z cluster in base cav - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
z cluster in base cav
Wednesday, May 10, 2006 8:44 PM
i've been looking and haven't found anything on this.

i'm wanting to put z24 cluster in base model cavalier and have everything working, including the tach. how would i be able to get the tach working in mine when i don't have a tach already. one more thing, does the 2.2 have the same redline and such as the 2.3 and 2.4?

Re: z cluster in base cav
Thursday, May 11, 2006 3:27 AM
its just plug and play, provided you get a z24 cluster from your year or close to it. swap your milage tumblers into the new cluster, plug it in, reprogram the theftlock/passlock, and then drive away with a working tach. i have a z24 cluster in my base model 97. it took all of 5 minutes to install it.

one more thing, search better next time. i've answered this question multiple times and so have other members. this question is asked every other day.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 12:56 PM
thanks for the help, and sorry about the extra post.
Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:03 PM
So the base actually has a tach input its just not being used, same wiring and all as a Z so if you have a 99 base you can plug and play a 99 Z w/tach? And dont tell me this has been answered directly cause Ive seen it answered for other years but not 99 with digital odo lol. I thought I saw a sticky on this awhile back like the Interior FAQ. Also, i hear its hardcore taking the dash outta these? Any help is appreciated on that too. Thanks.

I root for the underdog...figured I might as well be one

Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:16 PM
You don't have to take the entire dash. Just the front trim and the dash pad. Having a Haynes or Chilton will come in handy to find all the screws. As far as the swap, I'm not sure about the 99s but my 97 was originally a base Cavalier that the previous owner put RS trim on and didn't do the cluster swap so there wasn't a tach. I put in a new Z24/RS cluster and it was a direct swap.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:19 PM
Thanks man yeah im takin the dash out anyway to put a new head unit in so i figure ill do this too.

I root for the underdog...figured I might as well be one

Thursday, May 11, 2006 5:27 PM
Gearhead2200 wrote:So the base actually has a tach input its just not being used, same wiring and all as a Z so if you have a 99 base you can plug and play a 99 Z w/tach? And dont tell me this has been answered directly cause Ive seen it answered for other years but not 99 with digital odo lol. I thought I saw a sticky on this awhile back like the Interior FAQ. Also, i hear its hardcore taking the dash outta these? Any help is appreciated on that too. Thanks.

99 base with digital odo w/out tach to 99 Z with digital odo w/tach = direct swap

Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:36 PM
yep, its just plug and play. i went from a 98 base, to a 98 z24 cluster

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search