Flickering odometer numbers - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Flickering odometer numbers
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 1:29 PM
Hello all,

To start off with I own a 2001 Cavilier Z24. I have been having a problem with the numbers on the odometer flickering on and off for some time now. The problem is getting worse every day. I have read here somewhere before that you can swap clusters to fix this problem. However, if I recall correctly, if you swap a cluster from another car, the milage from the other car will display briefly. Can anyone confirm if this is correct before I attempt to do this?

Re: Flickering odometer numbers
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 1:40 PM
mine flickerd and finally died swapped a new cluster in, the computer filled it up with my cars info and thats about it.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 1:47 PM
Did you swap it with a brand new one or a used one from a wrecker?
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 1:51 PM
Also, what is involved in the process of swaping out the instrument clusters?
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 2:25 PM
Quote:

Did you swap it with a brand new one or a used one from a wrecker?

mine was a refurbished one (used but factory rebuilt)

Quote:

Also, what is involved in the process of swaping out the instrument clusters?

take apart the dash un plugg the old one and plug in the new one. turn on the car it will make some noise in the cluster while being blank, then after a few seconds it will show up as normal.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 3:14 PM
ok, one last question. Where do you get a refurbished instrument cluster?
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 4:34 PM
gm parts guy asked for one he asked refab or new.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 6:24 PM
Ok, thanks.

I have been doing much research on this problem and found this post in the FAQ:
http://www.j-body.org/faq//115/

Can someone explain what this means:

"Any cluster from either Cavalier or Sunfire may be used, as long as it is the 00-05 kind. Mileage is stored in the body control module, so that is not an issue. (Although until you start the car, the cluster will display the mileage of the car it was removed from, if you push the trip meter button)"

Is this supposed to mean that with the key in the on position the odometer will be displaying mileage from the last car the cluster was taken out of? (Until you actually start the car)
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 7:39 PM
Mine was doing this and I just replaced it (Thanks T2!! I still owe you money!) Just put in the new one, you won't have any problems.....

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 8:07 PM
have this issue as well. So as long as it is 2k plus I will be fine? Cause I have a 99? or won't a 2k cluster work with a 99? or would I be able to do this with a 99? Listening in!

Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:38 AM
Not sure about that. However I have been told by the service managers from 2 different GM dealers that if you take an instrument cluster from a different Cavalier and replace it in your Cavalier, you will get the mileage from the previous vehicle because the mileage is stored in the odometer. In my case I would not want to do that because I intend on selling the car and would have to disclose that the mileage is not accurate. I'm not sure what to do about solving this problem.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:56 AM
i have my old one sitting next to my desk, the new one all i did was plugg it in, the milage is stored in the computer. if anything the old milage might flash up when you first install/start your car but, then it will get the new information from the computer

Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:05 AM
So the old mileage will display for a moment after first starting the car than revert to the correct mileage? Do you think that would be a problem with me trying to sell my car?
Thursday, May 11, 2006 11:34 AM
it will only do this the very first time u put it in, and never again.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 12:30 PM
I see. Ok, thanks for the help and info
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search