---another blown eco.. few new pics..--- - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
---another blown eco.. few new pics..---
Tuesday, July 04, 2006 6:17 PM
well i figured id post. she went sunday afternoon. wasnt even really beating on it. anyhoo. same as ryne and brandoson. almost positive the ringland let go. plug #3 was smashed just like rynes.

this didnt really surpise me. i had the boost up pretty high the last week or so since the reflash. (btw, the plugs were RICH black.) no pics of that motor yet.

on to bigger and better things.

used engine when i got it.

engine as of earlier today

engine as of now

blown engine is coming out on satruday. gonna try to have the new one in and running in a few days. (work schedule stops me from spending too much time on it) i have to call hahn tomarrow and find out turn around time about getting my 16g converted to a 20g. also final pricing on the portfueler. so the parts for my reflash are gonna be up forsale shortly.

btw, anyone know if i can just plug a junkyard 03 ecu in without throwing some kind of security or theft code?

as always, questions and all comments are welcome

Re: ---another blown eco.. few new pics..---
Tuesday, July 04, 2006 6:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your car... Thats makes how many Blown Ecos now? Anyway, were you using the GM reflash with the turbo setup?

2004 Turbo cavalier 11PSI and blown!
Tuesday, July 04, 2006 6:28 PM
yes. but i was running about 18psi with no tune or wideband.. lol so it didnt really shock me that much.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 6:43 PM
Welcome to the club

Although it seems as though your block is still ok?

Seriously though what is with all the eco's blowing at once? Appears that they have a 1yr lifespan no matter how much boost you run lol.

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 6:54 PM
thats the spare engine in the picture.. but yes, nothing went through the block. wont know the damage till satruday when its pulled and the head comes off.

honestly... im not too sure.. hypsy ran the longest. i just cranked the boost up too much.. i knew what would happen.
not sure why yours blew though... and blew to that extent.... btw what ever happened to dj??

im also in the market for a greddy profec b boost controller. im not gonna chance a manual with this high of boost and after all the money spent on this engine

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 7:01 PM
DJ fried his starter at the track one night ( probably more electrical stuff to go with it to), and has had the car parked for awhile. he also bought a Cobalt SS so the push to get the cavalier working again isn't huge. I do know he bought a couple of 2.0 ecol blocks, so who knows what hes doing in his spare time? hehehe

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 7:39 PM
Quote:

Seriously though what is with all the eco's blowing at once? Appears that they have a 1yr lifespan no matter how much boost you run lol.

It's a sign to move into big boy HP numbers with a rebuild, and possibly to get HPTuners.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 9:34 PM
as said above welcome to the blown up 4 banger club, after mine blew i was kinda happy cause i knew the engine i was gonna redo was gonna be forged and all that. good luck with it john, turn her up to 25 psi when the new engine is done and get HPT mang lol

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 11:43 PM
haha yeah. great club.. but not a biggy. like i said, it didnt suprise me. hell it was making over 100% more power then it came with.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 12:26 AM
whoops... get that built engine in there already and let's see what that thing can really do!

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 1:06 AM
Wow, yikes John, who would of thought it would blow so soon after you were reeming on it, HEHEHE!

Anyways, I seen whats in the new engine, and Im confident with the new setup your tlaking about, you'll be boosting happily.... now how much for the Setup you had, and throw in that junk engine for free would ya?? LOL

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 5:14 AM
ouch sry to hear bout the motor man but good to see a new motor is coming in soon with built bottom end and all of that

better bottom end = more and more boost

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 7:00 AM
Yea, I'm scared of boost, just because of that.........

.........randomly turning up the boost just for shizz and giggles and blowing something.

Once you get your changes done you can take her up to about 350+whp if the info I got from a GM insider is correct. (He does the time attack with the Cobalt SS supercharged and has done way too much R&D for the Eco in the last 4yrs). Then again, I forgot everything you bought for the engine.

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 7:04 AM
Too much boost will make any engine go BOOM ! Not just an ECOTEC. Sorry to hear it man this time keep the boost down a bit.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 7:16 AM
so what caused it to blow exactly, i know you were untuned so im guessing you leaned out way too much under boost?

