Celica GT vs. GT-S - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Celica GT vs. GT-S
Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:15 AM
What is the "lift" that makes the GT-S have 40 more hp than the GT. Both engins have variable valve timing with "inteligence" but i notice the L in the VVTL-i engine in the GT-S stads for lift. so that't my question.

What is the "LIFT"?

Re: Celica GT vs. GT-S
Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:27 AM
lift is what opens the valves

pretty much the same as a vtech honda , you get to a certian point and the motor switches to a higher lift cam profile for more power in the higher rpm range

Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:08 AM
The GTS also ONLY requires premium gas, doesn't it?
Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:38 AM
do yourselves a favor, and hit up google for these two engine codes: 1ZZ-FE and 2ZZ-GE

the 1ZZ is in the corolla/prizm, matrix/vibe, and celica GT. the 2ZZ is the motor in the GT-S and corolla/matrix XRS. there's a bit of a power jump, and the compression ratio goes from 9.2:1 to 11.5:1. the 2ZZ also requires premium gas...anything lower and you'll get some pretty bad problems.

here's one link to get you started: http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20Information/2ZZ-GE_tech_notes.htm
Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:09 AM
Thanks. Pretty interesting stuff.
Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:55 PM
not a problem.

i almost shoved a 2zz into my corolla. things went south, and i couldn't go through with it...but that would have been nice.
Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:09 PM
Dont get the GTS!!!! To many people miss shifts while flooring it, and blow headgaskets. Its a HUGE prolbem they have. Its due to the high compression.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 11:34 PM
Quote:

Dont get the GTS!!!! To many people miss shifts while flooring it, and blow headgaskets. Its a HUGE prolbem they have. Its due to the high compression.

haha funny u say that... that happened to a kid a few weeks ago around here.

the GTS has around 11:1 or 11.5:1 compression. the GT only has around 9.5:1 or 10:1 also i dont believe the GT has vvt.

Friday, January 13, 2006 2:28 AM
reading owns you. i've already mentioned the compression.
Friday, January 13, 2006 7:38 AM
know how to drive, dont miss shifts, and youll be fine..

Friday, January 13, 2006 8:13 AM

Quote:

The 2ZZGE has problems. Bent valves from missed shifts have been common. Sticking valve mechanism also cause unscheduled visits to the Toyota Dealers.
-http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20Information/2ZZ-GE_tech_notes.htm

It happens...

Friday, January 13, 2006 8:18 AM
KEN 2.2 wrote:Dont get the GTS!!!! To many people miss shifts while flooring it, and blow headgaskets. Its a HUGE prolbem they have. Its due to the high compression.

if you break your car due to a misshift that is the fault of the driver NOT the car.

Friday, January 13, 2006 11:36 AM
Here's what I have learned after two days of looking at nothing but the 1ZZ-GE and 2ZZ-GE motors...

An automatic Celica GT-S is actually slower than it's automatic Celica GT counterpart. (Well, the GT is quicker)

2000-01 GT-S had an extremely tight shift gate and a high rev limit (8350 rpm). This led to the mis-shifts. People in the Celica forums had numerous stpries of how the downshifted from 5th to 2nd and it completely messed there car up. Toyota has since lowered the rev limit to 7200 rpm and widened the shift gate. Kinda of defeats the purpose though (IMO)

So, if you want a sports car that has a good top end but kind of lacks in acceleration unless you get the 6 sppeds which is infamous for mis-shifts than the GT-S is for you. I'd take. Of course, you probably won't see me downshifting at 90 mph unless I really need to pass that Corvette.

Case closed. Thanks for the help.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search