Changing transmissions, help please - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Changing transmissions, help please
Wednesday, November 15, 2006 1:53 PM
I will be changing the transmission on my girlfriends 96 sunfire this weekend. After searching around on the forum i found that most people seem to find it alot easier to just drop the tranny from the bottom. I would love to do it this way (i really dont wanna mess with the A/C, coolant, power steering etc...) but am not sure exactly how to and i could not find any write ups or help searching. Could anybody give me some instructions to point me in the right direction on how to go about dropping it like that. If not i will just go ahead and pull the motor and tranny and do it out of the car.

Thanks

Re: Changing transmissions, help please
Wednesday, November 15, 2006 2:15 PM
dude its easy thats how i pretty much do it at work fuss unbolt the cradle and all the other @!#$ incorporating the trans along with the cooler lines and it should be a snap!!!

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 2:41 PM
So what all needs to be taking off? The lower A arms and the exhaust are the main things i see in the way. Then after i get them out how much more is holding the tranny up? I really cant see any motor mounts easily, and another question i had is wont motor wanna fall when you remove the tranny? I cant exactly see how the motor mounts are setup but i know in my grand prix the motor mounts were on the tranny so if the tranny was pulled theres nothing holding the motor up.
Wednesday, November 15, 2006 5:24 PM
Unbolt the subframe, thats the easiest way...

Pop off the control arms for the steering
Take off the front tires
Undo the bolts for the struts
Take out the bolts that hold the subframe on (it will drop off after this)

Now you have a clear path to pull the transmission out the bottom.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 5:52 PM
Is this a manual tranny? If so we drop them without dropping the subframe. Sometimes we do lossen one side of the subframe, but never drop it. Also out the bottem as well.

FU Tuning

Thursday, November 16, 2006 11:24 AM
3 speed auto. I got a haynes manual and they show it done without dropping the subframe on the automatic.
Thursday, November 16, 2006 11:40 AM
John Higgins wrote:Is this a manual tranny? If so we drop them without dropping the subframe. Sometimes we do lossen one side of the subframe, but never drop it. Also out the bottem as well.

John, You are telling me something I did not know. When I swapped the tranny in my GA I removed the subframe. Did not think you could even get to the tranny without removing it. So can you explain a little better? I have to get my LSD plates in and this would be alot easier. Maybe the j body procedure is different then an n body, but I did not think so.

Thanks
Craig

Labrat
Tuesday, November 21, 2006 7:58 AM
What do you guys use to lower tranny down with? A jack and block of wood? lol
I need to knowwww

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, November 23, 2006 7:03 PM
Quote:

3 speed auto. I got a haynes manual and they show it done without dropping the subframe on the automatic.

be careful when you remove the bolts from the torque converter. the heads strip pretty easy.
i also suggest drianing the fluid out of the tranny first, pull off the pan and let it drain for a while, since the tranny is scrap you don't even need to put the pan back on.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search