Smart Car - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Smart Car
Sunday, January 15, 2006 8:59 PM
What do you guys think of the Smart Car? Beside the fact that it's a toy car , Does any body know any thing about them?

Re: Smart Car
Sunday, January 15, 2006 10:43 PM

you can buy one in canada, and I've seen a few already
(and I live in a real hick-town)
www.mercedes-benz.ca/mbccustom/smart/getsmart/

the plus side. they're cute commuters
- perfect gas saving, in-town machine
- a definite attention-getter

the down side. they're cute commuters
- not a very manly machine
- take one on a major highway at your own risk

[ o ][][][][][][][][ o ] cuz stock sux
Sunday, January 15, 2006 11:36 PM
Ahahaha... I remember seeing one of those on the interstate one day. I was looking at the back, thinking it was a mini-van or something. Then I passed it and was like "What the heck?!?!?!". That thing is freaking awesome!

* Premium as of January 25, 2005. Support the Org.
Monday, January 16, 2006 12:50 AM
they can do freeway speeds, I've tailed a few here on the Left coast, at 120km/h

I don't think they go much faster then that.
Monday, January 16, 2006 6:45 AM
my company owns 2 of them. they are actually quite good for a car in the city. they get ridiculous fuel mileage, they are just about the safest car on the road.
they do have some issues with highway driving, for instance... dont tailgate at over 100km/hr as the front tends to get a little floaty... as in turn the wheel and nothing happens lol.
they have enough power to go with regular traffic flow, and driving in congested areas is waaayy too easy. parking is just as ridiculous.
Monday, January 16, 2006 8:23 AM
I might take a job selling them, I was just curious if there was any other compition if you want a gas saving car like this.
Monday, January 16, 2006 8:53 AM
I don't think there is much of a compition in North America. Nothing really like it. Closest car would be a hybrid.

Monday, January 16, 2006 8:57 AM
These things get 100 km for 4.4 litre of fuel. I
Monday, January 16, 2006 9:27 AM
There's loads of them in Europe. They're surprisingly safe despite their size, although I still wouldn't fancy my chances against an Explorer. They get insane gas mileage, and the turbo one still does the quarter in about 18.5 or so... so they're not *super* slow...
Monday, January 16, 2006 10:22 AM
they are VERY safe. saw a video of one hittin a cement blockade at 70 and it turned out WAY better than most crash tests i see on cavs/hondas etc...

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Monday, January 16, 2006 10:50 AM
I think I may take this Job. Thanks for the input guys. I figure I would only have to sell 4 a month to make the same amount of money as I do now.

Monday, January 16, 2006 12:18 PM
J H wrote:There's loads of them in Europe. They're surprisingly safe despite their size, although I still wouldn't fancy my chances against an Explorer. They get insane gas mileage, and the turbo one still does the quarter in about 18.5 or so... so they're not *super* slow...

the smart car would crush the exploder in a head on. no joke.
Monday, January 16, 2006 2:45 PM
They are good urban cars but they seem a little expensive to buy for what you are getting and I heard they are very expensive to maintain. I have not been able to confirm but I heard that to change the oil the old oil need to be siphoned out since there is no drain plug.

Jabbles
Monday, January 16, 2006 3:26 PM
My dad want's one but I can't stop laughing at them, they're so tiny and thin

The funniest thing is watching one turn around in the parking lot, they have infinite turning radius lol.

Daimlerchrysler is selling them at Mercedes dealers here in Canada, they come in a few colours (lime green, dark blue, grey, red).

If saving gas is your thing then get one, you'll hardly fill up.

Monday, January 16, 2006 4:17 PM
I wanna hug them when I see them!!!

Seriously, they're bred for commuting, they have little potential for customisation (they have a 3 lug hub... WTF?), and the maintenance almost exclusively has to be performed at the dealership. I don't even think you can buy replacement tires for them because they're the low-rolling resistance tires and they're an odd size.

I'd consider one for commuting if I was doing it at low highway speeds, but I don't think I'll take one juuuust yet. They're about $20,000 CDN.

If it's not network news, it's probably the truth getting out.

If Teaching Evolution is Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Evolve.
Monday, January 16, 2006 10:13 PM
ive seen a few around here. never driven one but i might take one out for something to do on my day off.
wonder if there any good for donuts..................ill let you know

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Monday, January 16, 2006 11:00 PM
You will never sell one to a man.

They are rediculously expensive to maintain. Headlight bulbs are $40 a piece.

(We have one at work.... driven 24 hours a day...)

it's great on gas.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 8:35 AM
i saw one in miami one day. i was surprised because i didnt think they were going to be sold here

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 7:40 PM
blurred wrote:they are just about the safest car on the road.
they do have some issues with highway driving, for instance... dont tailgate at over 100km/hr as the front tends to get a little floaty... as in turn the wheel and nothing

floaty. that's the word i was thinking of... I would buy
one for city driving. I would NOT take one on the 401

GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:
they have little potential for customisation

oh. I don't know about that GAM. Brabus did a nice
job tuning one of these lil c*ck-suckers. They make
a basic SB1 performance kit that upgrades hp from
45to55 to 75hp. I know 75hp sounds funny, but the
car is sooo light that an extra 20hp is probably like
a shot of nos in freakin camaro hehe.

lots more pics

[ o ][][][][][][][][ o ] cuz stock sux
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search