New rims - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New rims
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:53 AM
well this is my first photo post here on the jbo and non-coincidentally my first exterior asthetic upgrade.

Well i bought new rims, cost me a decent bit for the rims and tires (1300 CDN with tax, instal, etc...) but i feel it was worth it. The pics are of crap quality (cell phone cam.) but i will get better ones when my girlfriend gets over here with her camera this week. Anyways there 17's (nothing crazy i know) and the one reason i love them is they have a good sized lip on the front and a bigger one on the rear so the offset looks good. Heres the picks (sorry no tire shine )

back rim with biggest lip

front rim with smaller lip

overall look ( i know a drop would help )

Re: New rims
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:27 AM
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:31 AM
nice rims, they just look real tiny

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:35 AM
that's a lot of extra rubber. need some out of the shade. is that front one stickin way out?

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:22 PM
Smaller rims = lighter weight = more speed

I like them, I would also recommend you lower the car when you get the chance Good job. Where abouts in Ontario are you anyways?
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:23 PM
Good choice. They look like they go well with your car.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:34 PM
Mark O wrote:Smaller rims = lighter weight = more speed

in theory but depending on the rim thats not always true. all rims weigh different.

the point i was getting at is that even though there 17s they look much smaller because of the lip. thats the only downside to those types of wheels. they look good though.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 2:38 PM
Quote:

the point i was getting at is that even though there 17s they look much smaller because of the lip. thats the only downside to those types of wheels. they look good though.

Yeah, I usually go with rims that have the spokes all the way out to the edge.

They don't look bad, just small & not my cup of tea.

But, to each his own...

Yes, it's my REAL car. No, it is NOT photoshopped or "this is how my car will look someday". It's the REAL DEAL.
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:11 PM
ya i know there nothing too crazy, but im only 18 and on a limited budget as i balance paying for my car and paying for university. i really like them though and i know my car has a long way to go still. regardless i think they look much better in person then in the pics (ill get more pics on wednesday or something) and ironically what you guys dont like about them (the lip) is what made me want to get them. i guess because ive always loved the look of big lips and i cant afford like 20's with a nice lip (plus everything you gotta do to make that size rim work on a cav).

other than that the tires have a larger sidewall than many may be used to because the place i went to actually knew what they were doing and didnt try to stick a 205 or 215 or something on there that would give even more wheel gap then cavs already have at stock ride height. i appreciate the criticisms but do keep in mind that 1300 was literally every dime from my account and from accumulated funds ive saved over the past year. with that in mind and the fact that my local store had these as the nicest bang for my buck i think i did pretty good.

on the lowering issue i couldnt agree more and i need to do this at some point, anybody know what im looking at (canadian prices) for mid end shocks, springs and install?
(just a ballpark) i would love to do this in the spring but i need to know what im looking at price point.

and for the other question, i live in hamilton, Ontario Canada (about an hour from Toronto)
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:36 PM
idk, im not feeling them. its not rwd so why have wider or wider looking rims on the rear is my thought.

if they were all the same size i would really like them.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 9:47 PM
I dig the idea you are going for, basically like a supra, and it's about curb appeal not simple fact of rwd vs. fwd. I do have to agree with Chris in that the fronts do appear to be sticking out more, backspacing! Greay start though! Keep it up

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:58 PM
I put in some eibach pro-kit springs, KYB AGX's, new strut mounts and it cost me about 700 canadian, with 65 for a wheel alignment,
I installed them myself because I could save alot of money there(went very well) took a while because I didnt' really know what I was doing(but It went together goodI hope, drives well so I think I am good,

but it does look good, just need some 18 and I will be set(need to wait for spring)

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:43 AM
z yaaaa wrote:idk, im not feeling them. its not rwd so why have wider or wider looking rims on the rear is my thought.

if they were all the same size i would really like them.

X2 and a lower profile tire would be nice.

http://www.myspace.com/fpsunfire
5 seconds to find another street...
Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:24 AM
lower profile tire = more wheel gap UNTIL im lowered but i do agree , not about the equal size lips though because i love that personally.

thanks for the comments and criticisms guys, or should i say constructive criticisms as it makes it sound less negative.
Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:33 AM
Should have lowered it first, not sure those rims fit your car right they look like they are sticking outside the wheel well.

Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Downpipe w/ Cutout | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:42 AM
ill have to post pics again but (and i do agree that they look like there sticking out) they actually aren't sticking out... think its just the pics or something... any who ill try to get pics up today in better quality and of more angles and what not.
Wednesday, September 19, 2007 11:48 AM
Nice rims. The black spokes with chrome lip is my fave. In terms of size i think its just fine. Definitely go for a drop once you can and think about throwing on the 03+ LS SPORT front/rear bumpers and sideskirts. I have a base model 2003 cav and wish I had the LS SPORT kit, compliments any drop and tire/rim upgrade so much; just makes the whole package look so much cleaner.
Wednesday, September 19, 2007 12:43 PM
i dont' like them. maybe looks better in person but right now dont' like them.

"All my life I have been trying to figure out who is behind this face of mine"

Thursday, September 20, 2007 3:45 PM
paul eccles wrote:

i appreciate the criticisms but do keep in mind that 1300 was literally every dime from my account and from accumulated funds ive saved over the past year. with that in mind and the fact that my local store had these as the nicest bang for my buck i think i did pretty good.

You have got to shop around, my friend. I have paid just a little over $1,000 for my last 2 set of 18's.

Just find the deals, that's all.

It's cool though that you are only 18 & just starting out.

I wish you the best of luck with your mods.

Yes, it's my REAL car. No, it is NOT photoshopped or "this is how my car will look someday". It's the REAL DEAL.
Thursday, September 20, 2007 5:27 PM
thanks man... and ya i do think i should have looked around a bit but i guess what am saying is that i really liked these and in my city (i'm not "allowed" to buy off the net) there werent any 18's that "floated my boat" yet still was withing the budget. i dunno... to be honest i guess im just giving excuses as to why i didnt go with rims that everyone else would have liked because i went with the ones i liked instead. which i know is obviously a good thing just when people started expressing distaste i felt compelled to come up with some sort of explanation.

but ya when ever i go out somewhere and am walking to/from my car it makes me feel good to be looking at these and, as stupid as it may or may not sound, it gives me some sort of "confidence" when i drive around and see people checking out my car/wheels... someone mentioned that the front wheels seem to stick out... i noticed that they kind of do the slightest bit but from what ive seen/heard on here, that is a problem with cavaliers. would a drop eliviate some of this or no... i have no clue but the rims are the right size for my car so i dont know its not that they arent the right width/offset/whatever.

thanks again to everyone even though criticisms can be tough... but keep em coming so i learn for the future
Friday, September 21, 2007 5:35 AM
I'm not a fan of the wheels, esp the offset front to rear. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Dan Trump

2004 Cavalier LS Sport - Victory Red

Saturday, September 22, 2007 7:45 AM
4doors5gears wrote:I'm not a fan of the wheels, esp the offset front to rear. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Agreed...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search