I need help - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I need help
Friday, March 10, 2006 12:43 PM
I have been trying to wire in my new stewart warner gauges into the a-pillar today. I have been trying to get the bulbs to light up using power from the dimmer switch. I cannot get anything from the dimmer. All the searhcing I have done is not helping with this. Seems others have used the dimmer, but why won't my lights light up? Yes I am turning on the headlights too and the dimmer is at full intensity. I found the HVAC wires will light up the bulbs, but its a long way from the pillar.

On a side note, can someone tell me where to locate a switched 12V wire for electric senders? I have been looking at wiring diagrams all day and still don't know a good one.

Thanks for the input.

"If you aren't shifting, then you certainly aren't driving!"

Re: I need help
Friday, March 10, 2006 1:16 PM
your wiper fuse is on a 12v switched source, or make you own with a relay.

as for the dimmer switch, are you grounding the other side?

Friday, March 10, 2006 2:05 PM
I just found the brown wire people were talking about attached to the turn signal for the lighting power source. So I plan to use that instead of the dimmer.
For the switched 12V source using wipers where exactly are you talking about. In the steering column or somewhere else?

Friday, March 10, 2006 2:14 PM
Where are you located? Maybe someone can drop by to help.

I'm pretty sure it was a grey wire from the cluster that I used to power the lights. Are you using a voltmeter to check the wires you're using?

Friday, March 10, 2006 2:54 PM
I'm in Fort Wayne Indiana. I'm not using a voltmeter. I'm just going by the wiring diagram for the car. I actually don't want to turn over the ignition because my car hasn't been started since the turbo went on. My worry pertains to the fuel pump turning on with all the new hardware. I'm still waiting for one more part from Hahn. So in the meantime, that is why I'm doing gauges.

Friday, March 10, 2006 7:35 PM
Well I pretty much have the lighting done. As for the 12V switched source on the wipers, is it the yellow wire on the wiper stalk harness? The diagram does not call any of them a power wire. Could someone clarify this or refer me to another wire please. Thanks.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 9:10 AM
Anyone with suggestions for a CONSTANT 12V switched source? I know wipers work but I still can't find which color to use. I also considered using the power wire to the gauge cluster, but wasn't sure if it could run the IP cluster as well as 2 more gauges.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 10:36 AM
For the wipers, tap into the wiper fuse in the dash, then just run the wire directly up to the pillar.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 10:47 AM
david norris wrote:For the wipers, tap into the wiper fuse in the dash, then just run the wire directly up to the pillar.

ya, thats how i have my cd player wired. run the wire directly to the fuse panel to the sire of the driver, and plug it into the slot for the wiper fuse, and insert fuse over the wire. that gives it power once the key is in the forward position

and the brown wire in the column is also the wire i used to illuminate my gauges, so you're on the right track

Saturday, March 11, 2006 11:10 AM
Wow that is so simple that I never thought of it. I will give it a try. Thanks guys.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 10:57 PM
Yep, should be very very simple.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search