Interesting find - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Interesting find
Tuesday, December 05, 2006 7:37 AM
So I've always had the nagging thought in my head, "How cool would it be to have a fully built 4T-65E from a GTP installed in a wickedly high-hp j-body application?" But alas, although the trans HAS been fitted to a 1st gen before (which is what I have)... How the hell do I control it since its an electronic trans and I simply do not feel like trying to bastardize the stock ECU/wiring to somehow make it work. Well, I came across this.... http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/content-4.html Not really sure what to think about it but it does beg more research... I also skimmed the Cobalt Phase 5 build guide thingy and saw that GM uses the 4t65e, but I can't seem to find it again to see what they used to control the trans. Anybody got the link to that handy? Just thought I'd post it since it does offer some cool features like paddle shift and total programmability. I know for the 4T40 its essentially useless since HPT can do most of what you need it to do, but its potential for allowing us to use what is (arguably) the toughest FWD auto trans out there seemed to bear enough significance to post it.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said

Re: Interesting find
Tuesday, December 05, 2006 2:32 PM
GM also used the 4t65e on the drag Sunfire back in the day. Of course they could control everything. I have been looking for something like this for my 83 Custom deluxe. I have access to a 4L60E I would like to put in it.

FU Tuning

Re: Interesting find
Wednesday, December 06, 2006 3:01 AM
John Higgins wrote:GM also used the 4t65e on the drag Sunfire back in the day. Of course they could control everything. .

Yeah, this whole search was started because I knew GM had mated the 4T65 with the Cobalt for the drag racing package, but couldn't find what they used to control it... I happened across this by chance, but it almost makes me consider doing an eco + 4t65 + monster turbo in the 87... The only thing is that then I'd have to add transmission control tuning to the list of arcane knowledge I need to acquire... Just when I thought I understood most aspects of engine tuning, and now THIS! lol... Plus the added bonus of that spiffy paddle-shift feature... I would have been happy with something that just had enough programming to control the trans and alter the shift points and TC lockup.

John Higgins wrote:I have been looking for something like this for my 83 Custom deluxe. I have access to a 4L60E I would like to put in it.

Well, looks like I found it for you Now go to it

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search