changing the offset on the car, not the wheel - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
changing the offset on the car, not the wheel
Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:29 PM
Is it at all possible to change the cars wheel offset by replacing the wheel bearing hub or modifying it? My back tires fit beautifully but it seems to be pushing out a little far in the front, this is causing some fender rub when turing at high speeds. The tire does not fit completely behind the fender lip. all i need is a few millimeters, if that

Thanks for the knowledge!

Re: changing the offset on the car, not the wheel
Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:34 PM
There is going to be too much hassle doing that with the front, you have the axle and all thats made for that exact dimension, if you were too move it in, you would have to shorten your axles to compensate, I always thought that the front was fine, and the rear needed to come out. Look into rolling your fenders. That would prolly help alot.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:37 PM
lets say I had access to an autoshop with every tool and lift i need. would it be worth it then?. Whats involved in rolling the fenders?

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:44 PM
Our front fenders are easy to roll with the tool, I was able to fold mine flat with some patience and time.

Just don't ever touch the quarter panel with it. Haha.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:46 PM
Joe Schulte wrote:Our front fenders are easy to roll with the tool, I was able to fold mine flat with some patience and time.

Just don't ever touch the quarter panel with it. Haha.

i did my QP's

Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:32 PM
I did the ghettoriffic baseball bat front fender roll. Went flawlessly - just go slow.

I attempted the rear fenders. Rumpled the heck out of them, even after slicing them. lol.

$500 in bodywork later at soundspeed and they're straight and welded in with no lip. Expensive lesson to learn. lol.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, November 14, 2008 3:16 AM
-Alex- wrote:lets say I had access to an autoshop with every tool and lift i need. would it be worth it then?. Whats involved in rolling the fenders?

im not trying to be a dick but you dont know how to roll fenders but yet your willing to take on a task like shorten the axle?

honestly it would be much cheaper and easier to buy different wheels. you can find wheels dirt cheap.

Friday, November 14, 2008 8:23 AM
well here are some things you don't know.

I have a mechanic with his own shop. He's my dad
I won't be doing the work
I just bought new wheels. went from 18 to 17. This is why i now have the problem. It's impossible to tell if its gonna rub until it happens. I'm not gonna waste time returning them. I like them.
I want to explore all my options.

it seems a non oem wheel hub (if one exists) would be a little different and give me the clearance i need.

Friday, November 14, 2008 8:59 AM
you would be better off getting the proper offset wheels. im sure that same rime is made in an offset more suitable for your car. dont go mashing parts together just to keep your rims that you like because you didnt think ahead to fitment.

im not trying to be a douche, but it would be much easier to roll the front fenders than to hack up the transaxels. as for a hub swap, thats not going to do anything. i dont think you will find a hub that is going to get you any shorter or closer in to the car, and if you do then you have to worry about brake clearance from the caliper to the rim. just do it properly... return your rims (even the fronts if you like) and get the proper offset. if you have to return all 4, you can space out the rear with hub adapters/spacers to line up the rear wheels with the rear QP.

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @
innovativetuning@rogers.com

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Friday, November 14, 2008 9:46 AM
here i am asking for a yes or no and of course a few guys get on the high and mighty train, You don't know the circumstances on why i chose what i did, and they DO fit. there is just a problem when my wheel is turned to the extreme and i hit a drive way or something similar, ALL of you would say they fit based on what what seen at the shop. The offset is the same as my old wheels so don't you dare say i didn't plan ahead. for not trying to be a douchebag you sure are failing. majority of this forum would be fine with the car as it sits.

I really thought I wouldnt have to defend my decisions on this forum, guess i was wrong

Friday, November 14, 2008 10:49 AM
-Alex- wrote:here i am asking for a yes or no and of course a few guys get on the high and mighty train, You don't know the circumstances on why i chose what i did, and they DO fit. there is just a problem when my wheel is turned to the extreme and i hit a drive way or something similar, ALL of you would say they fit based on what what seen at the shop. The offset is the same as my old wheels so don't you dare say i didn't plan ahead. for not trying to be a douchebag you sure are failing. majority of this forum would be fine with the car as it sits.

