Aerodynamic Mirrors and grill - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Aerodynamic Mirrors and grill
Friday, March 24, 2006 2:12 PM
I painted my grill cover finally, it was polished aluminum except it didnt stay polished very well. I still need to color sand it and buff it a little. Im also going to make the fog light holes into brake cooling ducts.

The latest on my quest for better gas mileage and miniscule performance gains through aerodynamics came in the form of motorcycle mirrors. Here is a picture of the old and the new. I dont have any pictures from the side because it isnt done yet. I need to make some cover plates and shim the mirrors up a little. The visibility is actually pretty good with these mirrors and they are way more aerodynamic. Once I get the plates built to cover the triangle piece there will be less wind noise from mirrors and thats an added plus.

Old

New

Any constructive criticism or opinions? I know you guys are good at that!

02 LS Sport http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135396
68 Firebird http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135556
56 GMC http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135587
66 Suburban http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135589

Re: Aerodynamic Mirrors and grill
Friday, March 24, 2006 2:16 PM
I like the mirrors alot!

Friday, March 24, 2006 2:23 PM
is this serious?

Friday, March 24, 2006 2:27 PM
wtf do you want a aerodynamic cavalier for? however much you do, your not going over 108mph.......plus thats not going to make it that much more aerodynamic. how can you tell the mirrors are more aerodynamic? do you have a wind tunnel? thats just plain retarted, stop wasting your money.....and time seeems like u have alot of that.

Friday, March 24, 2006 3:19 PM

Unless youre building a race car, that stuff isnt going to do anything.

Friday, March 24, 2006 3:29 PM
grill yes mirrors no

Z24 Cardomain Site ll ZQ8 Car Domain Site
Friday, March 24, 2006 3:42 PM
Grill looks like it'd block cooling and the mirrors look like they belong on a bicycle.

Friday, March 24, 2006 4:20 PM
if its the "aerodynamic" look you are going for, then your doing a nice job.
if you are intending to make your cavalier a race car....just be ready to be blown away by anything

Friday, March 24, 2006 5:19 PM
wow this just proves how retarted JBO is,
he said he was doing it for MPG not racing *whacks head*

I like it alot man keep up the solid work!
Friday, March 24, 2006 5:27 PM
i dont see either mod improving MPG to a measurable ammount if at all....the mirrors look goofy IMO. car parts should be to proportion with the car..those are too small, and just weird looking. The grill looks bad, and looks like your gunna take away a lot of cooling....those holes in the You a fukin rally racer? SCCA or something?? seriously bro, its a cavalier, the cars parts are built for each other, if your going 108 and slam on your brakes, you probly STILL wont need extra cooling, and slamming on the brakes at 108 is as extreme as a cavalier is built to get......so seriously, your efforts and time are proving usless as far as i can see. im usualy realy nice, but recently realized that im done giving a sht over the internet and will tell it how it is...take it or leave it. your waisint your time.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

i had lots of toys when i was young.slinky,etc.but once i found my penis,that was all she wrote
Friday, March 24, 2006 7:19 PM
those mirrors suck

Friday, March 24, 2006 7:35 PM
yuk, to each his own

Friday, March 24, 2006 8:00 PM
I actually like how it looks, but eys you are affecting cooling in a bad way

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, March 24, 2006 8:18 PM
Actually no QBE.

Car runs just fine with it blocked off, and his DCO is a bit better. Then again, remember my post about undercarraige flow? Everyone complained that its stupid and moronic, yet its for show, then yet again i have gotten much better Gas mileage.

And i too have a few exterior mods im working on For looks, but if my car getts less wind resistence and overall less drag, thats a plus.

And if you dont like that boys and girls, STFU.

Friday, March 24, 2006 8:53 PM
Dennis wrote:
Any constructive criticism or opinions? I know you guys are good at that!

Love the car. Probably be alot of jealous mf's here who will dish you for being original though.

I think blocking the grill cleans up the frontend. Tossing the fogs and adding brake ducting adds to the clean, functional effect.

I'm not sure about the mirrors, I would like to see some pictures from other angles, but I appreciate what you are trying to do.

Friday, March 24, 2006 8:56 PM
Charlie Kraft wrote:those mirrors suck

Your mufflers suck!

<p>
Friday, March 24, 2006 8:57 PM
^^ dude your sig is way too big.

back to the topic at hand... the grill is very sweet i like it a lot. the mirrors completely kill it though. stock looks way better and are the only ones that really flow with the car. and i dont think you will see any difference in mpg with the mirrors. oh well, good luck.

