Newbie looking to buy! - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Newbie looking to buy!
Saturday, October 22, 2005 10:55 PM
Well, i'm new and this is my first post. I'm 15, a Sophmore in highschool, and looking at my first car. Down the street from my house is a little car dealership called R & R Auto Sales. They have a 96 4dr Cavalier that I've pretty much fallen in love with. I've spoken to the guy about the car on numerous occasions and I finally got to drive it around the lot a few times yesterday. The car is just about flawless except for the minor exterior wear on the front fascia, hood, and headlights (they seem to sag a bit). As I said, it's a 96 with 128K on the Speedo, 4 Dr, Auto, with a few aftermarket goodies that really got to me plus, the fact that it's only 2500 bucks. I asked about the car the first time and the guy said 3K so, I said it was much since the front bumper was sagging and ripped on the driver's side. He said he could go 2500 but, I still feel it's too much. Could I please get some feedback on the pricing of this car? Could I seriously get it for less? I've taken my dad to look at the car and he says it's nice but, never spoke to the guy about it. He really has no clue about these cars and I figured some more opinions would help alot. Pictures can be found at www.randrsales.net/cars_for_sale it's the little Silver 96 close to the bottom of the page. If you could please help it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
-Josh

Re: Newbie looking to buy!
Saturday, October 22, 2005 11:02 PM
Quote:

with a few aftermarket goodies

like what? it more likely dealer rice.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, October 22, 2005 11:16 PM
Your pretty much right. It's got a Cat-Back exhaust, cold air intake, and I believe it's got a chip. Interior/exterior wise it's got 16 inch alloy rims, carbon fiber wing, clear tails, clear dash knobs, Pioneer headunit, and I believe an alarm.
Saturday, October 22, 2005 11:29 PM
2500 is a good price.. what you want them to give it to you?
Saturday, October 22, 2005 11:32 PM
What, is that so much to ask?
Saturday, October 22, 2005 11:48 PM
ha, you can get 1500-2500 out o anything that runs basicly..
Saturday, October 22, 2005 11:56 PM
Yeah, I guess so. I just think that 2500 is still a little much. I'm going to try for 2200 on the car. Maybe the guy will negotiate with the price a little more....
Sunday, October 23, 2005 12:09 AM
What makes you think it has a "chip"?

Sunday, October 23, 2005 12:18 AM
i would not rush into things. IMO you can get a better deal then that. i got my 1996 z24 with 120k miles, already with exhaust, intake, painted interior, and power EVERYTHING for 2,000$.

the 2.2L engines in the 4 door cavaliers dont last as long as the 2.4L engines, and if your looking to make your ride fast or good looking.....well a 4 door car really isnt what you want to use. but i guess some people like them.

its really an opinionated subject. that 2.2L engine has a lot of miles on it, and is probably gonna need work soon.

good luck.

-Cameron (CaliforniaCavalier)

Girls make me mad and break my heart, but my car is always there for me.
Sunday, October 23, 2005 12:21 AM
lol impossible to chip a cavalier newer than 95....maybe it has potato chips on the back seat?

Sunday, October 23, 2005 12:26 AM
Like I said, I'm not completely sure. Maybe it's just the fact of the exhaust kit. It's a little stouter that I expected a 2.2 to be as for the 4Dr model it's for the fact of insurance. Down here, people drive around with NO insurance what-so-ever and it's through the d@mn roof. As for the 2.2/2.4 verdict, is it possible to do an engine swap or even refresh these engines without dumping a small truckload of cash into it? The engine was pretty sound from what I could hear, no rattles, knocks, pings, or anything like that. I saw some oil around the filler cap but, there wasn't much. Other than that, the engine bay was fairly clean.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 12:48 AM
CaliforniaCavalier wrote:the 2.2L engines in the 4 door cavaliers dont last as long as the 2.4L engines,
Any engine will last a long time if it's taken care of. The 2.2 and the 2.4 both have their weaknesses. Just because one has less power, doesn't mean it will fail any sooner than the other.
CaliforniaCavalier wrote:and if your looking to make your ride fast or good looking.....well a 4 door car really isnt what you want to use. but i guess some people like them.
You can make a 4-Door just as fast or faster than a 2-Door. There is less than a 100 pound difference between a 4-Door and 2-Door model. But looks, like you said, is an opinion.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 1:03 AM
To be honest, looks really isn't a factor for me. I would rather it look like a POS and be fast than be Pimped out and be lower than a snail's turd. It's prolly gonna get a nice freshening up in the performance department anyways.
Sunday, October 23, 2005 3:26 AM
I wouldn't go much above $2000. Edmund's has that car rated for about $1500. If you add in the aftermarket stuff, which isn't that much, $2000 is a good price and the dealer still makes some money for it. The dealer probably only paid around $500 - $800 for it. I did these on prices for your area in SC.

