Consumer Reports: Most Reliable for 2006 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Consumer Reports: Most Reliable for 2006
Friday, October 28, 2005 10:28 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/10/26/cr_most_reliable/index.html

Best predicted reliability:

(As calculated by Consumer Reports)

Small cars:
Toyota Echo
Honda Civic (2005)
Toyota Prius
Honda Civic Hybrid (2005)
Toyota Corolla
Subaru Impreza (non-turbo)

Sporty cars/Convertibles Coupes
Honda S2000
Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005)
Lexus SC430
Chevrolet Monte Carlo (2005)

Sedans
Lexus GS300/GS430
Infiniti M35/M45
Lexus IS300 (2005)
Honda Accord Hybrid
Toyota Camry
Honda Accord 4-cyl.
Lexus LS430

Wagons
Toyota Matrix

Minivans
(None rated "Best")

Small SUVs
Toyota Rav4 (2005)
Honda CR-V
Honda Element
Subaru Forester
Mercury Mariner
Mitsubishi Outlander

Mid-sized SUVs
Lexus RX400h (hybrid)
Toyota Highlander
Toyota 4Runner (V-8)
Infiniti FX35

Large SUVs
Toyota Land Cruiser

Pick-up trucks
Honda Ridgeline
Toyota Tundra

Wonder why Toyota is surpassing GM as Top automaker...

"Chuck Norris sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled martial arts ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Chuck roundhouse kicked the devil in the face and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month."

Re: Consumer Reports: Most Reliable for 2006
Friday, October 28, 2005 4:24 PM
Wow.. Only 1 non import.. Whatever, I don't buy it.. My Ion is still going strong.. GM all the way.

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Friday, October 28, 2005 4:32 PM
have you ever read a consumer report?
they read somewhat biased to me.

other cars, better cars?
Friday, October 28, 2005 5:10 PM
Our 02 fire has been a gem. Only one recall that was fixed under warranty. *crosses fingers

Friday, October 28, 2005 5:37 PM
GM is paying about 2 grand for every car sold into the pension of former employees. This hurts them in quality because a car that toyota or honda can make for 20k and sell for 22k, GM would have to make for 18K to sell it for 22k just to make the same profit. If they didn't have to fund the pensions they could put this money into improving the cars and still sell them for the same price.

Domestic auto manufacturers will continue to lag the imports until something is done about these legacy costs. The unions are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs and if the trend continues GM and others will have to file bankrupcy to restructure and the pensions will either go away, be taken over by the government or be substantially reduced.
Friday, October 28, 2005 5:38 PM
2 no imports....merc and monte still b/s

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Friday, October 28, 2005 5:40 PM
Sappy96 wrote:have you ever read a consumer report?

Nah, just read about it, I checked up on wikipdedia and they did back up what you just said, they seem a lil biased towards U.S. automakers.

"Consumer Reports' tests and ratings of automobiles are highly controversial as some have charged that they are often biased against U.S. automobile companies."

"Chuck Norris sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled martial arts ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Chuck roundhouse kicked the devil in the face and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month."
Friday, October 28, 2005 6:52 PM

thank you

i get the car issue every year, they are so hard on any american product out there, i don't get it

im not saying that american cars are better, or even the same cuz there not quite on the same level, but they are DEFFINTLY better then what this magazine always puts out. like 6/7 of my best friends have american cars (well all GM), and only one has ever had a problem in the past 2 years....that was my friends blazer

Friday, October 28, 2005 6:54 PM
i dont buy that list

no hyundai

doesnt make sense

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Friday, October 28, 2005 7:02 PM
Labotomi wrote:GM is paying about 2 grand for every car sold into the pension of former employees. This hurts them in quality because a car that toyota or honda can make for 20k and sell for 22k, GM would have to make for 18K to sell it for 22k just to make the same profit. If they didn't have to fund the pensions they could put this money into improving the cars and still sell them for the same price.

Domestic auto manufacturers will continue to lag the imports until something is done about these legacy costs. The unions are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs and if the trend continues GM and others will have to file bankrupcy to restructure and the pensions will either go away, be taken over by the government or be substantially reduced.

Unions are killing America. Period.

They are why companies are sending great jobs out of the country.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Friday, October 28, 2005 8:51 PM
Ooops, I didn't see the Merc, my bad. I agree, domestics aren't nearly as bad as magazines make them out to be!!

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe

Friday, October 28, 2005 9:20 PM
Red TwoJayZee wrote:

Nah, just read about it, I checked up on wikipdedia and they did back up what you just said, they seem a lil biased towards U.S. automakers.

"Consumer Reports' tests and ratings of automobiles are highly controversial as some have charged that they are often biased against U.S. automobile companies."

that was confusing

i was referring to the point that they seem biased against us automakers

other cars, better cars?
Friday, October 28, 2005 9:23 PM
This is the most retarded list I've ever seen.

You can't predict reliability. You have to judge reliability based upon how long a car has been in production. They put a freaking Honda Ridgeline and the thing hasn't even been out that long!

