Does anyone else hate there stock floormats? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Does anyone else hate there stock floormats?
Thursday, May 11, 2006 12:36 PM
It is my hope this lame post finds some other people on the ORG. with the same complaint.
Ive got a 2004 Cavalier, and the stock floor mats suck..big time!

The drivers side front has always shifted around, moved, etc.
Its about ready for the junk after only 12,000 miles!

Anyone else have this problem? If so, whats the solution to this.

What aftermarket is best? If any. Comments welcome and appreciated.

Silver Stripey makes your Day!

Re: Does anyone else hate there stock floormats?
Thursday, May 11, 2006 12:52 PM
I hate the driver side simply because the floormat will shift forward far enough it'll catch the back side of my clutch pedal. I've got aluminum pedals and the screws that I used to mount them to the original metal plates get hung up on the mat and actually keep the pedal from releasing. I need to trim the screws or get shorter ones but I've been too damn lazy so I just took out the floormat instead.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:51 PM
How odd, My Cavi is an 04 also its got almost 38,000 on the odom and the stock floor mats still look like new in my car. I can't say I have any issues with them moveing around either.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 2:08 PM
40 k miles and mine got one good hole @ my heel pivot for break/clutch, they suck cause they if there to far back they'll hang on my clutch, to far forward they'll hang on my clutch. want something else, but havent found anything i like.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 2:09 PM
Jackolope...I have to ask this.

Q: Are you living/residing in Hell, MI.?

Q#2: Are you have with your Injen intake or not?

Thanks for the input.

Friday, May 12, 2006 9:37 AM
my car has around 49,000 miles and i have had no problem with the floor mats at all
Friday, May 12, 2006 10:08 AM
i have ~65K and my floor mats are still pretty mint. no problems stayin in one spot. i dont think the dealer put new ones in but they may have. bought it at ~52K in July.

my carDomain
Friday, May 12, 2006 10:50 AM
Mine look fine. They still look pretty new and I'm pretty sure they're the original ones. I just can't keep them in place.

Friday, May 12, 2006 11:51 AM
SiLvEr StRiPeY 04 wrote:Jackolope...I have to ask this.

Q: Are you living/residing in Hell, MI.?

Q#2: Are you have with your Injen intake or not?

Thanks for the input.

You have a PM.

but #1 no I don't even know where that is.

and#2 its ok. nothing thrilling but ok. I wouldn't recomend it if you have ABS as it will not fit regardless of what INJEN says. I have it I know better and it has not been re-designed as it was early thought to have been.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, May 12, 2006 12:24 PM
God.. the floormats. I have an 03 Cavy coupe that I bought brand new. Within 4 days of driving, the carpet started pulling up where my heel would rest for the clutch. I went back to the dealer to get them replaced (4 days old, I'm pretty sure it was still under warrenty) and they looked at it, tried to tell me it was "normal wear and tear". I told them that the car was 4 days old and that it shouldn't wear that quickly even if I scrunbbed it with steel wool. So they took the mat out and tried to find a part number. After about 20 minutes of waiting, they told me that there was no part number on them anywhere on the floormats and because of that, they weren't standard on my car and those must have been added afterwards, and therefore, are under no warrenty at all. The "best" they could do was order a set of floormats for $75, and cover half of it, leaving me to pay another $37.50 (before tax). I told them they were crazy to expect me to BUY floormats when these are obviously defective and should be taken care of.

