The real deal on computer resetting - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The real deal on computer resetting
Monday, January 02, 2006 8:08 PM
Hello everyone. Ive done a complete site search on this site for this subject and I found myself more confused than when I started. Im trying to find out first of all if disconnecting the neg. battery cable works at all on 3rd gen cars (mine being a 99 sunfire gt) If not how do u reset it to take advantage of any mods u do? If so whats the "official" word on how long to leave it unhooked? Ive heard everything from 2 mins to all night. Also whats the word on what to do with the car if u can successfully reset the comp and restart it? What I mean is some people say immediatly drive it and/or flog the pedal alot. Now some aftermarket companies say just let the car sit for 2 mins to rebuild the fuel map and then just drive it around. I know alot of u are probably sick of this subject and I am too. I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Re: The real deal on computer resetting
Monday, January 02, 2006 9:26 PM
What I do is I uplug the battery. Then turn on your headlights. Any electricty still in the system will drain out. Then reconnect and you're good to go.

Monday, January 02, 2006 10:04 PM
As for the computer 'relearning', you don't have to do anything special. Just drive around like you normally do and the computer should set itself up correctly.

Blown.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 7:53 AM
ok so u guys say the battery unplug works? Thats good I just dont understand how either it works just for some people and apparently not others as some other people say 3rd gens dont reset that way. Personally ive tried 2 times to reset this sunfire using the neg. cable unplug and I left it off for probably 2-5 mins then put it back on and started the car and let it sit and relearn. Well the radio did not reset at all it kept the time and all the presets I guess so I dont know if my problem is that im not leaving the cable off long enough or what. Thanks for the responses
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 9:52 AM
Well your presets and such should reset unless the reciever itself has a battery in it.

It shouldnt take long to reset usually less than a minute and the computer will 'relearn' if you just let it idle for a bit.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 10:16 AM
ok well I let the car sit overnight with the cable off and that seemed to work. Different stuff was flashing and the car didnt run right for a few mins. Im not excited personally about having to leave it off overnight eveytime I get a new part and surely it doesnt take all night for it to reset. So Im still trying to figure out how long do u actually leave it off for it to reset? Is it different for every car?
thanks again guys
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:02 PM
i've only had to leave it disconnected for like 15-30 mins for the new installs to work.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 12:36 AM
I believe the official GM statement was like 10 minutes... and you don't need to disconnect the battery either, just pull out the PCM fuse.

I've had no problems with the 30 second reset.... pull fuse... hit brake pedal (drains any juice left in the system)... reinstall fuse... turn car to on (but not start)... wait 10 seconds.... start car. Always worked mint for me.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 1:24 AM
yes lenko i much rather prefer that method too it beats changing my stations and clock everytime im glad i finally figured that out .lol

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 2:32 PM
I read somewhere that you have to disconnect the battery, touch the positive and negative cables together, wait 15 minutes, reconnect, and the ECU should be reset. I take it that's a load of crap. If that's the case, I bet there's a ton of us with mods that aren't doing anything because the ECU isn't remapping itself. Then again, wouldn't the ECU just try and compensate to make the engine run in stock parameters?? That would defeat the purpose of every mod we do.

Be kind to dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Thursday, January 05, 2006 12:59 AM
i heard you just take a wrench and touch the negative and positive sides of the battery together............lol

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.63@87.86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001

Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:43 AM
Ohh3SunFire wrote:i heard you just take a wrench and touch the negative and positive sides of the battery together............lol

Yeah, and make sure you have a can of race gas handy to put the fire out.

Be kind to dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Thursday, January 05, 2006 10:53 AM

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.63@87.86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search