Saturday, October 29, 2005 12:57 AM
Red TwoJayZee wrote:predicted
Red TwoJayZee wrote:Consumer Reports

Biggest load of horse @!#$ ever. Consumer Reports couldn't predict ice in Antarctica.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Saturday, October 29, 2005 7:51 AM
consumer reports suck.

i'm baaaaack!!
Saturday, October 29, 2005 9:19 AM
Honda Ridgeline, ofcourse you're gonna have a reliable truck when all you can tow is half a sea-doo and a cooler in the bed
Saturday, October 29, 2005 11:01 AM
Sappy96 wrote:
Red TwoJayZee wrote:

that was confusing

i was referring to the point that they seem biased against us automakers

What I meant was, this is the first time I read about any Consumer Report review, and yes they are biased towards US automakers, Wikipedia seems to back that up.

Saturday, October 29, 2005 11:42 AM
RoNuS20 wrote:This is the most retarded list I've ever seen.

You can't predict reliability. You have to judge reliability based upon how long a car has been in production. They put a freaking Honda Ridgeline and the thing hasn't even been out that long!

But its a HONDUH

its like reading car and driver... import import imports, blah.

Saturday, October 29, 2005 1:21 PM
Emor8t wrote:
RoNuS20 wrote:This is the most retarded list I've ever seen.

But its a HONDUH

its like reading car and driver... import import imports, blah.

how is this biased towards american car makers in any way shape or form?

other cars, better cars?
Saturday, October 29, 2005 2:14 PM
I think Car & Driver are biased too. On there tv show it seems like they totally dog on the american cars and trucks and hype up the imports. I think the only american car they ever give props to is the C6.
Spitfire2332 wrote:Honda Ridgeline, ofcourse you're gonna have a reliable truck when all you can tow is half a sea-doo and a cooler in the bed

Saturday, October 29, 2005 2:37 PM
Im not trying to start a war, but, do you think maybe its because they have found the Imports to ACTUALLY BE MORE RELIABLE???

Call me crazy, but i think people get their panties in a bunch when they see that no american cars rank in quality polls or any other poll.

Would you honestly be able to come on here and say Car and Driver, Motor Trend, or Consumer Reports was biased if they picked nothing but American cars and two imports?? I doubt it, youd sit there ragging on imports talking about how great Consumer Reports was and how they love the FILL IN THE BLANK. But because they rank American cars behind their Import counterparts, all of a sudden these magazines are rags. Consumer Reports must have some good standing in the community since their ratings are used by damn near every industy in America!!!!

These rankings are based on predictons. Im sure they are using data compiled this year, as well as previous years, quality reports, testing, ect to come up with the data. They arent even ragging on American cars, they are just saying that BASED ON THEIR DATA THESE SELECTED CARS ARE JUDGED TO BE THE MOST RELIABLE.

And whomever said, how can you predict that? How can they predict anything in the world? By analyzing data and determing who they think is the best, wether its car rankings, who's gonna win the Super Bowl, or which horse they think will win

Saturday, October 29, 2005 2:54 PM
Imports are better

Saturday, October 29, 2005 3:00 PM
Imports are more reliable, but read my post above. The domestic auto makers are doing a helluva job just to keep in the race considering the 2 grand head start their giving the imports.

If you were to take away the legacy costs of the US manufacturers the quality would easily equal and most likely surpass the imports.
Saturday, October 29, 2005 4:30 PM
JAMMIT wrote:[quote=Labotomi

Unions are killing America. Period.

They are why companies are sending great jobs out of the country.

The lack of more unions is what is killing America!! It never ceases to amaze me how people bad mouth unions when all they try to do is get decent wages, working conditions, benefits, healthcare, and job security for there members. It's too bad that 80% or more of American workers are too stupid to stand up for themselves and demand some of the very things I mentioned above. To many Americans are to scared to take a stand and are afraid they might lose there $7.50 an hour job. Thats what the Wal-Marts of the world are counting on to stay nonunion. At the same time companies are raking in the profits all the while telling there workers how tuff things are. If you don't believe me just look at the huge profits oil companies are making. I get tired of nonunion workers bitching about I dont make no money but if you don't stand up for yourself and demand better then shut the f*+k up!. Are unions perfect ? NO. The union workers at the big three are going to have to work with the automakers in order to help the companies compete. The union workers are the people who helped build these companies into the giants that they are. Over the years the companies promised there workers the benefits and pensions that they receive. No one held a gun to there head. They should not be allowed to declare chapter 11 to get out of paying the benefits that they promised.

New Yeller
Rice is nice,but where's the BEEF!
02lssport.jpg
Saturday, October 29, 2005 4:44 PM
The unions blackmailed the companies with the threat of striking and shutting down production. That's how they came to have these ridiculous packages. I've been around many union workers who were worthless but will continue to draw the same paycheck as the workers who put forth the best effort they can and that's screwed up. Do you really think it's a coincidence that the non unionized manufacturers are the most profitable.

The unions are screwing the manufacturers and their selves by not accepting restructured wages. Is it better to have the workers accept a wage cut to get more in-line with what their true value is to the company or keep overpaying them and cause plants to close or companies to go bankrupt?

I work for Nucor Steel who is nonunion. Many companies in the steel industry are unionized and there have been some attempts at unionizing Nucor which have always been voted down. Look at the past few years in the steel industry and notice which ones have been outperforming the sector. The non unionized plants are more efficient which equates to lower costs per ton and higher profit margins. Same thing goes for the auto industry.

And if you think I'm getting screwed, I'd be glad to compare wages/benefits and job security with any of the unionized plants.

Unions were a good thing years ago, but now there are many laws that protect the workers without having to resort to blackmail.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search