vw guys need some help here - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
vw guys need some help here
Friday, January 13, 2006 10:07 AM
ok god (and my bank) have just graced me with an 02 vw gti 1.8t with a 5 speed auto with the manual shift thingy lol.

well heres my question the car runs awsome but when it warms up its really jumpy when it shifts into 3rd. my question is, is it suppose to do that i mean it shifts nice in all the other gears except 3rd

when you idle it out at a light it will jump hard aswell almost like a shift kit but i know it doesnt have one

thanks guys

PPPSSSS!!!! MMMMMmmmMMM boost=yummy

Re: vw guys need some help here
Friday, January 13, 2006 10:38 AM
I don't really know what to tell you, except for "go with a manual."

I have the same engine in my '03 passat, however it's a manual. Drives very nice, it's very quick, and no problems whatsoever at 78,000 miles....

You might want to take that to a mechanic before signing the deal...

Friday, January 13, 2006 11:10 AM
Ask the dealer and see if there is any new programming out for the transmission.
Saab had a programming problem with the third gear shifting erratic. The new software fixes that problem.

Saturday, January 14, 2006 1:07 PM
Nah I think you might just have some toasted clutches. Is the car stock or was it chipped? Take it to the dealer and see if they can check the fluid (VW auto's don't have trans dipsticks)
Saturday, January 14, 2006 1:17 PM
how many miles? cuz i bet anything over 50K without the fluid having been changed, and that puppy is TOAST.... because VW claims that their automatic transmission fluid is "fill for life", the average person won't change the fluid. The fluid and filter need to be changed every 30K, MAKE your dealer do it, because they will try to avoid doing it since they claim it doesn't need to be done.

It COULD be a programming issue, when I worked for dodge, one time i had done a trans flush on a sebring, and when i took it for a ride, when it shifted down coming to a stop it would THUNK really bad.... what I had to do was run a "quicklearn" which is where the ECU runs a quick test to evaluate the clutch volume indexes so that it knows how long to apply the shift solenoids. If you're lucky, it will be something like that, but I'm not sure what vw calls this procedure, if they even have it.

Actually, now that i think about it i seem to remember a few posts on vortex about a reflash for the tiptronic transmissions... try searching the technical forums over there: www.vwvortex.com

vw autos are bad news..... while they're fun when they work, they are expensive as hell to repair, and since vw is conning their customers with their "fill for life" nonsense, people get lulled into a false sense of security.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, January 14, 2006 2:01 PM
Best bet is to ask Darkstars, we is a VW mechanic in Chicago.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=1&i=333805&t=333704#333805
Saturday, January 14, 2006 3:51 PM
I just remembered, you can reset the transmission computer and get it to relearn shift points. Not perfect, but it often helps get rid of silly little trans problems. Turn the ignition on but don't start the engine. Put the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there for 30 seconds. Let off the gas and immediately start the engine.

Since those transmisisons are adaptive, occasionally they get confused when different people drive them. This resets it back to the original setup.
Saturday, January 14, 2006 5:56 PM
I work for AUDI and they are also "fill for life" so to speak, but i did do a tranny service on a A8 yesterday, the filter was so clogged that it was buzzing inside of its metal housing. but as for the 1.8;s ya fill for life, but i have seen some toasted ones, people think they are race cars, if it only does it in tiptronic mode, dont use it i guess, or just tell the vw dealership to check it out for you, it has to be certified before it can hit the lot. good luck.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search