LED Tails Part 3 (or is it 4) - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LED Tails Part 3 (or is it 4)
Thursday, July 27, 2006 10:27 PM
A couple folks got a sneak peek of the next project to come out of my spare room.

LED Tails Revisited

Well, after a major technical difficulty on my part, I had to do a redesign on the tails. The original design called for too many LED's on the turn board, and as such, the lens would not clear.

Fortunately, WhiteRaven was kind enough to send me some preassembled LED boards (the kind that they use on semis) that fit perfectly.

However, a little surgery was in order.

First off, this is what I started with:

After a bit of surgery to remove the lens...

And some cleaning up...

I was left with a 2.25" diameter, preassembled LED board, complete with the proper color LED's

After researching a bit, I found a 3" light assembly (again, similar to the trucker style ones). These started off as 4" round lights... far to big to be used in the stock housing.

Again with the surgery...

And a 3" round PCB board. Prewired.

These are just sitting in the housing... and they are much brighter than the pic is. I had to adjust my cam down so it wouldn't be washed out.

Also, as part of the redesign, I am retaining some of the stock lens so there is a place to mount the clear one to (and keeping some of the reflector -- don't need an extra excuse for cops to pull me over). That means yard picking again for 2 more tail lights.

The stripped down tail that I have currently are only going to be used for mocking up, all the final assembly will be done on the modified stockers.

Re: LED Tails Part 3 (or is it 4)
Thursday, July 27, 2006 10:37 PM
i like alot..ill send you a set of lights if you could make me some.....please..phil
Friday, July 28, 2006 12:08 AM
kinda takes away form the "custom" part though

Friday, July 28, 2006 12:31 AM
A bit, yes. but after dumping I don't know how much at the last version, for cost efficiency....

Friday, July 28, 2006 12:47 AM
true

Friday, July 28, 2006 2:21 AM
SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now do a set of cavi tails for me!! HAhaha, hey bro you still bringing the LEDs to Spokane tommorrow, im bringing the money!!

Friday, July 28, 2006 6:47 AM
Scorpio1 (blu03lambocavi) wrote:SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now do a set of cavi tails for me!!

x2 I may even have a full set of tails laying around still that can only be used for LED conversion (partially melted backsides from the bulbs/sockets comin' loose) They're smoked hella dark too, so they'd be callin' for some, ... say, 12K+ MCD LED's I had to change them after gettin' a verbal warning from 5-0 about 'em - till I can convert them to LED hahah

What a great place JBO is!! <<<

Friday, July 28, 2006 9:21 AM
Now send me back the red bullets you aren't using so I can use them on my car.

Lok look sweet Rob, keep up the good work!

My Car Domain
Friday, July 28, 2006 2:23 PM
you already know what i have to say man

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Friday, July 28, 2006 2:58 PM
awesome work bro. I so can't wait to see the finished product!

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Friday, July 28, 2006 5:04 PM
looking good, thisis a good way to retrofit LEDs into tails, still a few issues with blink etc but a good way none the less. The biggest issue i see is how do they light up in direct sunlight, and then putting a normal reflector over them is going to blur the pattern alot i would assume.

Email me at jvanis@gmail.com if interested in 03+ cavy projectors

http://www.aplusperformance.com

Friday, July 28, 2006 9:47 PM
very nice work, im liking this idea alot.

Saturday, July 29, 2006 6:30 AM
Looks like somebody had a light bright set back in the day

It looks VERY sweet!! Kinda looks like it would be a million times better in person

dan

Sunday, August 06, 2006 10:24 PM
Whoops, looks like I have a few questions to answer:

Once I get the Fire setup hammered out, I'll work on a set of Cavi tails (or 4) - Jeffie comes first though, he's been waiting the longest.

WhiteRaven, I'll send you a PM tomorrow about the red ones...

Jarett, I'll try to have these done soon, so if you happen to come up this way again

03_CF_Blues, a valid concern. I haven't made much headway on getting any further, but I can at least get some pics that address that concern. As for the blink, that's an easy fix, either a load resistor or an electronic component flasher will solve that (I'm going with the latter since I'll have all LED's for markers/turns)

dubduce, yes acutally, I had 3 of them.

Sunday, August 06, 2006 11:54 PM
cool Rob, I'll let you know. keep us updated, and let me know if I can assist in any way.
good work man.

Desert Tuners

Monday, August 07, 2006 5:33 PM
Quote:

03_CF_Blues, a valid concern. I haven't made much headway on getting any further, but I can at least get some pics that address that concern. As for the blink, that's an easy fix, either a load resistor or an electronic component flasher will solve that (I'm going with the latter since I'll have all LED's for markers/turns)

Here's the board w/ direct 5pm sunlight (my cat bumped up against it in the second one, so the angle changed a slight bit) and I have the brake wire hooked up:

Monday, August 07, 2006 8:24 PM
definitely should be bright enough. looks awesome.

Desert Tuners

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 2:50 PM
damn. gonna need sunglasses at night to be able to drive behind you! LOL
looks great rob. you get the new lenses?

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Tuesday, August 08, 2006 3:03 PM
how did you seperate the tails..i've tried baking mine for almost a good 20mins at 200F..with out any luck, the lens actually started to melt(there spares so it's ok).
Tuesday, August 08, 2006 3:22 PM
did you BAKE...or BROIL?

lol

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 3:42 PM
[quote=Ozzie®]did you BAKE...or BROIL?

lol
I set it on Bake...why??.. should it be on Broil ..sorry never prepared at tail light in the oven before..haha

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 4:06 PM
i used a hammer and/or a dremel. LOL.
the hammer works better. hell, you're gonna have a new clear lens anyway. who cares about the crapy red one. LOL.
i tried baking once. that glue or what ever it is that holds the lens on is some piece of work. ive heard it is possible, but i stopped after one try.
good luck chris! post some pix when done!

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Tuesday, August 08, 2006 6:55 PM
Ozzie, neither.... this is a combo dremel/hacksaw from the original design . Just using it for mocking up. I still have the modern art piece on my computer desk.

Yeah, that glue, or whatever it they used, is a PITA.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search