New Ecotec Pacesetter Header - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Ecotec Pacesetter Header
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 10:20 AM
So a little birdy dropped this off at my doorstep today... Jackalope (Terry) and I are going to be putting it in this afternoon... I'll post more pics of the install tonight.

Re: New Ecotec Pacesetter Header
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 10:22 AM
Cool now get to work!

Click for pics of my Toyota 2.4Z
http://www.bristol-cruise.com/gallery/carphotos/carphotos.asp?id=49
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 10:32 AM
Wow, same thing was on my front door as well today

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 11:18 AM
If putting that in is anything like taking out Adam's header I wish you the best of luck.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 11:21 AM
Phlatcav wrote:Wow, same thing was on my front door as well today

I feel left out! Quick someone send me the 2.4l one!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 11:23 AM
Yummy, mines been here for awhile , just havent put it on .

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 11:42 AM
Ill put mine on WHEN I get my eco

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 1:13 PM
Let me know how it go's. Buy the way how much did it...mmm...did the birdie say how much it was....looking into getting one myself!
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:50 PM
i ordered my eco header too. i cant wait.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:56 PM
my eco, tranny, harness, ecu, and all hoses cost me 650

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 10:13 PM
looks just like mine

your gonna like it

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 10:57 PM
I am starting to see a trend

all j owners not equipped with ecotec are switchin to one... lol

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 11:37 PM
^^^^

Thursday, February 02, 2006 6:18 AM
Well unfortunatly I didn't get home till around 4 and the headers down pipe needs to welded into the cat itself and can't be just clamped on this install has been temporarily
put on hold. Hopefully and if Tim can wait we'll be doing this next Saturday not this comeing one but the next one.

Tim keep in touch if you get someone else to help you. You are in my book for next Sat so I don't make any other plans. The whole days yours if you need. remember tho to get over my place as early as you can so we can take the car up to get the cat welded.
I asked Josh but someones borrowing his mig welder so thats out, sorry.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:11 AM
Well, as Terry said, we were unable to get together yesterday... But, I did get a few of my friends together and we put the thing on last night... We did figure out a way to clamp it securely until I can get it welded although it does leak a tad... Anyways, I'll post pics of the install tonight when I get home from school... Thanks for the offer, though, Terry... Let me know when any of you are getting together so I can meet up with some of you guys. I didn't notice a huge difference from the header... not *quite* like I expected... but I suppose I probably just had my expectations too high. It does certainly pull a bit more on the top end and it now chirps third so it definately did something.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:33 AM
Glad to hear you got it on. Impatient little bugger ain't ya ? lol jk ! So how did you get a clamp on it ? That was our biggest problem. As for it "not being what you expected"
remember you still have the factory cat so thats a bottle neck for the exhaust. And an exhaust system can only flow as well as its smallest area will allow. Try a high flow cat and I bet you notice a difference. When I did mine I did the header and cat and all 2 1/2 inch piping and noticed a difference. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:31 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty impatient... but it's all good...

Yeah, I'm assuming the cat is my main bottleneck at this point... I held it up to the light while we had it off the car and I could JUST BARELY see daylight through it...

You know how the very tip of the downpipe on the Pacesetter's is smaller than the rest of the downpipe? Well, we were able to clamp it because instead of cutting the pipe in front of the cat AT the weld, we cut it about 3" ahead of the weld and slipped the end of the header downpipe inside the stock pipe and clamped it.

The only small problem we had was that we broke one of the 3 bolts at the flange at the rear of the cat connecting the cat and the catback exhaust. We had to bolt it back up with only 2 bolts because my welder buddy had to leave and we broke it after he left. It's leaking terribly already.

I think when I take my car up to Marvin's, I'm going to see if he'll just weld the header to the cat and remove the flange connecting the cat to my cat-back completely and just weld a piece of 2 1/4" pipe in there to make a clean connection between my header and cat and the cat and cat-back exhaust.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:48 AM
Hmm, sounds like a plan. OR get a high flow cat and have him install it instead.
Call me if you need any help Tim as you know I'm more then happy to help. Scheduling just work this time around, sorry. I'm just glad you didn't get pissy and understood that. We'll plan on hooking up on a weekend or something.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 1:17 PM
Yeah, I'm not the "get pissy because your schedule didn't allow time for me" type... I appreciated the fact that you tried to make time for me. Anyhow, I just can't drop another $70 on a cat right this second... I think once I get rid of all the leaks, it'll sound and feel really nice... seems that (i know some of you will say it detects it instantly, but whatever) the computer is actually slowly adapting to it... It seems to be more powerful every time I get behind the wheel... like last night, it was slightly chirping third and not really pulling THAT much harder... This afternoon on the way home from school, it peeled 2nd gear hard and solidly chirped 3rd... (sorry if my measurement of performance is pathetic) It sounds a lot meaner too... I just gotta get those leaks welded up.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 1:25 PM
Cool man don't want no issues! Know what I mean ? Anyway glad to hear it did actualy make an improvment over stock.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 3:17 PM
Hey, Terry... since when did you get a sig?? anyways, I called Tony's... he quoted me about $40 for each weld... one on the header side to eliminate the clamp, one on the exhaust side to fix the broken flange. I called Marvin's but he told me he couldn't give me any kind of quote over the phone...

Thursday, February 02, 2006 3:43 PM
have any of you guys had any issues at exhaust shops with welding in an aftermarket cat? I know they are pretty anal about going anywhere near the stock cat. Does the pipe attaching to the header weld in just before the cat meaning you still need a downpipe and high flow cat?

Also how does that piece of pipe that came with the header attach to it...does it just slip over that ball joint or what? I thought there were flanges on each end with some kind of bolts and springs to allow for flex.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 3:49 PM
i want one of those suckers

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, February 02, 2006 4:14 PM
i ordered mine yesterday. how long did it take for you to get yours...
and damn it does look good

Thursday, February 02, 2006 5:34 PM
Ninja nope no issues at all but maybe it helps my being friends with a shop owner.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search