How tall of a slick can I mount in inches? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How tall of a slick can I mount in inches?
Thursday, November 06, 2008 12:11 PM
I'm thinking of buying some slicks for the track, but when it comes to slicks everything needs to be in inches. This is fine for width because I know on a 7" wide rim our cars usually accept 195, 205, 215, or 225. I can use an online converter and come up with 7.68", 8.07", 8.47", and 8.86".

M&H at Jegs has 7.5", 8.0", 8.3", 8.5", and 8.7" wide slicks. Some are for 15" rims, some for 13" rims. I have 14" steel rims, so I can just pick up a set of wheels for whatever I need. I want to go with 13s for weight savings though.

Which brings me to the title question. How tall in inches does my tire need to be on a 13" rim. They have 22", 23", 24.5", 25", and a 26".
Anybody know what will fit in the wheel well? Right now it's at stock ride height. I don't really care if it pokes out. Just kind of confused about tire height.

Re: How tall of a slick can I mount in inches?
Thursday, November 06, 2008 12:20 PM
Off topic but will a 13" wheel fit over the stock brakes?

Thursday, November 06, 2008 2:40 PM
Don't know. 14s are stock on a base Sunfire. Didn't really think about it

Friday, November 07, 2008 7:11 PM
i'm pretty sure 26" tall is the absolute MAX you can run in our fender and not get too much rubbing.

The other thing is I don't think slicks will fit with the stock suspension (the inside rubs the spring perch)

IDK what the limit on width should be, but my drag radials were about 8" wide and they did rub the inside of the fender wells a little bit.

if you want to go wider, run a wheel with a smaller offset (to bring the wheel out of the well and give clearance for the slick)

hoosier makes some nice slicks that will fit the 14" steelie.. I'm pretty sure they're the Quick Time Pro tires they sell.

Friday, November 07, 2008 8:10 PM
I found these Hoosier But then my 16" Enkie would need to be used.
Or these MT
or of course these BFG DR
I don't know. Anybody think of anything? I have 14" steelies or the 16" x 7" Enkies in the Sig to mount. Stock suspension right now, but will be getting that Feb.

Saturday, November 08, 2008 4:16 AM
A wheel with a 35mm offset and a 26" tire will work fine if you are not lowered. Not sure if it will if you are lowered.

Stock Sized 16" wheels on a J-Body with 205/55/16 is : Overall Diameter: 24.87 in
My 19's I had on my Daily Driver with 235/35/19 is: Overall Diameter: 25.47 in

NO RUBBING on the Daily Driver, however it was NOT lowered. If you are lowered you may rub.

Saturday, November 08, 2008 9:28 AM
Not ready to make this a 100% track only car just yet ( I love driving this thing), so I might be going with the MTs listed above on my spare 14" steelies. I still have a stock suspension, so I at least need to upgrade that. So, coilovers might be the only answer there to keep ride height in check for the tires.
I think these might have been the tires that PJ was talking about 14" Quick Time, but they are listed at 275. That seems pretty wide for our cars. Maybe if I use a wheel spacer and longer studs? Thoughts?

Saturday, November 08, 2008 7:23 PM
what all is done to the car? you would proably not need anything over 24.5" there are tons on hondas on 24.5" running 9's and without alot of hp 26" will just slow you down

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Saturday, November 08, 2008 9:15 PM
24.5x8x15 is the closest to stock diameter you will find on the market.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search