cobalt oil change - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cobalt oil change
Sunday, October 16, 2005 4:13 PM
i heard that in order to change the oil on the supercharged cobalts the super charger has to be removed. and that the price tag for the oil change is around $500 its probally just a bad rumor but does anyone know
thanks

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg

Re: cobalt oil change
Sunday, October 16, 2005 4:20 PM
i'm sure it's s rumor....but it sounds like something stupid a$$ GM engineers would think up. most likely not true though

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Sunday, October 16, 2005 4:25 PM
Whoever told you that is an idiot.
Sunday, October 16, 2005 4:26 PM
Yeah, i heard it was 1000

Sunday, October 16, 2005 4:32 PM
that would be messed up if you oil change was more than your payment.

Sunday, October 16, 2005 4:35 PM
i dont see most people that own a cobalt springing for a 5 bill oil change

Sunday, October 16, 2005 4:39 PM
shoot, the oil change on my 2.4 cavy is almost 700 dollars. something about it needing a special inner oil pan filter. i hate it but the guy told me its necessary to change my oil every week. stupid GM.

hahaha

its bs...a car manufacturer would commit PR suicide to make a car where the owner is incapable of changing their own oil.

GO PATS!!!
Sunday, October 16, 2005 4:42 PM
yea i thought it was thought id ask
thanks guys

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Sunday, October 16, 2005 4:44 PM
hasn't GM already commited PR suicide by building huge piles of junk for years and years that they now must "employee" discount them just move them? oh, and go bankrupt?

again doubt full that is true...about the oil change that is. The GM sucking part is true though.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Sunday, October 16, 2005 4:45 PM
i've also heard from a few people that you have to pay the dealership to change your oil for the time period of your warranty or you'll void your warranty. that one is bs too.

GO PATS!!!
Sunday, October 16, 2005 4:45 PM
lol

Sunday, October 16, 2005 4:47 PM
Sparks (Puddin') wrote:its bs...a car manufacturer would commit PR suicide to make a car where the owner is incapable of changing their own oil.

Actually there's quite a few cars that the owner can't change the oil on. Even the Cobalt requires a special socket to change the oil filter.
Sunday, October 16, 2005 5:05 PM
no it doesnt
the cavalier is the same way

other cars, better cars?
Sunday, October 16, 2005 5:09 PM
how do stupid ass rumors like this get started? is it really THAT hard to look under your car and figure it out??? is it because i was raised to be a car guy by a car guy that i don't have a problem with simple stuff such as changing my oil/filter? is getting a socket wrench and loosening the drain plug (heard someone yesterday call it a drain screw)really an advanced procedure? c'mon...my wife knows how to change the oil on her car so it can't be too hard...

GO PATS!!!
Sunday, October 16, 2005 5:20 PM
Sappy96 wrote:no it doesnt
the cavalier is the same way

Are you talking to me? The ecotec needs a special socket to remove the filter. I work on them every day. Some people bend wrenches, other modify sockets, but a normal socket wont fit.

2.2 Oil Filter Socket
Sunday, October 16, 2005 6:19 PM
i have one sitting in my garage
you can get it w/ a wrench

other cars, better cars?
Sunday, October 16, 2005 7:28 PM
yeah go buy 1 1/4 socket and voila comes right off

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, October 16, 2005 7:36 PM
yea i use an everyday, generic brand, 12 point 1 1/4 socket on my oil filter

like mentioned above just open your hood and look around your engine some time get to know what and where everything is including oil change items

The one, the only, ME.
Sunday, October 16, 2005 9:58 PM
Monday, October 17, 2005 3:13 PM
good job jeffie

other cars, better cars?
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 5:25 PM
Some people are stupid (me) and installed a CAI, then put a bypass valve on it before they knew that it had a oil cartridge on top of the engine. Bottom line is that the bypass valve I put on is right over, and blocking the path, to the oil cartridge, and now I have to take part of the intake off to change the oil.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 12:58 AM
STOLEN!!!! wrote:i heard that in order to change the oil on the supercharged cobalts the super charger has to be removed. and that the price tag for the oil change is around $500 its probally just a bad rumor but does anyone know
thanks

the $500 price quote is probably for the supercharger oil, not the motor oil. eaton superchargers (at least earlier ones) only have one hole for oil to fill and empty them. in order for the generally senseless stealerships to change the oil, they have to take the supercharger off, and flip it upside down. all you really need is a syringe and some tubing, or an old liquid soap dispenser thing. on the upside, the oil almost never needs to be changed. just check the level. if it's low, fill it. that's what im guessin, anyway.

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search