best for the money? 06 civic si or cobalt ss/sc? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
best for the money? 06 civic si or cobalt ss/sc?
Sunday, November 13, 2005 3:25 PM
was wanting to know what everyone thought, as in aftermarket support. which car do you think is best for the money, . because both rides look sweet. and both are sporty, the quality is there for both, but as far as modfying which would be the best ? just wanna see what the concesus on the org think.

ClassGlass / RkSport / Eibach / Motegi / Ractive / Borla / K&N

Re: best for the money? 06 civic si or cobalt ss/
Sunday, November 13, 2005 3:50 PM
Hard to say but Id go Civic Si. The aftermarket will be huge. But its cool to have a car not 656735 people have. So maybe Cobalt SS

“Things fall apart. The cracks get wider: More paper is used, with increasing ingenuity, to cover them. Madness implodes, as people are slowly crushed, or, perhaps worse, help in crushing others.”

--Jon Savage
--Melody Maker’s Review of Joy Division’s Unknown Pleasures when asked “ How has Unknown Pleasures has affected you”

Sunday, November 13, 2005 4:02 PM
^^^thats a good honest opinion.........lets keep em coming.

ClassGlass / RkSport / Eibach / Motegi / Ractive / Borla / K&N

Sunday, November 13, 2005 4:11 PM
The hype around the '06 Si has at least in my mind surpassed the cobalt SS by far. That would be one reason to go for the SS. In a couple years I would say the ratio of Cobalt SS Supercharged to Civic Si will be something like 5:1.

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Sunday, November 13, 2005 4:11 PM
^ I mean 1:5

Sunday, November 13, 2005 4:27 PM
You pose this question on GM website and you do realize for a fact that a large majority will say a GM car.
Just pointing the obvious.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, November 13, 2005 5:08 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:You pose this question on GM website and you do realize for a fact that a large majority will say a GM car.

very true.

I'd go with the civic for many reasons:

Resale value is important to me
197HP
210HP( or around there? ) w/ supercharger
Fit 'n Finish/Quality(dont know on the 06 but if its anything like the 00+ it will be nice)
Most likely will have more after market
and personally the way GM has been i would not put my money into their company; while Honda is doing great.

Sunday, November 13, 2005 5:08 PM
^ not neccessarily. He asked a specific question as far as aftermarket support so... I have no doubt that 1 year after the release of the Si it will have overtaken the SS in terms of units sold and aftermarket support will probably be double.

www.drluc.ca
Sunday, November 13, 2005 5:45 PM
As far as real aftermarket support, I think the Civic will far outstrip any 3 other cars. It's a really popular platform.

I'd prefer something that is pretty good out of the box, and is already made for boost... I'd pick the Cobalt SS/SC.

You just get more for the money:
S/C with intercooler,
LSD
Recaro leather seats,
18" rims...

From what I've read, it handles decently, and that can be fixed up fairly easily with smaller rims and tires and a lowering package. Bang for the buck, I'd say Cobalt. If you're looking for longevity and resale, Civic... but just bear in mind, the minute you start any serious mods on the car, you're warranty is toilet paper.

If it's not network news, it's probably the truth getting out.

Some people are like slinkies: Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them
down a flight of stairs.
Sunday, November 13, 2005 5:51 PM
as soon as you drive the cobalt off the dealers lot, you will lost almost half your resale

civic, you shouldne even have to ask yourself. buy the cevy if you dont mind taking it into the dealer for warrenty work every week

The new
95 240 rb25det powered
stock block, over 500 rwhp
the old
98gsr
676whp@9,760rpm@27psi and 115octane
404ft/lbs@8,200rpm
11.187@130.73mph
Sunday, November 13, 2005 5:56 PM
Cobalt vs Civic SI?

Civic is NA when purchased, and easily boosted by s/c or turbo.

Cobalt is s/c and can easily be turbo'd for more boost and a faster car. Sell the S/C parts to somebody on the ORG or ebay and you pretty much have enough to cover the cost of the turbo kit.

I would think the Cobalt would be faster for cheaper in the long run if you went the turbo route and did the set up CORRECTLY.

