My wideband mounting solution.. - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My wideband mounting solution..
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 12:31 PM
I purchased an LM-1 wideband kit from Karo a little while ago but I've been preoccupied with getting my s/c setup finished and haven't had the time to do anything with it yet. For the past few days I've been trying to figure out how I'd be able to mount it inside the car so I would be able to look at it while driving. After going through many designs, I used a speaker wall mounting swivel bracket and attached it to the dash first using industrial strength velcro and two machine screws. The side that attaches to the LM-1 uses industrial strength velcro. It was the best spot that I could think of without it being in the way of the CD deck, HVAC, shifter, and people's arms and legs. Enjoy the pics!

What does everyone think? Any comments and questions are welcome.

Blown.

Re: My wideband mounting solution..
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 12:36 PM
Dont they make wideband gauges where you can controll everything from the guage? Looks like you did good at positioning it but I dont like the look of the actual unit

-Nate (ZeeTwankyFo)

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 12:39 PM
^^ I agree, I dont like the look of it either.. But it does its job hehe.

Can you make that detachable to sway away potential theives?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 12:40 PM
Yes, they make gauges but I don't have the money for another gauge, so I did the best I could. If I ever get some spare cash together I may put in a gauge. Thanks for the comments!

Blown.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 12:41 PM
Yeah, I dunno, don't really like it. I'd rather have it laying somewhere than put holes in my $289? dashpad to hold the bulky thing.

White velcro kinda stands out too.

If you like it though!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 12:41 PM
I'm using industrial strength velcro, its hard as hell to get off but it pulls off with some work.

Blown.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 12:55 PM
You should have gotten a round gauge...

That thing is just too big, its like you have a Tech 2 mounted on your dash...

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 4:31 PM
Jay wrote:You should have gotten a round gauge...

that pretty much sums it up.. watever gets the job done thou.. hows the car running anyways? your officialy the ONLY supercharged j-body in the state now.. i just sold my setup

-marc

..smacked the whine right outa the bltch..
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 4:42 PM
illd9 wrote:
Jay wrote:You should have gotten a round gauge...

that pretty much sums it up.. watever gets the job done thou.. hows the car running anyways? your officialy the ONLY supercharged j-body in the state now.. i just sold my setup

Well this was my only option really. I don't have a job, i'm in college, and I have $100 in my bank account that I'm hoping will last me my spring semester. I'd like an easy spot to see my A/F ratio and figured that was the best spot. If no one likes it, thats cool, it gets things done.

The only S/C'd J in the state, damn that's quite a title. Hit me up on AIM sometime, you disappeared for a few months after we last talked, haha. The car's running mint, I'm just waiting to get a belt and it should be all set.

Blown.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:19 PM
its fuctional , and that is all that matters

i can say from having to hold the 1 ive got its a royal pain

having something to hold it is a great idea

Friday, January 06, 2006 10:16 AM
It's not THAT ugly, guys. It is more of a functional looking device anyway (especially for the bucks to go the gauge route).

However, I would agree with WHITECAVY about deterring thieves... Making it detachable somehow wouldn't be a bad idea...

You may also try to find some black velcro. I'm pretty sure I saw some more industrial-like black velcro someplace recently. Paint the screw heads black, too.

My 2-cents for today.

L8r...

*** Need some 1995 Cavalier parts ???
*** FOR SALE: doors, windows, interior, engine parts, fenders, etc. -- email me!

Friday, January 06, 2006 10:50 AM
I don't think it looks too terrible. With something that big and that ugly, you really don't have a lot of choices.

Friday, January 06, 2006 11:59 AM
speed > looks
and i think filip knows that

Friday, January 06, 2006 12:03 PM
I juts have the gauge with mine...

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, January 06, 2006 12:04 PM
only thing i dont like is drilling holes in the dash, other than that.. cool

Friday, January 06, 2006 1:19 PM
I really don't have much of an eye for what looks great with a car, haha. I know basics like the huge aluminum wing = no, spinning hubcaps = no, etc. Some of you might remember me when I posted my SS Cavalier (Monte Carlo look-alike), haha.

Its detachable with industrial strength velcro, but I couldn't find any black velcro. I might just go back to Lowe's and try to find some. Also, good idea for black screws; if I can't find any, I'll dye the ones I have now.

Blown.
Friday, January 06, 2006 1:35 PM
personally, i would do what i did with my MP3 player:

the mount is an Arkon SR088-s. I got it from eBay. link here. you would have to figure out some way to mount the square bracket to the back of the unit (for my MP3 player, i bolted it to the back of the leather case), but i think it would look better.

Friday, January 06, 2006 2:24 PM
They have cup holder mounts too. it fits into your cup holder and puts it at a great distance.

Thanks,

Big-L (Luc)
'04 Sunfire SL
http://www.totalsportcompact.com
Ottawa's premier car and lifestyle event!

Friday, January 06, 2006 2:57 PM
Brown eye wrote:personally, i would do what i did with my MP3 player:

the mount is an Arkon SR088-s. I got it from eBay. link here. you would have to figure out some way to mount the square bracket to the back of the unit (for my MP3 player, i bolted it to the back of the leather case), but i think it would look better.

yah that would be better

Friday, January 06, 2006 3:00 PM
I thought about both of those but I didn't want to drill into the unit and void any warranty. Granted, I could have used velcro with it, too, but due to the size of the unit putting it somewhere in that location would have interfered with either the HVAC, shifter, or passenger. One major downside to this wideband is that it isn't the most attractive unit and its quite large (4 inch wide, 8 inches tall). One of my original ideas was to use a GPS mount and somehow modify it to mount somewhere other than on top of the dash (the size of the unit actually disrupted my view of the road).

I thought this was going to be a 30 minute project but it took me 3 days to finally settle on the idea I used.

Blown.
Friday, January 06, 2006 3:48 PM
Joe Schulte (JoeDM) wrote:Yeah, I dunno, don't really like it. I'd rather have it laying somewhere than put holes in my $289? dashpad to hold the bulky thing.

White velcro kinda stands out too.

If you like it though!

289 bucks? lol. i got mine for 10 bucks out of a junk yard perfect condition.

Looks great man! I got mine on my windshield with the innovate bracket, was expensive for 75 bucks though. I dig it and nice car!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/StylezTA

Friday, January 06, 2006 4:05 PM
97blkZ24 - thanks man, I appreciate the feedback. I debated purchasing the Innovate mount but I just couldn't justify spending that much money on a simple mount. What I have now is functional and it was almost free so I'm content.

Blown.
Friday, January 06, 2006 5:20 PM
i think it looks really bad, personally

www.DomesticTuners.com 'The Place To Tune Your Domestic'
Friday, January 06, 2006 5:39 PM
I think you should fabricate a nice cradle for it in your center console so you can read it and fiddle with it with the flip up of the armrest.

Friday, January 06, 2006 7:25 PM
Quote:

i think it looks really bad, personally

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search