96 Sunfire - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
96 Sunfire
Saturday, October 29, 2005 5:57 PM
I've done many mods to my sunfire to make it one of the hottest looking cars in town, but I'm missing the ass behind it. I've done the cold air intake, headers, catback, etc., but it isn't enough. I've found many Ecotecs on ebay, but I don't know much about them. What all year Ecotecs will fit my '96 ? Is it just same year motors that will work ? Regardless I know it'll be an expensive investment, but that doesn't matter. I know I'll need all new tranny, pullies, mounts, etc, but wasn't sure about the year range for a 96. Thanks for yalls time.

-h3x

Re: 96 Sunfire
Saturday, October 29, 2005 6:06 PM
Welcome to the .

Eco's from Cavi's, Sunfire's (and its rumored that Grand Am's as well) will work. As you stated though, new tranny & mounts, as well as BCM and PCM. Pulleys shouldn't be an issue as they're attached to the engine.

If you are looking for more power, why not the 3.8l from a GTP. There should be a write-up for it in the 3rd gen forum -- Clicky

The writeup above is for the 3400, but it is virtually identical to the 3.8l as far as install.

HTH

Saturday, October 29, 2005 6:07 PM
Thanks for the welcome

So a 2003 ecotec from a cavalier will work in my 96 Sunfire?
Saturday, October 29, 2005 6:12 PM
hexorcist pessimist wrote:Thanks for the welcome

So a 2003 ecotec from a cavalier will work in my 96 Sunfire?

Yes. Actually your best bet would be to find a local junk yard/salvage yard and to buy a donar car because you'll basically need everything out the engine bay (motor, mounts, transmission, fuel system, ignition system, computer).

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, October 29, 2005 6:15 PM
Sweet. That's what I needed to know, thank you. Next question: A ball-bearing turbo will bolt on to the Eco, right ?
Saturday, October 29, 2005 6:37 PM
hexorcist pessimist wrote:Sweet. That's what I needed to know, thank you. Next question: A ball-bearing turbo will bolt on to the Eco, right ?

There is more to turbos than it being "ball-bearing". You have to find the right trim, size, type etc. Also, it depends on the type of manifold you get. When it comes to turbo chargers, there is alot more to them and it takes alot of research. Even myself, I plan on having an turbo setup installed by December and actually this Tuesday, I am buying a turbo (more than likely a T3/T4 .57 trim).

If you have more questions about turbo systems, just ask me or check out the Spotabee Racing Forums, there are alot of guys on there who have alot of experience with turbo systems.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search