My Next Step... - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My Next Step...
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:42 PM
Well some knew and some didnt so its time to let the cat out of the bag. im going to michigan this weekend for the woodward dream cruise. just so happens a fellow jbo'er lives up there as well and has a few parts for sale.. however, i was only interested in one part. realizing i want a little more out of the car and that the turbo cams were just not going to do it i figured 102.000 miles, meant the motor was starting to get a little tired. so i said hey, ill buy your motor rather than me building one, it would be cheaper to buy your built motor instead. so this is why i have the turbo cams for sale for $400 obo lol. so it can go toward this project

so......

this car

Minus this...

This car...

plus this....

equals this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOwBr2GyvcE

and this....
http://www.airtonics.com/cavalier/videos/compcamidle.wmv

i bought airtonics(jon) motor built by Todd Miller Performance. all sorts of goodies done to it. as well as the infamous complete removal of balance shafts. the motor is simply amazing. Jon is a PHENOMENAL guy to deal with. i would have no problem ever doing business with this guy at all. i am picking it up monday and once its fully paid for it will be installed.

only things i really need to install it is a racetronix fuel pump and not sure if i need the harness or not.
digital tach since this motor can rev to 8200rpm.
a manual boost controller
and a trip to STL to have ryan hpt the crap out of it and then up the boost

jon wanted to see the motor go to a good home and it will. it will be pushed hard and will show what it can do. look for more pics this weekend and then during the install.

if i recall jon was running high 12's in the quarter with a sc, unsure of his psi, and also put down high 280's for hp on a 90 degree day and 90% humidity, im curious as to what it will do now

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:46 PM

Re: My Next Step...
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:49 PM
nice pic up vince, i was just there last night. that motor begs for a turbo.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:51 PM
I don't believe it's sleeved so keep her around the 350-400whp mark and you'll be just fine. Good find.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:12 PM
Nice score man!

Jon is wicked to deal with...I bought his trans from him.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:28 PM
awesome. i'm glad to see that motor go to a good home. good luck with the install and tune

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:28 PM
Damn bud, you sure didn't leave the cat in the bag for very long! See ya Friday

Member of J-body of Michigan.
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:04 PM
for someone who seemed so apathetic towards an engine 'build' in recent times this surprises the absolute crap out of me.

but...

very @!#$ nice pick up. i cant imagine a better home for such an amazing engine. 13.5 with a stock engine? hahaha... we'll see what this bad boy yields.

Every time I scream "Release", I mean it, you know it. I feel the day. Black 7.
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:19 PM
Nice buy there Vince!!!! Glad to see it go to a good home..And as for the pump harness if you are planing to run more than 350whp then I would do the pump harness at the same time when you do the fuel pump. You could do a inline pump but the harness is alot cheaper and its plug and play. It still kinda sucks though to see the black cav got back to stock. I enjoyed the pictures an vids of this car..
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:46 PM
Very nice pickup dude.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:08 PM
I can't believe hes selling that beast. Well, at least its going to be in good hands. I think your set up is really going to show the potential of that build.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:02 PM
Nice pickup vince! Finally be able to up the boost safely!

If I were you Id tap the girdle for your return before it goes in.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:09 PM
Thanks guys. i cant wait to get it in the car and running. im pretty excited.

as for not wanting to build the motor, i was not going to but mine is getting tired and even for a rebuild, it would have cost me more in parts and labor to rebuild than it was to purchase this one. heck of a deal and heck of a guy,

i plan to run about 10-12 psi and see what happens. should be smooth around there!

as for tapping the girdle, the way you say it could sound dirty however, it is already tapped by jon. so i cant tap something that has been tapped by jon, thats not how i roll. i will update this more once i squeeze it into the trunk of my car this weekend haha. if not its riding shotgun and my passenger seat is going in the back somewhere...

thanks again guys, appreciate the comments.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:14 PM
Lol diiiiiirrrrtttty.

So he drilled/tapped it for a turbo return already?

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:28 PM

Lucky bastard.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:10 PM
congrats vince!!!
good luck with everything!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:16 PM
i dislike jon

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:35 PM
yay! gotta drive er again next year!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:37 PM
nice buy good luck with the swap

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:42 PM
Yay Vinny!
I love you man.
I demand a ride in it once the motor is in.
It's time now for sure to ditch the stock clutch

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:44 PM
haha forsure ^^^^^^

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:18 AM
wow didn't realize how serious you bout getting this motor but grats non the less

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:30 AM
Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:09 AM
So, IIRC, this thing is running comp stage 3 cams and stock compression weisco pistons right?

How much do you think it's capable of on pump gas?

Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:11 AM
nice buy whats all done to that motor?

Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:07 AM
thanks guys. pretty excited.

from what i saw the motor has forged internals, unique completely removed balance shafts, oil passages to the valvetrain to cook them, patriot stage two head with extra cnc port and polish, bunc of stuff, will post when i get home.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search