98 Z24

RIP Specks
Sunday, October 23, 2005 3:31 AM
Sorry for the quick double post folks, but I just noticed that the sales place is a collision/repair place. You might want to have someone check that car over really well. DO NOT go above $2000 if it has not been in an accident. If it has, you might just want to walk away from it if there was any frame damage to it. Check it out very carefully!!!

98 Z24

RIP Specks
Sunday, October 23, 2005 5:21 AM
you should look around more that car might look like ass with all that import stuff on it. and you can get a much better price i picked up my 96 sunfire gt 104k for 1100 with fresh tires on it,starter new windsheild and instrument cluster

1998 Cavalier
1995 Trans Am
1984 Camaro Z28
Sunday, October 23, 2005 8:05 AM
dont pay no more than $2000
tell the this dealership to take this chip off of there. its probaly something that just dumps more feul into the engine

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, October 23, 2005 8:30 AM
you can get the firebird right beside it for the same price that they have listed on the site....try and talk him down on the firebird.

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Sunday, October 23, 2005 3:48 PM
I have a feeling that the car has been completely repainted at one time, due to the fact that silver was never offered on US delivered J's till 2000, Canada I believe started getting them earlier though. So I would look real close at this car for any signs of over spray or bad masking, Because if it has been completely repainted more than likely is was wrecked pretty good or even totaled at one time. Good luck.....

Later,
Skinny J

Tara, I will love and miss you forever, you will never be forgotten
http://tara-nagel.memory-of.com/

Sunday, October 23, 2005 4:40 PM
One quick suggestion: Carfax, That might give you a little more background info on any new car purchases. Just need the vin number, go to carfax.com type it in and for like $19 or $20 bucks it could save you a lot of headache.

Hope this helps.
Peace Out!

Sunday, October 23, 2005 5:55 PM
^ don't always have the correct info on cars though. it's a hit and miss thing. my beater has been threw my family since 89 and has been in like 5 accidents. only one shows up on carfax.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!

Sunday, October 23, 2005 6:15 PM
Josh, I don't know why I didn't think of this a few minutes ago. A member of the JBO family might still have a Cavi for sale. It sounds better than what your looking at plus this will help both of your situations. It's a couple of years older than the 96 but has less miles. Nikki lives in PA though so that might be a couple hours drive, but you could save some cash and help a friend! Also welcome to the JBO (addiction)!

Just a suggestion and trying to help my fellow enthusiasts.
Peace Out!

Sellers info below:

Nikki Sweet (located in North East forum)
(fallenangel31181)

Email: fallenangel3110@lycos.com
AOL Instant Messenger: FallenAngel81311
MSN Messenger: FallenAngel31181@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fallen_angel_of_mercy311

For SALE!!

1992 Aqua Metallic Chevrolet Cavalier sedan
5 spd
121,000 miles
origional motor,tranny 2.2
Replaced head and valve cover gasket last year I think

Mom bought it brand new, and has all the service records and whatnot.

Needs inspected, new rear bumper (the metal part, it's rusted out), and I THINK 2 new tires.
There's some rust on the car, mostly near the bottom corner of the doors and the front part of the rocker panels... but it runs great.

We had someone that was going to buy it for $700, but for some reason now they can't buy it, and it needs to go asap.

Best reasonable offer takes it.

Monday, October 24, 2005 11:05 AM
i wouldnt pay that much for a 96 with that much milage...i got my 2001 2dr for 3,000 with 45k miles, and 17s.

01 2200.
Monday, October 24, 2005 11:08 AM
How the hell did you get it for 3k? My 99 Z w 190K miles still blue books at $3200 w a clear title.

Monday, October 24, 2005 1:13 PM
the fact that they say it has a chip on it would immedietely make me walk away from it. Like the other guy said that firebird would be a better deal.

It's better to save up some cash and get a used car that doesn't need any work.

I got my 89 Bonneville 60K on the odometer out the door, no work needed for $5K, 6 years ago.

I got my 2003 sunfire 1SB 5-sp for $10,300, thanks to rebates.

-Chris

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search