Timing belt/chain change? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Timing belt/chain change?
Thursday, January 05, 2006 3:26 AM
Is it a rather easy job to do? Since its my first time would it be easy is what i should ask? And what all needs to be taken off to do it and whats goin to be replaced while im in there? and finally should i replace it since im at about @!#$ ill post my milage this afternoon cant remember right now.... i think around 180k

1998 Sunfire, 2.2L auto

Re: Timing belt/chain change?
Thursday, January 05, 2006 3:37 AM
Hopefully this will answer your questions...

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=96438&t=96438#96438

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, January 05, 2006 4:28 AM
You have an OHV. You have a chain but it doesnt need changing. And the chain on the ecos and LD9's shouldnt need changing.

Basically if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:21 PM
128k to be the milage right now. Really it doesn't need changed? i read on here that someones broke goin down the road and the pistons smacked the valves and whatnot basicly f*cked the engine.

1998 Sunfire, 2.2L auto
Friday, January 06, 2006 4:31 AM
That would make it defective. I mean you could change it. Its a pain in the ass, but its better to be safe than sorry right. I dont think your gonna have any problems with it.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Friday, January 06, 2006 3:20 PM
alright i guess i'll leave it alone so i dont mess anything up.

1998 Sunfire, 2.2L auto
Monday, January 09, 2006 3:31 PM
Change it. Mine stretched just enough to keep the engine from running. If it breaks or stretches enough it will cause more damage to the engine. Spend the 50 or so dollars now and replace it rather than spending a few hundred later.

http://cavalierman93.googlepages.com/
Monday, January 09, 2006 4:03 PM
I think it costs a lot more then $50 for a new one.

I have one true love in my life...And my girlfriend sits next to me in it
Monday, January 09, 2006 6:50 PM
He is right though. With that many miles it will be a gamble. Even still I dont think you going to have any problems. They're meant to last the life of the car. Belts on the other hand are not.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 3:54 PM
but i have a chain right not a belt

1998 Sunfire, 2.2L auto
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 3:48 AM
Ryan Shissler wrote:but i have a chain right not a belt

Yeah its a chain.

http://cavalierman93.googlepages.com/

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 4:10 PM
it likes buying insurance you take a chance. but how hard are you driving the car?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search