fiberglassing the glovebox - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
fiberglassing the glovebox
Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:04 PM
Welp, i've begun work on my interior.
In addition to sanding and primmering my interior pieces, I wanted to fiberglass the inside of the glovebox so I could make a box for my carputer.
Keep in mind this is basically my first time fiberglassing so i'm still getting the hang of it.
This is what I have so far...

I only have one problem... I don't know how to get it out. If it was a flat surface it would basically pull of, but this is kinda a box so it won't exactly do that.
And yes, before I glassed it, I covered it with tape and foil.
I might try to get it out tonight but I have to be a little careful because it's only one layer right now.

If anyone has any insight into getting it out it would be greatly appreciated.

-Seth

Re: fiberglassing the glovebox
Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:07 PM
just yank. sheel pull right out. lol. jk. i say if you break it you break it. its obviosley fixable. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 11:57 PM
i get the feeling thats going to be a bitch to sand...

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 5:34 AM
he doesnt need to sand it.. its just a box for a carputer...

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 6:30 AM
Vince says to do this hes beginning to be a pain in the ass lol go premium there no posts

use a flat head and shove it between the plastic and fiberglass then once ther eis an opening, use your hand and get air inside there and it will come off

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 10:55 AM
maybe put one more layer on it before you pull it out. That way you won't have to worry about breaking it.
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 11:18 AM
^^ what he said..do a couple layers to make sure its tuf..if you do it when its out of the car itll warp some....phil
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 12:43 PM
get it out cut it in 2 sand it then put it in the box in 2 pieces use some epoxy to attach it to the glove box.

horsepower is how hard you hit the wall, Torque is how far you push the wall with you
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 4:28 PM
I got it out.
It took me an hour with a painters stick and a hammer.

It was basically what BuMmRz said Vince said to do. After I got it all unstuck from the tape and everything, I had one more coner to go and when i went to loosen it, I heard a pop and it pulled out.
I'm glad I didn't decide to put more layers first because it was just flexible enough to where i could still get the painters stick and my hand in between the glass and the plastic.
As far as sanding it, I won't be sanding it a whole bunch. Most likely i'll put a couple more layers on for it to keep its shape and then the inside i'll put a couple layers or resin so that will level out and create a smooth, level surface.

I'll get some pics of it hopefully tonight.

-Seth

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 6:41 PM
make sure you add some cloth or mat to it or it will have no strength. and next time use wax or pam on the aluminum foil before u start so it doesnt stick so much.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:45 PM
Welp, I got some more layers on it.
I put just one more layer but quite a but of resin so it would smooth itself out. I'm not going for a lot of strength but rather thickness to mount the motherboard and stuff on. Also, the box shape keeps it from warping and such too much. I just need to do the sides and then it'll be sanding time.

-Seth

Friday, September 29, 2006 5:30 PM
not bad so far...where r u mounting the power supply? id make sure to vent the glovebox with a fan of some sort....dont want the new computer to eat it

Friday, September 29, 2006 5:36 PM
run an ac vent into it to
that would be sweet

Friday, September 29, 2006 9:19 PM
themarin8r wrote:run an ac vent into it to
that would be sweet

till you turn the heat on hahahahah

Friday, September 29, 2006 9:52 PM
Joey Baggs (Eazy716) wrote:not bad so far...where r u mounting the power supply? id make sure to vent the glovebox with a fan of some sort....dont want the new computer to eat it
I'll be mounting the motherboard on the top of the inside of the box and then probably be mounting the power supply to the side and the hard drive and such in the middle on the bottom.
Also, I'll probably run a fan on the side and on the bottom.

themarin8r wrote:run an ac vent into it to
that would be sweet
I could, but I can't. The ac can lead to condensation and condensation plus electronics is not good, especially for computers.

-Seth

Friday, September 29, 2006 10:30 PM
if your ac leads to condensation, somethin aint right

Saturday, September 30, 2006 12:00 AM
Well i'm pretty sure its the going from hot to cold. I forget the exact physics on it but like if its really hot out and i have my ac on full blast, I sometimes get condensation on the vents.

-Seth

Saturday, September 30, 2006 5:18 PM
Why not glass mounts for PC fans on the front. They run on a 12v current as well, same as a car. Plus you could use the LED or Cathode lit ones to add a little something interesting.

My Car Domain
Saturday, September 30, 2006 9:49 PM
Ya, I could but then you'll prolly hear them more. I might do that but i'm not too sure.

I was working more on it today by resining the side, and when i went inside to let it dry, the wind knocked it over and so now I have a corner with a bunch of resin that needs to be sanded out. Either that or i'll just cut the corner off and glass the corner again. I'll get some pics if i can find the camera.

-Seth

Sunday, October 01, 2006 9:14 PM
I have some more pics.

Here you can see where the resin settled in the corner and created a PITA.

This is after about an hour with a dremel. Not perfect but it works.

Done basically.

In, trimmerd, kinda sanded, and filler primered a little.

I only ended up with a little bit of a warp but I think had I of put another layer on and let it dry before i took it out of the glovebox, I wouldn't have gotten it out.

Now I just have to purchase the computer stuff and I'll get it finished up.

-Seth

Monday, October 02, 2006 8:15 AM
If you're worried about heat you could look into using a Peltier device. Peltier devices are the same thing that is used in coolers/heaters that you can buy for use in cars. You can get them super cheap on ebay and if you set it up right you can use it to heat and cool the computer as needed. Here's a link to one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/113-Watt-Peltier-Cooler-Thermoelectric-Cooling-Module_W0QQitemZ250033125878QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4660QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem. It's only like 10 bucks.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search