I really thought I wouldnt have to defend my decisions on this forum, guess i was wrong

so sorry for asking simple @!#$ questions. why dont you get off your high and mighty train about your wheels.

what are the specs on the wheels? what size tires are you running?

is it possible? yes it is but its honestly not worth it. are these wheels super rare that you have to keep them? what happenes when you snap a cv joint? your going to have to go through this whole process again.

Friday, November 14, 2008 11:09 AM
I dont see what is wrong with any of the suggestions laid out by the org members.

To answer your question, no, noone makes an offset wheel bearing or something simple to suck your wheels in a tad up front.

From the factory these cars front wheels stick out further than the rear, so that should have been considered.

I think you just need to roll your fenders, or better yet, get toyo fenders, and your problems are solved. its an easy solution that you get to keep your wheels.
Also, I see no responce to what tire size your running......are you running the proper tire?

Friday, November 14, 2008 11:25 AM
the tire is 215/45/17

alright listen, I didnt say i was going to change the wheel hub if it requires alot of work, I just wanted to know if it was possible. The wheels are cheap and probably don't come in other offsets, I don't have the money to get another set of wheels, that's stupid. I had to get something new because I had a blowout and the other tires were shot anyway. I had only a couple hours to replace my wheels and tires. I wasnt going to get 215/35/18 tires again, I HATE THEM. I WAS DRIVING A TRACTOR. The amount of rubbing that occurs is not enough to go through the trouble of changing them. I will look into rolling the front fenders.

thanks to those who answered my questions and didnt just tell me to buy something new.

Friday, November 14, 2008 11:44 AM
Options.....

Roll the fenders
Toyota fenders
Have your rims shaved (a lot of RWD guys do this to get the correct offset..... NOT ALL RIMS CAN BE SHAVED)

No easy way to "pull" the tire in more on our cars..... since then your tire would be rubbing the strut.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, November 14, 2008 11:54 AM
still waiting on wheel specs... whats the offset, width, etc? if im going to fail at being a douche bag when im trying to be nice, i might as well fail gloriously!

we have all (well, most) have provided you with good info on how to solve your problem. we werent all saying you have to "buy something new". roll the damn fenders and be done with it! i'll even lend you the baseball bat if thats the problem.

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Friday, November 14, 2008 12:03 PM
17x7.5 42mm offset, Oh hey guess what, it's a 5x100 bolt pattern go figure. don't waste your time with me if you're already resorting to sarcasm. my questions are answered and thats all I needed. Thanks

Friday, November 14, 2008 12:41 PM
how were you riding on 215/35/18s last time and still rubbing?

we all said it. you probably can shorten your axle if you choose but its going to take work and if you break your axle your stuck doing it again and again if it breaks.

Friday, November 14, 2008 2:50 PM
-Alex- wrote:17x7.5 42mm offset, Oh hey guess what, it's a 5x100 bolt pattern go figure. don't waste your time with me if you're already resorting to sarcasm. my questions are answered and thats all I needed. Thanks

with specs like that i really dont understand how its running. offset is close enough to call it good... there are some manufacturers that design and construct their rims weired sometimes. alot of times if they have a different run of widths of a certain rim they may change the angle of the spokes and just add the extra width for the next size up to only one size.... hard to explain what im talking about but it makes sense in my head.

glad you got your answers.

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Friday, November 14, 2008 3:27 PM
whitegoose wrote:
-Alex- wrote:17x7.5 42mm offset, Oh hey guess what, it's a 5x100 bolt pattern go figure. don't waste your time with me if you're already resorting to sarcasm. my questions are answered and thats all I needed. Thanks

with specs like that i really dont understand how its running. offset is close enough to call it good... there are some manufacturers that design and construct their rims weired sometimes. alot of times if they have a different run of widths of a certain rim they may change the angle of the spokes and just add the extra width for the next size up to only one size.... hard to explain what im talking about but it makes sense in my head.

glad you got your answers.

yup just didnt make sense to me why i'm having issues, even though they are minor

cheers

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search