Lengthen the 02 sensor? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lengthen the 02 sensor?
Monday, February 27, 2006 6:53 AM
well i installed header and downpipe yesterday, the spot for the o2 sensor sits lower down than it did on the stock header and i need to lengthen the wires.

is there any special way of doing this or anything because i thought i may have heard that you shouldnt mess with that wire. otherwise i was just going to cut and splice it, solder and shrinkwrap it

any help would be great, thanks

Re: Lengthen the 02 sensor?
Monday, February 27, 2006 8:38 AM
my buddy did it on his 99 sunfire 2.2 and he didnt have any problems he didnt even solder the wires. I would do what you said though and solder and shrink wrap the wire ive also heard things about not messing with the wire but as long as you do a good job i dont see a problem.good luck.
Monday, February 27, 2006 9:35 AM
I believe you can only lengthen the wire on the PCM side of the connector.

Monday, February 27, 2006 12:16 PM
I lengthen the wires for mine and had nothing but trouble. Went through 2 sensor at $80 a sensor. Finally I got smart and opened up the harness and pulled enough wire out to reach. It barely reaches but it will.
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 4:04 AM
i cut mine and lengthened it. i've had no problems whatsoever. just make sure that the connections are soldered and can't get wet.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:03 AM
ok, thanx guys i plan on lengthening my precat sensor this weekend. just one more quick question, my check engine light is on right now, but thats to be expected due to the fact that i dont have the precat o2 sensor hooked up right now. im hoping it will turn off after i connect the sensor, but ive heard that sometimes the light will stay on after putting a hi flo cat on. is this true? because that light annoys the hell outta me

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 8:22 PM
gotta find out the code...
and yes sometimes it comes on after hiflow cat depends on the cat and the car... its kinda hit-and-miss

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 9:07 PM
Tom DiGrazia wrote:ok, thanx guys i plan on lengthening my precat sensor this weekend. just one more quick question, my check engine light is on right now, but thats to be expected due to the fact that i dont have the precat o2 sensor hooked up right now. im hoping it will turn off after i connect the sensor, but ive heard that sometimes the light will stay on after putting a hi flo cat on. is this true? because that light annoys the hell outta me

Only some highflow cats that happens with, i have this one posted below and never threw a code.

Magnaflow High flow cat - MPE-94035 $67.95 Summitracing.com

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search