reverse lockout collar - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
reverse lockout collar
Sunday, November 26, 2006 8:05 PM
i want a momo shift knob but they wont work with the stupid rverse collar so my question is, how dangerous is it to take that stupid thing off? if your driving and have the collar up and go to pull it into reverse, will it go??? or is the collar just another quirky GM thing??

was thinkin about getting the mantaprt shifter assembly also

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers

Re: reverse lockout collar
Monday, November 27, 2006 11:12 PM
once you take off the boot, you'll see how the reverse lockout works. there's a little arm that comes out from the collar that's blocked by a plastic piece on the mount. pull up on the collar, it brings the little arm up and over the plastic piece. break the little arm off, and you're good. if you install a short shifter, once you put the boot back on, it covers the collar completely, so it's pretty much inaccessible. I guess you can say that it's a quirky GM thing.

and if you ever feel the need to go straight into reverse while driving, a) good luck getting it there, it's gonna be tough. and b) if you're in a situation where you need to accomplish this, you shouldn't have gotten yourself into it in the first place.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 4:14 AM
ahah thats would be a HUGE FOUL ohh lets go into reverse at 45 mph!!!

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 6:48 AM
Yeah when i installed my ebay short shifter, i took the reverse lockout off. No need for it i think. There should be no way to go into reverse while driving forward really.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 8:24 PM
Vincent Morris wrote:Yeah when i installed my ebay short shifter, i took the reverse lockout off. No need for it i think. There should be no way to go into reverse while driving forward really.

during an auto-x event around here there was a supercharged mini that somehow got it into reverse going about 25MPH and then the person dumped the clutch! what a way to stop real quick! its not impossible, but highly unlikely something like this would ever happen, there would be alot of grinding before it would go into gear unless you were like the driver of this mini and had "super shifting muscles"

Friday, December 01, 2006 9:40 PM
Ditto what these guys said- it would theoretically be possible to go into reverse, but you would have to be either really unlucky or trying really hard.
Monday, December 04, 2006 5:24 PM
you can not go from 5th to R in a Getrag tranny, there is a lock out inside of the tranny also.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Monday, December 11, 2006 1:19 AM
thats what i thought i just wasnt sure b/c never really got my tranny apart so i figured to collar was just an added protection thing. freq z thanx for the help but i knew how the collar thingy works just didnt know if it was the only lockout mechanism, never really tried to go from foward to reverse before. thanx to all for the advise

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers
Monday, December 11, 2006 2:18 AM
don't break the plastic arm

there's a split pin that holds the assembly on the B&M short shifter

knock that out with a punch and a hammer, and the whole lockout assembly pulls right off the shifter
then any knob you want will work with the shifter I just did it this weekend and I love my new matching momo knob with my momo wheel

black+carbon fiber FTW

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search