what size tires can fit? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what size tires can fit?
Thursday, November 06, 2008 9:33 PM
I am buying a new set of 17x7 ICW ODESSA rims for my 05 Cavalier(base model). I was just wondering what sizes tires I should get? I was thinking either 215/45/17 or 225/45/17. Can 235/45/17 fit on a 17x7 rim? And what does a +45 offset mean? My stock tire size on the car is 195/70/14. Thank you for all of your input.

Re: what size tires can fit?
Friday, November 07, 2008 2:55 AM
Saturday, November 08, 2008 4:20 AM
They will fit fine, the 235 will give you a little more cushion and be a little wider. The 225/45 is the correct size.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 10:51 AM
I am under the impression that "offset" is the measurement of the distance from the BACK of the rim, where it bolts to the hub, (cant think of another word for it) to the inside lip of the rim. It is a horizontal measurement if the rim is in the same position as it would be if it were on the car. It is hard to explain without a picture, which I don't have. But a 45mm offset would mean the distance is 45mm from that BACK area that mounts to the hub, to the inside of the wheel. This 45mm will not be the distance to any other actual part of the wheel. I'm sorry this explanation is so confusing. Hopefully someone else can explain it in better terms.

ERIC
Wednesday, December 03, 2008 10:56 AM
Actually, I think I stand corrected... I did a google image search of "wheel offset", and it is the measurement from the center of the rim (width, not diameter) to the inside or outside edge of the rim. Put it in google and you'll see what I mean. Sorry about the wrong comment!

ERIC
Wednesday, December 03, 2008 7:16 PM
Go 225/45.

Friday, December 05, 2008 11:34 PM
timothy wedel wrote: And what does a +45 offset mean? My stock tire size on the car is 195/70/14.

Here's a link I think is helpful: http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/tech.php?bulletin=s10 Offset is difficult to measure on the real world, but backspacing you can find easily with a ruler and a straightedge, from which point you can calculate your positive or negative offset in millimeters. Here's an online calculator that claims to compare different offsets directly: http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

It's most customary to swap to a tire size that is the same overall height as your car's OE tire. This tire height calculator can point you in the right direction, keeping in mind that you'll also want to visit somewhere like the Tire Rack's spec pages to look up the manufacturer's specific advertised diameter, as it may vary somewhat from what you'll get from this calculator.

_________________________________________________________________________________
2003 Cavalier, base with auto/tilt/CD/AC (wife's) -- 2012 Mazda5 Touring with audio package (mine)
Saturday, December 06, 2008 11:10 AM
James (ROLN19S) (JuicyJ) wrote:They will fit fine, the 235 will give you a little more cushion and be a little wider. The 225/45 is the correct size.

wrong. looked it up at work, and the correct size would be 215-45. exactly the same outside diameter as the 195-70-14, which is important if you want your speedometer and odometer to be accurate. 205-50's would be ok too but not recommended. hope it helps.

Did I mention I drive a 2000 Lumina now?-----wigm-tuners.org member
Saturday, December 06, 2008 11:19 PM
974drfire (Matt Littel) wrote:
James (ROLN19S) (JuicyJ) wrote:They will fit fine, the 235 will give you a little more cushion and be a little wider. The 225/45 is the correct size.

wrong. looked it up at work, and the correct size would be 215-45. exactly the same outside diameter as the 195-70-14, which is important if you want your speedometer and odometer to be accurate. 205-50's would be ok too but not recommended. hope it helps.

James is not wrong. 215/45 and 225/45 will both work fine going from a stock size of 195/70/14.

Monday, December 08, 2008 6:36 PM
i was just goin off the program at work. all i was really saying was the 215 would be the most accurate width. a 225 will work as well, depending how wide you wanna go.

Did I mention I drive a 2000 Lumina now?-----wigm-tuners.org member
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search