moving to a better car? LS1? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
moving to a better car? LS1?
Friday, October 28, 2005 1:24 PM
ok iv been thinking alot lately as far as my car goes. and yeah its sweet havin a boosted cavi that can run a low 13/possible high 12. iv realized something when researching to do my bottom end... in the end.. its still a cavalier.. and a couple years when i try and sell it, i might be able to pull 6-7k out of it.. if that.

then i noticed most of the people on this site and their cars. trading in their cavis and getting better cars.. STI's, evo's, gto's, best of all the ls1 camaro.. while a cavi running 15-20psi would take or keep up with most of the cars.. its still bad ass to own those types.

i guess what im saying is. what made alot of people want to upgrade from a jbody to something like that? my dream car is a 00-02 ls1. and the money im into my car i could have easily bought one. and the fact that to do my bottom end and fuel system and clutch on my car, i could sell it/ trade in on a nice LS1

granted a 2600lb turbo cavalier is fast and can keep up with most STOCK cars in that area... its still a cavalier and will never be worth anything.

what about people that bought LS1's on here? how do you like them? anything to watch out for when getting them? like the water pump or the #3 rod bearing a a 2.4?

Re: moving to a better car? LS1?
Friday, October 28, 2005 1:36 PM
I like both of mine

It's a matter of choice man. If you think it's time to move on then by all means do so

I love my LS2 and would never give it up, but I also love my fire and that is the reason i kept it

I say go test driving and find out what you want for yourself, of course everyone loves their LSx, if they didn't they would be thrown in the looney bin

................Which car will hit 400 whp first???................
Friday, October 28, 2005 1:58 PM
I <3 the goat
but also want to get my old cav back to build the crap out of it

other cars, better cars?
Friday, October 28, 2005 2:18 PM
Cavaliers and 4 bangers in general are cool and I still love them (my Toyota pickup is a 2.4L 4 cylinder), but my GTO is a lot nicer in every possible area.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Friday, October 28, 2005 3:09 PM
I'd say definatly go for the 2000-2002 ls1. I think 300+ rwhp is typical, stock. A guy I know has a procharged 01 with 6.0ltr heads (from the gm truck line up, to lower compression), headers/exaust that was making 541rwhp on pump gas.

Thats definatly my dream car, a 6spd ta from 98-2002.

2000 z24
1985 z28 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/825536
Friday, October 28, 2005 3:26 PM
I got rid of my LS1 motor.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747
Some blinker fluid and a couple muffler bearings.

Friday, October 28, 2005 4:46 PM
I think that a turbo Cav is awesome if it is something you plan on keeping. But if you want a fast car that is resaleable at some point get a LS1 and ditch the cavi. I started down the same path as you but before i bought my turbo i though long and hard and decided a Cavlaier wasn't something i wanted to keep, but was a more disposable car.

I picked up My 87 Turbo Regal and the only way that thing is ever leaving my posession is theft or my death. Maybe if someone offered me a @!#$load of cash but i have already been offered 12k for it and turned them down.

So basically my opinion only dump money into something you are gonna keep for the long haul other wise it is a waste of money.

I don't need no stinking SIG. Wait this is one.
DOH!
Friday, October 28, 2005 4:49 PM
Get an 98+ f-body ls1. I did and don't regret it at all. Its also nice not having to lift the doors up everytime I get in.

Friday, October 28, 2005 5:52 PM
get the ls1 and turbo it i kinda wish i would of bought a ss maro instead of buy and cobalt ss which im now stuck with unless i want to loss my ass, but idk how the maro would take to snow since it would be the dd

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Friday, October 28, 2005 6:12 PM
is there any problems with LS1's? whats the life expectcy on one? i know it depends on how hard i drive it. but LD9's get atleast 100k and im sure the ecos can do the same.

is there anything i should be concerned about with LS1's? overheating? rear ends? hows the tranny's? the 6 speed is a borg warner i believe. how do they hold up? clutches? or the auto tranny? is it still the 700r4? what gearing?

Friday, October 28, 2005 6:28 PM
I think everyone goes through this at one point or another. For awhile I was considering trading my Cavy, but I talked myself out of it. The reason was that if I'm going to modify a car to any degree, I'm going to do so for the long haul. That isn't to say that I'm going to stick with one car forever, it's just that I'm gonna run it into the ground if it is a project.