Josh
SLK 32

Sunday, November 13, 2005 6:19 PM
cobalts are better looking, and i would rather keep my money in the us.....
civics will have aftermarket support x29312328838 but there will also be 29312328838 of them

i personally would take the Cobalt SS

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Sunday, November 13, 2005 6:39 PM
turboGSR wrote:as soon as you drive the cobalt off the dealers lot, you will lost almost half your resale

civic, you shouldne even have to ask yourself. buy the cevy if you dont mind taking it into the dealer for warrenty work every week

Uh huh...

You seem to miss the fact that every car depreciates over 20% as soon as you sign the papers. That's EVERY car, even Civics.

BTW, Civics have problems too... they're not Engineering's gift to the world.

And, if you want to be different just like everyone else, Civic is great. </sarcasm>

down a flight of stairs.
Sunday, November 13, 2005 7:12 PM
id say ss
pulley swap
a few other mods and you will be pulling some really nice times

and mr. GSR did you read the post about the 06 civics having a recall before they left the lots

other cars, better cars?
Sunday, November 13, 2005 7:44 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:You pose this question on GM website and you do realize for a fact that a large majority will say a GM car.

hehehe, well we cant all tell him to go for the civic can we? What would be the point of asking?

Sunday, November 13, 2005 8:19 PM
I'd take the Cobalt SS. Its faster from the factory and already has aftermarket parts available. The Ecotec has proven itself as strong engine that can take tons of HP. As for the superior quality of the Civic....Honda has issued a recall on it already. It seems that the accelerator may haven been attached incorrectly which may cause it to stick. Oh yeah love that superior quality

"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding"
Monday, November 14, 2005 1:09 AM
I can't say I've seen the SI, but I work with the new civic every day, and I just don't like it. It's really akward and ugly, in my opinion. If you live in an area where you get a real winter, Honda's suck a** in the winter. Get a 2000 Civic SIR, they were still good then. I'd spend a bit more and get an Acura RSX Type S, then you could at least look good.

But the Cobalt has the horrible cheap plastic interior. I'd take the Cobalt SS anyway.

But the sound and feeling of a Honda engine at 8000rpm is so satisfying.
hmm.......
Monday, November 14, 2005 1:23 AM
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:As far as real aftermarket support, I think the Civic will far outstrip any 3 other cars. It's a really popular platform.

I'd prefer something that is pretty good out of the box, and is already made for boost... I'd pick the Cobalt SS/SC.

You just get more for the money:
S/C with intercooler,
LSD
Recaro leather seats,
18" rims...

From what I've read, it handles decently, and that can be fixed up fairly easily with smaller rims and tires and a lowering package. Bang for the buck, I'd say Cobalt. If you're looking for longevity and resale, Civic... but just bear in mind, the minute you start any serious mods on the car, you're warranty is toilet paper.

Agree 100%, Great post!!
Monday, November 14, 2005 6:30 AM
Neither car really appeal much to me..

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Monday, November 14, 2005 7:31 AM
If look at long term investment, 20 years I'm talking. The Cobalt SS with the 2.4 VVT in a fully stripped down version will be best resale. Powerwise, turbo'd SS 2.4 VVT. VVT has many legs up on the other two cars.

Monday, November 14, 2005 7:39 AM
^^^???
im confused as to what cars your are talking about
he asked about the s/c cobalt

other cars, better cars?

Monday, November 14, 2005 8:01 AM
He was talking about resale so I gave my opinion into what will have the best resale and the best performance at the same time.

Monday, November 14, 2005 9:17 AM
GET A FRICKEN SCION TC S/C lol

sorry just had to

anyways between the civic and the SS S/C hmm thats a tough one

i guess it would have to go to the cobalt as i love boost and well the Si would need lots of mods to make it boost compable as it has 11:1 compression ratio which isnt good for boost at all unless your only looking to pump like 4psi into it lol not to mention all the engine management to make it work ugg what a nightmare.. trust me i know how bad it can be to make a car thats not ment for boost boosted correctly

so yeah cobalt as i like to go fast for the least money possible so its my pick for the best bang for the buck

as to resale youre screwed ether way, but yeah maybe if you sell the car in like 10 years the civic will be worth like a grand more both cars will lose alot of value as soon as you buy it

Monday, November 14, 2005 1:56 PM
DEFINETLY HONDA
Monday, November 14, 2005 2:36 PM
scott miles wrote:DEFINETLY HONDA
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=6&i=104210&t=104210

down a flight of stairs.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search