Shifter Pics, finally (Almost) done! - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Shifter Pics, finally (Almost) done!
Sunday, August 12, 2007 10:53 AM
Ive been fighting with what to do with my shifter for a while now.

I got a Fidanza short throw, and had a cheap knob on it for the time being. I HATED it.

I couldnt find a knob that I liked ANYWHERE for a decent price.

Finally I came up with this:

Funny, In another thread in this forum, RaGiN Z said "funny how stock is basically whats in nowa days"... Couldnt agree more.

2 more things I need to do, Paint the metal part of the shifter flat black, and get a leather boot, graphite in color (the black one I have doesnt match the interior, and Im keeping it as stock as possible, with minor touches).

I had that Shifter you can find at walmart on it before. Similar to this one:

Only it was flaking and very uncomfortable... The one pictured is much nicer and I love how that interior looks.

Im much happier with the new(old) setup I have now. And the throw is MUCH shorter.

C&C.

thanks for lookin'!

Re: Shifter Pics, finally (Almost) done!
Sunday, August 12, 2007 10:57 AM
Same thing i did with my B and M , put the stock knob on it.

Loved it, and looks clean .

Sunday, August 12, 2007 11:05 AM
Thanks!

Oh yea, mind the car is dirty (havent cleaned it yet, and Ive owned it for a month! thats NOT normal for me... those are still dealer paper mats!)

and Its a cell phone cam, and its SUCKS, sorry terrible image quality.
Sunday, August 12, 2007 12:04 PM
Matt Linke wrote:
Funny, In another thread in this forum, RaGiN Z said "funny how stock is basically whats in nowa days"... Couldnt agree more.

That's because stock is sexy!

The new shifter knob looks much better, good job!

--------------------------------------------

1990 Sunbird SE /// 1995 Beretta Base
Sunday, August 12, 2007 12:50 PM
@ Matt: *cough* traitor *cough*

Just playing... we'll definitely have to meet up some time. My cousin lives in the complex right to the north of you (York Meadow). I actually saw the 'fire and Cav sitting in the parking lot one day a few weeks ago when you were switching stuff around. Lookin' good .

Matt Linke wrote:Oh yea, mind the car is dirty (havent cleaned it yet, and Ive owned it for a month! thats NOT normal for me... those are still dealer paper mats!)

Same here! The Sedan is just plain disgusting right now .

snowblindburd wrote:That's because stock is sexy!

I couldn't agree more!

Monday, August 13, 2007 11:10 AM
Thanks for the kind comments all... I just got some toyo tails, So thats next... today after work in fact.

Carrie whenever you guys wanna meet up, Im game now that I have a car with some looks

And for the record, i TRIED to get a sunfire! haha, I wanted to get one, but I wanted a 5spd more, so a Cav was the end result. I didnt want to drive too far for a new car, I went to Algonquin for this one.

And WHEN did you get a 4door? I like it already, but it needs some wheels, yes indeed it does
Monday, August 13, 2007 11:15 AM
Looks nice man. Couldn't agree more, stock just looks the best, simple but slightly different sometimes.

Monday, August 13, 2007 11:25 AM
i've been running the stock knob on my B&M shifter for awhile now...... doesnt get as hot in the summer as that damn B&M knob.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, August 13, 2007 11:53 AM
Yeah...i'm going home tonight & putting the stock knob back on my B&M....since i just got the B&M logo fried into my hand during lunch today!

Monday, August 13, 2007 12:19 PM
hey how much and where do i get a short shifter??
is it worth it?! i think it would be my first mod other than a kn&n filter.
i also want springs from eibach or H&R.. which ones??

Monday, August 13, 2007 12:29 PM
I got my short shifter on ebay, it was $70+shipping... its the Fidanza one. I also had to get another stock knob because I couldnt NOT get my stocker off the stock shaft. Its WELL worth it, makes the car more fun to drive, granted all the motor mods I have made it faster and the suspension made it more fun, but the short shifter just makes it a blast... I cant wait to drive the car again the moment I get out...

Its a 2200 which isnt that fast, but I dont care, cuz of how fun it is to drive with the stuff Ive put in it.

Monday, August 13, 2007 12:56 PM
Fidanza or B&M?

Since you could NOT get the stock knob off, what did you end up doing?
Should i got with the PRO KIT or SPORTLINE eibach springs?

Moment you get out of where? if you don't mine me asking..

Monday, August 13, 2007 1:31 PM
Spalattero wrote:Fidanza or B&M?

Holy hell man, trying to thread jack much?

anyways i like what you did with the shifter looks pretty good.. i'm gonna go see if i can get the stock numbers and R engraved onto my knob because right now mines just plain (e-bay short shifter)

www.driftnamiperformance.com
Monday, August 13, 2007 1:44 PM
The stock knob just pulls right off from the 00+ cavalier's and sunfires.

Monday, August 13, 2007 2:26 PM
Heh, it pull off if youre capt. Insaneo! haha, I tried and my brother tried to get it off....

Wouldnt Budge. And sure, we probably gave up too soon, but it was getting dark, and an OEM knob was cheap enough.
Tuesday, August 14, 2007 4:37 PM
Steve-O wrote:
Spalattero wrote:Fidanza or B&M?

Holy hell man, trying to thread jack much?

anyways i like what you did with the shifter looks pretty good.. i'm gonna go see if i can get the stock numbers and R engraved onto my knob because right now mines just plain (e-bay short shifter)

WOW LOOK.
i can quote too!

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 4:44 PM
splattero, grow up.

I personaly don't think the price for the actual B&M short throw is bad considering the build quality and warranty. And to the people who changed knobs on their B&M, how does the shifting feel after? I heard that the weight of the B&M knob has a lot to do with how it feels.
And to the guy who said the 00+ knob just pulls right off, you are 100% wrong.

On Topic: that looks good!

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:not funny... i just can't find that funny... not with 2 copies of the Candyland board game on your shelf.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 5:32 PM
Yup im rocking the stocker too. I like the feel of it.

For those of you who cant get your knob off the stock shifter. put it upside down in a vice where it is grabbing onto the old shifter's shaft, While its upside down, take a metal chisel/flat punch, put it against the plastic reverse lockout and hit, it will pop off, be careful to put something down to catch it so it doesnt scratch it when it pops off.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 7:57 AM
I must be stronger than I thought, mine came right off with a little bit of pressure...

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:11 AM
Wait, what!? I had to cut mine off to install my B&M....

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 11:12 AM
I think it might be hit and miss with the shifter comming off easy, some cars it might not be as hard as others... maybe that has to do with wear or something... I just cut it off, didnt have the proper tools to get it off at the time.

thanks for the comments all. Im going to paint the shaft right now, Ill take some pics when it dries later on today.

I got a new phone with a new camera, it should take some decent pics, hell the res on it goes up to 1024x1048.... should take a nice pic i hope.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:40 PM
I was thinking the same thing becasue my knob was easy as hell to pull off.. just a bit of a twist and away it went

www.driftnamiperformance.com
Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:35 AM
JLAudioCavalier(1bad02cav) wrote:splattero, grow up.

And to the people who changed knobs on their B&M, how does the shifting feel after? I heard that the weight of the B&M knob has a lot to do with how it feels.

On Topic: that looks good!

I actually like the feel of the stock knob on the B&M.....the handle is smaller & fits my hand easier, & the leather makes for a better grip instead of the metal B&M knob....my hand used to slip off it every once in a while.

Plus the leather is mutch cooler to the touch when you get in the 100+ degree interior.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 8:59 PM
I just wrapped the 2 paws around mine and gave it a little twisting while pulling up, and it slid right off.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search