Why not buy a new car, and strip out the Cavy, install a roll cage, and use it for a weekend road racing/autocross car. In the grand scheme of things, cavaliers are cheap to buy parts for, so it wouldn't really matter if it got a little banged up on a track. I would much rather smash up a cavalier then I would any other more expensive car. Engines are relatively cheap to should something happen there.

This isn't for everyone though, as not all people are into road racing, or have it readily available, but it's a thought.

Friday, October 28, 2005 7:11 PM
I absolutly love my camaro......with no boost, no spray, no blower and min. mods i am running 12.60s on pump gas and went 12.49 with high octane i have a 98 ls1 automatic w/ no stall converter (in those cars typical for 5-6 tenths in the 1/4 for a converter) i love the car, it is a 4L60E transmission not 700r4 any other info i can try and help with, i also have a ton of pics too if you need be

12.693 @ 110.86 All Motor No Nitrous!!
Friday, October 28, 2005 9:21 PM
??
why did you need high octane?

other cars, better cars?
Friday, October 28, 2005 10:00 PM
^^^ I was about to post the same question.

What I have heard and noticed from the f-body community is that the rear ends are not the best. they usually start taking a crap on you after you do some modding on a car. Usually once your putting out around 400rwhp. Which is usually all the bolt ons and then a cam. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

Friday, October 28, 2005 10:24 PM
its not a 12 bolt rear end. which means its not as strong as it needs to be.

Best Time 15.917 at 86.86MPH

Saturday, October 29, 2005 1:51 AM
John H [Cavalierkid wrote:]granted a 2600lb turbo cavalier is fast and can keep up with most STOCK cars in that area... its still a cavalier and will never be worth anything.

still u can do all the work in the world to your car and just beat stock cars, its not worth it

-Borsty
Saturday, October 29, 2005 7:03 AM
Rear end is weak. I expect to break mine soon.

LS1 requires premium fuel.
How long the motor/car will last depends on the mods and maintanence. It was built to spin up.
I have heard about guys adding superchargers at 120,000 miles and still making over 500 RWHP.

Me....I pulled the LS1 at 29,300 miles.

Saturday, October 29, 2005 7:43 AM
because of the compression of those motors the high octane fuel helps the motor, not for everyday use but once in a while, over the winter i will have a converter (shipped), Moser 9" bolt in rear, either fully forged internals and cammed ls1 or 406 sb either one with direct port nitrous oxide hoping to run low 11s high 10s ans still be streetable we will see though who knows. i love the f-body that is all!!

12.693 @ 110.86 All Motor No Nitrous!!
Saturday, October 29, 2005 12:14 PM
Premium fuel is all that should be put in. At least 91 octane. Mine never gets anything but premium.
The compression on a stock LS1 is 10.1:1. You could get by on mid-grade, but at WOT you would probably get some knock retard. Slight pinging.
I can't see gaining anything running race gas on an LS1 with stock internals. At least not without a tune for the race gas.

Saturday, October 29, 2005 12:20 PM
Quote:

still u can do all the work in the world to your car and just beat stock cars, its not worth it

i know.. thats what im realizing. unlike MOST of the crowd around here and the honda people.. its not that fun taking out stock v8's. yeah its a lot faster stock, but whats the point in racing a stock car... and like u said.. if i raced a cammed ls1 or one with heads.. yeah id still loose.

Quote:

Premium fuel is all that should be put in. At least 91 octane. Mine never gets anything but premium.

yeah thats a givin. doesnt really bother me.. i run 91-92 in my car. what kinda gas millage do you guys get? like 12-15?

how much is a Moser 9" bolt or a stronger rear end? does it fit right in?

Saturday, October 29, 2005 1:07 PM
My M6 car got 25/31 with bolt-ons.

Got 22.5/27.5 when it was cammed.

Saturday, October 29, 2005 1:20 PM
cavalier91 wrote:because of the compression of those motors the high octane fuel helps the motor, not for everyday use but once in a while, over the winter i will have a converter (shipped), Moser 9" bolt in rear, either fully forged internals and cammed ls1 or 406 sb either one with direct port nitrous oxide hoping to run low 11s high 10s ans still be streetable we will see though who knows. i love the f-body that is all!!

yeah
anything higher than a standard premium is a waste of money

other cars, better cars?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search