Fiberglassed Door Panel Progress Pics - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fiberglassed Door Panel Progress Pics
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 7:23 AM
Well, this is my first attempt at fiberglassing, so let me know what you think so far.

I mounted rings for my 6.5" speaker and tweeter in each door, covered them in cloth and applied a layer of resin.

The only problem that I have so far is that I part of the cloth above the speaker hits the lower part of my dash

I'm not sure if i should

1. Cut the piece of cloth out of the doorpanel that is hitting and put in a new piece of cloth and shape it so that it won't hit or
2. Remove the lower part of the dash, and reshape the piece so that it will fit with the door the way it is.

Any comments/ctitiques/suggestions are appreciated. Hopefully I'll figure out what I'm gonna do and get some time this weekend to start applying mat. Then I can post up some more pics.

Wide Body Progress

Re: Fiberglassed Door Panel Progress Pics
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 7:26 AM
Measure twice, cut once

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 7:31 AM
ImPhat0260/Cavattack2000 wrote:Measure twice, cut once

ha, could've told me that a few days ago. I basically got too excited to begin applyin the resin, and forgot to testfit the panels on the doors with the cloth.Well, live and learn.

Wide Body Progress

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 8:39 AM
Im lovin' the strawberry blunt wraps in the glove box . . .
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 8:43 AM
i was gonna say but then you posted it. my doors hit and my speakers were way smaller. i just cut a little nitch out and it actully looks really good

mabye you could try that

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 9:13 AM
I would rework the door panel rather than the dash if I was you. Looks good though,
Good Luck

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 9:54 AM
cut the door panel where it touches, and re-shape that...that will save you more time than re-shaping the dash board.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 10:00 AM
Big poppa...beat me to it....looks good though.

...P.S. was the pizza yummy!

Silver Stripey makes your Day!
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 10:39 AM
nice blunts

and nice work too

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 12:28 PM
ill post pictures of mine once image shck is back up but i have 6.75" goin in my doors. i made sure that i had clearence for the dash on both sides. plus i also had to contend with window cranks. that wasnt a fun task but i got it now ill post pictures in a bit

M62 KIT for sale PM ME
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 5:28 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I had a feelin everyone would suggest cutting the panels and fixing them... but I just love how they look that I didn't want to. But it will be a lot easier that way.

And total, I have the cranks too, but decided that I would go power windows once I got the panels done. I'll hopefully have more pics this weekend.

Wide Body Progress

Thursday, April 13, 2006 1:07 PM
Little update. Well, I was daring. I liked how the door panels looked and didn't want to touch them, so I chopped out part of the lower dash and am going to reshape that later. For now, I'm working on laying a few layers of mat down.

And another question. Once I resined the panel, it warped when it dried. So i took some brakets and attached them to the inside of the door and the door panel.

So my question is, can I fiberglass right over these brackets so they are one with the door panel? It will not be moving much once it is on the door. I just want to double check with someone to make sure it won't crack or anything. Thanks.

Wide Body Progress

Thursday, April 13, 2006 2:45 PM
fiberglass shrinks when it dries, the cheaper the fiberglass the more it will shrink, this is why i say to use a good brand of fiberglass, and why i suggest doing some things in the car to dry. you can do it, but if your making a show car i'd say grab some new panels and start over, its just not going to look great with those all visable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, April 13, 2006 2:51 PM
dude that sucks. unless you can somehow peel all of that glass off (good luck). that is going to look like ass whenever your door is open.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 2:52 PM
looking good keep us posted

LOVED BY FEW, HATED BY MANY, RESPECTED BY ALL....

Thursday, April 13, 2006 5:00 PM
sndsgood wrote:fiberglass shrinks when it dries, the cheaper the fiberglass the more it will shrink, this is why i say to use a good brand of fiberglass, and why i suggest doing some things in the car to dry. you can do it, but if your making a show car i'd say grab some new panels and start over, its just not going to look great with those all visable.

i have to agree with sndsgood you need to start over on the doors

Z24 Cardomain Site ll ZQ8 Car Domain Site
Thursday, April 13, 2006 5:21 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I'd like it to be a showcar someday... but it probably won't be for a few years. Anyways, this is my first fiberglass project, so I'm gonna just finish them up. I'm sure I'll run into more dillemas before I'm done, and I can definatly use the experience. They really aren't that noticable in the car, and I'm gonna paint them black so hopefully they will blend in. I'll hopefully have some more progress in a few days.

Wide Body Progress

Thursday, April 13, 2006 6:02 PM
looking good man, keep it up!!

RIP Saint ........ JBO
Sunday, May 14, 2006 6:22 PM
Well, been very busy, but here are some updates.

Panel with a few layers of glass

Door panel sanded after being glassed

Speaker & tweeter hole cutout

Testfit

Body filler applied

Some sanding of the filler

Half of the other panel after filler and sanding

Just finished with classes friday and am moving to my new apartment Thursday, so hopefully I can get a lot more done on these this week before I move. Thanks for checking out my progress. Hopefully have some finished or near-finished pics soon.

Wide Body Progress

Sunday, May 14, 2006 6:33 PM
looks like its gonna weigh more than the car! lol

15.1@90.34mph
Sunday, May 14, 2006 9:46 PM
-dougall- wrote:looks like its gonna weigh more than the car! lol

hehe, yea they are kinda heavy, but I don't really care.

PS. I have written up a tutorial full of detailed pictures/descriptions of this project. For anyone who would like to view it, it is in the interior forum, located here. HOW TO - Fiberglass Your Door Panels (Lots of pics)

Wide Body Progress

Sunday, May 14, 2006 10:01 PM
Yea..........I wish I could do that!

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Monday, May 15, 2006 4:40 PM
nice.

Alot of work went into those that's for sure.

keep those pics coming

Monday, May 15, 2006 5:09 PM
Well, did some more sanding today and quickly primed one of the panels. I still have sanding and a little more filling/glazing to do, but I'm moving Thursday to a new apartment, so I wanted to get them primed so I could keep them in the car while I move. Plus it helps to see where more work is needed.

Wide Body Progress

Monday, May 15, 2006 6:13 PM
Coming along nicely man

Keep it up

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search