custom interiors - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
custom interiors
Monday, September 12, 2005 7:52 AM
I was just wondering whats involved in making things like consoles and dashpieces from fiberglass, its been covered in brief, but is it done in the car, or not, how do u mount it etc.

Re: custom interiors
Monday, September 12, 2005 9:18 AM
please use the search button

Xtreme PC Concepts Opening Up Soon In Decatur Indiana
Monday, September 12, 2005 9:19 AM
You need to build a solid framework, or skeleton, of what you want. Then stretch fleece across the framework so it is super tight and won't sag when wet. Next paint on the fiberglass resin and let it dry. Then ad a couple more layers of fiberglass after you sand a little between coates so the next layer sticks to the last one. If you need a lot of strength, make one of your layers fiberglass matting and soak it down.

I try to do as much as possible inside the car so nothing warps. Cause if the fiberglass is mixed with too much catalyst, the heat makes your project warp and twist. Then it won't fit. But you should use some rage gold, or tigers hair, or something that is like body filler that won't allow your project to change shape. Once this is done start smoothing out "dips" and imperfections with body filler, and lastly icing or dolphin glaze (thin fillers for pin holes or scratches). Then paint or vinyl. Keep in mind the project has to be flawless for paint. Any imperfections are magnified once painted.

My biggest peice of advice is use existing car parts to build off of, don't try and create something entirely. My dash is completely created out of nothing and it has several flaws you can't see in pictures, which means I need to start again and improve what I have....

^CLICK ME TO SEE HOW I BUILT EVERYTHING^ How To in Interior Forum
Monday, September 19, 2005 7:15 AM
got it, does that go the same for door panels etc? how are the new pieces mounted in the car?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search