18inch with air ryde questions - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
18inch with air ryde questions
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:23 AM
I am looking at getting a set of 18 inch wheels to go on my cavy. I have been reading up on it and i am seeing that 225/40/r18 tires is the way to go. some say 35mm offset is the best others say 42mm offset is the best, who really knows? My question is, does anyone have 18s with air ride and what sizes are they working with that seem to do the best?

i can get the wheels i want is either 42 mm offset or 35 mm offset. and my air ride kit is the easy street setup.

Thanks guys.

Re: 18inch with air ryde questions
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:52 PM
Well 35mm offset would put you really close to rubbing the fenders so I'm guessing the 42mm would be a lot better for cars on air.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:56 PM
With airride you want a 42mm or 45mm offset, depending on the width of the rim. A 35mm offset will not tuck, it sticks out to far. The rims i have finally decided on are 18" x 7.5" wide with a 42mm offset.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:05 AM
get the 42. i was running 18x7.5 with a 48mm offset

Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:51 AM
the rims i am looking at are 18x8 in either a 42mm offset or 35mm offset normally, but this is a unique situation because the rims i am getting are custom made rims. My family owns a grinding shop and we work with another milling machine shop that juts got some new Walter CNC milling machines in and they are going to make me a set of rims. The company owes me a favor and its really not that much money considering i am doing all the cad drawings and all they are doing is putting it on their CNC. Let me know guys what would be the most idea offset?

The company is a company in reading, PA that normally does chroming and powder coating on rims but they recently purchased a CNC to do custom orders. They work with some racing association, but they will make custom wheels while at the same time they will not be cheap. i think its 400 something for custom 16 inch rims...

thanks for the input.
Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:54 PM
I talked to the rep today. he will make the rims for me on some spare alloy blanks, unfortunately the blanks are setup for a 35mm offset . would it be OK if i would get a 35mm offset on a 5x100 bolt pattern 18x8 rim and just put 215/40/18 tires on it instead of 225/40/18? remember i have an easy street air ride setup...

thanks for all the help guys.
Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:18 PM
I know the best offset for tucking is 42-45mm offset. You are prob going to have some clearance issues in both the front and rear due to them being 35mm (speaking from experience with 19x8 with a 35mm offset and no air, just lowering springs). To the point where you are going to have to roll the fenders and rear quarters some just to make sure you do not have any clearance issues.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:32 PM
35mm offset is going to require work to get them to tuck. With rolled toyo fenders up front and rolled rear fenders you *might* tuck. Your just wasting money(or a favor) getting them in a 35mm offset.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:06 PM
I am with you tinkles in the waste of money. I will be paying a lot for rims and if they are not what i need their is no point.... Maybe next time.

Thanks again guys you all helped a lot.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search