Check out my build thread!

Friday, March 24, 2006 9:01 PM
El Fuego ( the grounded one ) wrote:Actually no QBE.

Car runs just fine with it blocked off, and his DCO is a bit better. Then again, remember my post about undercarraige flow? Everyone complained that its stupid and moronic, yet its for show, then yet again i have gotten much better Gas mileage.

And i too have a few exterior mods im working on For looks, but if my car getts less wind resistence and overall less drag, thats a plus.

And if you dont like that boys and girls, STFU.

I'm glad we have two aerospace engineers on hand, they're definitely more qualitied than everyone else, so dont even try to say this isnt going to work. Geez.

Friday, March 24, 2006 9:06 PM
ok if you want better mpg, maybe you should buy that block of wood they where sellin on ebay to put under your gas pedal? seriously, changing your mirrors isnt going to get you better mpg due to better aero. lighten the car...CF hood/trunk, take out sound deadening, strip it, if you want better mpg, thats gonna be your best bet, lighten it as much as you can, change to all synthetic fluids, lighten all parts that can be lightened engine wise ( easier to rotate/push) get lighter wheels get a better intake (no not some high performance one) just one thats breaths easier...doesnt mean go around drivin with hte foot down on the pedal...the easier it is for the car to go, the better your mpg will be, putting on some panzy mirrors isnt going to help your mpg, adding brake ducts isnt going to help you brake better...it will have zero effectiveness, there is no need to cool your brakes down, are you racing stop light to stop light? or just driving like a human? because if your goin so fast an braking so much, well no point in worrying about mpg...an if your driving like a human, no need to cool your brakes....

Friday, March 24, 2006 9:09 PM
Dave Dunsmoor wrote:

It looks good, and it is original.

Cripes, look at all the kids here who take a 2.2L OHV auto, drop it, put on some monstorous body kit and too big wheels, and then you guys all clap like seals.

This guy has done something more euro. Some nice simple mods to clean up the car. Looks a heck of alot better than 95% of the cars one here, even with the stock wheels.

Friday, March 24, 2006 9:17 PM
Ray Pal wrote:
Dave Dunsmoor wrote:

It looks good, and it is original.

Cripes, look at all the kids here who take a 2.2L OHV auto, drop it, put on some monstorous body kit and too big wheels, and then you guys all clap like seals.

This guy has done something more euro. Some nice simple mods to clean up the car. Looks a heck of alot better than 95% of the cars one here, even with the stock wheels.

I agree. Its amazing that there are so many followers in this hobby, and very few leaders. Anyone who does something other then the norm is a leader here, or a rebel, just trying to make his cookie cutter car different from all the rest.

Friday, March 24, 2006 9:20 PM
we give constructive critisism and you come in to play super hero... no one is tearing him apart, but we are all being logical here.... he does NOT need to cool his stock brakes on a cavalier... waist of time to do so...blocking off the front grill isnt going to do ANYTHING for mpg, aerodynamics, def not looks... i mean seriously, were not drafting bumper to bumper at 200MPH here... i dont think aerodynamics and smoothing out the front and all that BS is needed...sorry COMMON SENSE. and those mirrors are the worst mod of them all...they will do NOTHING for what he wants them to do, and they just do not look right on that car. sorry for being so blunt here but if anyone wants sugar coated bs then go ask your mom what she thinks of your car... posting here, we are going to try and be helpfull and give our opinions and in a case like this.. LOGICAL REASONS WHY THOSE MODS ARE NOT USEFULL TO WHAT HE THINKS THEYRE GOING TO DO.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

i had lots of toys when i was young.slinky,etc.but once i found my penis,that was all she wrote
Friday, March 24, 2006 9:28 PM
ok, how much did you spend on the mirrors and grills..Lets say 100 bucks. Now you gain lets say 3 mpg do you know how many fill ups you need to do to break even?

Lets say over 12 gallons on a fill up you gain 36 miles on a fill up....now thats about a free gallon.....with gas at 2 bucks a gallon thats 50 fill ups you need to do to break even....thats like a year and a half of fill ups for me.

Now all that is based off an extra 3 mpg...realistically you will probably get less.

Friday, March 24, 2006 9:28 PM
1Bad02Cav wrote:
im usualy realy nice, but recently realized that im done giving a sht over the internet and will tell it how it is...take it or leave it. your waisint your time.

Friday, March 24, 2006 9:37 PM
RayPal you just joined today, well yesterday technically, and youve only posted in this post, do you have an obsession???

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search