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 8:25 AM
OUCH MAN! good luck with the new motor

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 8:43 AM
Quote:

so what caused it to blow exactly, i know you were untuned so im guessing you leaned out way too much under boost?

no, not at all. pulled the plugs and it was really rich.. im assuming the same thing as hypsy. due to the fact we both had plug #3 smashed. blew a ringland out and the top of the piston came up and hit the plug.

i think it was just too much for the stock engine and it finally gave.

Quote:

Wow, yikes John, who would of thought it would blow so soon after you were reeming on it, HEHEHE!

Anyways, I seen whats in the new engine, and Im confident with the new setup your tlaking about, you'll be boosting happily.... now how much for the Setup you had, and throw in that junk engine for free would ya?? LOL

ehh. it was fun. not sure. i sent u a message(s) on myspace but cant get someone to get alod of me. *cough*
haha im keepin that blown engine for a spare. as long as nothings damaged im just gonna throw the rods and pistons from the used engine in. keeep it for a few months. ill get rid of it once the new one is broken in and what not.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 8:47 AM
Quote:

Quote:

yes. but i was running about 18psi with no tune or wideband.. lol so it didnt really shock me that much.

yea...

the fuel pump doesn't like boost much higher than 15psi.. you start to lose pressure. Did you have a fuel psi gauge?

There's a thread over on the HPT forums where the guys analyze the GM reflash code and they were surprised that it even worked. If I can dig it up, I'll link you guys to it..

Frankly, I think the GM reflash isn't worth a damn, ditto for the RSM reflash.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 8:52 AM
ringlands don't break off from power most times. It was more likely a detonation situation... But i can't say that with 100% authority. Rich's popped a ringland at 5 psi in partial throttle... sounds to me more like something wrong with the tune outside of the power enrichment table that has either too much timing or not enough fuel with small amounts of boost at lower rpm.

But anyway, its an excuse for stronger internals and more boost. And get yourself a damn wideband, you putz...

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:47 AM
the stock pistons hate boost mixed with detonation , dam GM and econo box pistons

i think if we compaired brandons total of blown eco's to the org , we might have a tie , LOL

ida bead blasted that motor , dam it looks nasty from road salt , lol

should be alot of fun when running again

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 1:06 PM
Quote:

yea...

the fuel pump doesn't like boost much higher than 15psi.. you start to lose pressure. Did you have a fuel psi gauge?

iv got the hahn stage 2. so iv got a secondary fuel pump. fuel pressure was at about 80psi or so on the 370s.

iv got a uego wideband, its just not installed yet.. its going in along with the new engine.

well it seems all of the blown ecos were ringlands except for air tonics.

Quote:

Frankly, I think the GM reflash isn't worth a damn, ditto for the RSM reflash.

gm wouldnt half ass somethign like that... they would be hit with a bunch of people coming back with blown ecotecs. gm unlike rsm, cant just close their doors and wash their hands with it.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 1:31 PM
18 psi on 370 cc's seems like a no-no to me, but what do I know...

15.574 @ 89 mph stock without charger. new times with charger coming soon.
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 1:49 PM
yeah Im dissapointed that you didnt have a WB. thats a ballzy move. Id imagine that if we knew your afr nums this wouldnt be a guessing game.

Im a level 32 joedm newb flamer.
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 5:58 PM
Quote:

18 psi on 370 cc's seems like a no-no to me, but what do I know...

so im guessing u didnt read the entire post...

Quote:

iv got the hahn stage 2. so iv got a secondary fuel pump. fuel pressure was at about 80psi or so on the 370s.

thats enough fuel for 18psi.

Quote:

yeah Im dissapointed that you didnt have a WB. thats a ballzy move. Id imagine that if we knew your afr nums this wouldnt be a guessing game.

again, i have one, its going in with the new engine... i turned the boost up and had fun. didnt really bother me that it blew.

and for the last time. IT WAS NOT LEAN. it was too rich if anything. the plugs were flithy rich. an d i had more black fuel stains on the rear bumper above the muffler in the past few weeks of the reflash, then i did with almost a year on the hahn kit wiht the 320ccs and stock computer.

its not a guessing game. i blew a ringland like almost every other blown eco. the only one thats blown so far due to a lean factor was brandosons nitrous solinoid stuck open. which isnt his falt.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search