stock j-body tachometer - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
stock j-body tachometer
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:49 PM
Whatup, Ive got a 95 base cavalier, automatic.... no tachometer Ive seen a couple of aftermarket tachometers that hook up to the ignition system i think via the coil packs.

My question is how is a stock 95 cavalier tach ( say a z24 manual ) hooked up? is it through the ignition system, or some other method somehow tied to the engine.

Re: stock j-body tachometer
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 4:12 PM
why the hell do you need a tach on an automatic for?

GO PATS!!!
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 4:41 PM
Sparks wrote:why the hell do you need a tach on an automatic for?

Some autos come with Tachs....

JBOK.org & Insane-Customs.com
Thursday, October 20, 2005 12:57 PM
i know that, my z24 auto came with a tach...but whats the point of taking the time to install one on an auto car that didn't previously have it?

seems like a waste of energy/time/money IMO

GO PATS!!!
Thursday, October 20, 2005 1:03 PM
I agree with sparks on this one. The computer is gonna let it rev higher than it should be rev to.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 2:30 PM
all Z24's have them auto or manual get one out of there.

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Thursday, October 20, 2005 2:59 PM
Jbody2nr wrote:I agree with sparks on this one. The computer is not gonna let it rev higher than it should be rev to.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 3:28 PM
you can hook up a aftermarket tach by getting your signal from the fuse box under the hood on thedriver side fender on that cover it says tach just plug into there its there for the technicians but it works.hope this helps.
Thursday, October 20, 2005 5:06 PM
Brian Anderson (1999-Z24-4spd) wrote:all Z24's have them auto or manual get one out of there.

except for if you get on out of the auto z's it's gonna show the 4 speed gears on it when this persons base model is (most likely) only a 3 speed.

Also its gonna have to be a cluster from a 95-97. the 98-99 have the digital odometer on them. some 98s did come with the analog odometer though.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search