So, I left, went home, pulled up the "options" list for the 2003 model cavaliers from the Chevrolet website and printed it out. I then circled "Cavalier LS Coupe/Sedan" and highlighted the row that said "carpeted floormats", and circled the point where said line and row met, which just happened to have an "S" there. I then drew a large arrow pointing up to the legend and circled and highlighted (vigerously) "S = Standard". I took that back to the dealer with me, and on my way to the parts/service department, ran into the guy who sold me the car. He asked what was up and I tyold him the story. He went with me to the service department, went in with the sheet and tore them apart. He told thyem to order another set of floormats immediately and that I was not to pay for anything, and that if they didn't take care of my problem, that he would talk to the owner about how they handled things in the service department. So they "ordered" the mats and told me it'd be about 3-4 days. So 4 days went by and I went to check on them and they didnt have them. They checked the order list and found they'd never been ordered. SO, they ordered them THEN. I went back a few days later (they called me and told me the mats were in) to pick tem up and they handed me an obviously universal floormat.. I say obviously universal because it didn't even fit right in my car. Oh and it was just the drivers side.. not a whole set like they said.. which was fine because I only needed the one, but still. I think they just went to Wal-Mart and bought some cheap-ass mat. I ended up just taking it out of my car when I got home. It fit fine in my mom's 99 4-door Cav, so I let her have it.

So yeah.. that's MY floormat experience.

My Car Domain Page

Friday, May 12, 2006 12:25 PM
*vigorously

Damn having no edit button =(

My Car Domain Page

Friday, May 12, 2006 1:17 PM
I have an 05, about 15K miles, and my mats still look brand new, no holes, no issues with the clutch, etc.
Friday, May 12, 2006 1:22 PM
Just drill some holes into the ground through the floor matt, and install some detachable pins to hold the matt down, works like a dream.
Friday, May 12, 2006 1:35 PM
Good heavens, man...I hope things are better now.

I think I'll be paying a trip to the service dept very soon on mine and see what
happens.

Friday, May 12, 2006 4:11 PM
I hate my aftermarket floor mats. Ive had two sets now, and both suck. Wish the car came with some stock style mats. Does anyone make a set with Sunfire written on it that fit the car?

Friday, May 12, 2006 5:33 PM
^ I've seen a few show cars that had embroidery on the mats but I have no idea where they got them. You might try Google. Google always knows.

Friday, May 12, 2006 6:50 PM
Maybe, Jason at Aplus, or Karo, etc...will pop on here and teel us the answer to these things and more!^^^^^

Saturday, May 13, 2006 12:46 AM
i got mine at walmart cuz my car dint come with em, anytway, they were like $20 at walmart and have they bowtie embroidered in them and i have no problems at all

Saturday, May 13, 2006 9:04 AM
my cavi has never seen stock floormats in it. came straight from the factory without any. ahh the wonders of buying a bottom of the line base model.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Saturday, May 13, 2006 4:59 PM
Quote:

Just drill some holes into the ground through the floor matt, and install some detachable pins to hold the matt down, works like a dream.

heres a suggestion that worked great for me.
go to the scrap yard and find any 2000 or newer Hyundai, i chose a 2001 sonata. they have the "tabs" that stick up and hold the floor mats in place. there are 2 slits in the carpet to clip them to. there amazingly strong, i tried just pulling on them to get them out, ended up ripping the carpet and then i figured out how to unclip them.

i put them in my 05 the mats don't move at all. best of all they where free.
just make sure there exctally where you want them before you cut your carpet.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Saturday, May 13, 2006 6:59 PM
I think it just has to do with how you place your foot and how much weight you put to the floor that makes the mat move around. Mine moves but i'm going to get the heavy duty velcro (the one with the plastic fingers) and just velcro it to the floor. it'll never move again after that

Saturday, May 13, 2006 7:15 PM
My drivers side mat likes to move around... and i vaccumed a bunch of those little spikes that broke off the underside yesterday.

Monday, May 15, 2006 5:50 AM
My floor mats kept sliding under the clutch, so I bought some aftermarket ones with deep spikes on the bottom. Still, same problem. I might just end up ditching the one on the driver's side.

Don't know who's this is, but that MOMO plate looks to be screwed down nicely.

Monday, May 15, 2006 5:51 AM
oops! - MOMO mat

Monday, May 15, 2006 7:41 AM
Maybe....I'm going to drill some holes then.

I see all these matts everywhere and such...none look any good to me!

Any input on those metal diamond plate ones.....anyone.....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search