Can You Resurface a Pressure Plate?? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can You Resurface a Pressure Plate??
Thursday, July 20, 2006 10:51 PM
I had a defect in my SPEC clutch disc, and after I took it out, I noticed there are some black spots on the pressure plate. They aren't grooved in at all, just dark black spots that almost seem to be glazed over. Will this affect anything when I put the new disc in, and if so can I get it resurfaced like you can with the flywheel??

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R

Re: Can You Resurface a Pressure Plate??
Friday, July 21, 2006 8:44 AM
I wouldn't think you would want to resurface it at all, as that would mess with the clearances and tolerances, maybe try a buffing wheel of some sort to try and get rid of the marks if it bothers you, but it shouldn't be a problem, likely just clutch dust or something cooked on. The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel, so it's not a part that is going to get glazed or anything like a flywheel would.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Friday, July 21, 2006 2:47 PM
Anyone else with an opinion?

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Friday, July 21, 2006 9:06 PM
I think you can use brake cleaner to clean the disc.

You can resurface the flywheel if you want to, you'll just need to break the clutch in again I think.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, July 21, 2006 11:06 PM
I tried brake cleaner and it doesn't come over. It's like actually glazed on. And I'm talking about resurfacing the pressure plate, not the flywheel. I already have the flywheel resurfaced. I'm just wondering if these black glazed spots will affect performance/longevity of the clutch and if so, if the pressure plate can be resurfaced.

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Friday, July 21, 2006 11:46 PM
I wouldn't know how to put it into the chuck of my machine lathe but I am sure someone has a special chuck to do it with. Most people I know replaced the PP with a matched one when they upgraded to a premium clutch kit. Never hear of anyone resurfacing the PP, but it really sounds like you have got bad high and low spots and the clutch material filled in the lows. I doubt it will encourage slipping. You should be ok but now is the time to upgrade.

--------------
Yea, ummmm. I used to have a J-body...
Saturday, July 22, 2006 10:00 AM
Since he had the SPEC clutch, he'd already have an upgraded pressure plate.

Sunday, July 23, 2006 11:06 AM
SHOoff wrote:Since he had the SPEC clutch, he'd already have an upgraded pressure plate.

Correct, I have the complete SPEC package. I sanded the black spots off with 2000 grit sandpaper. You can still see where they were, but it looks better. I'm going to try it like that.

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Sunday, July 23, 2006 10:26 PM
the black spots are from the metal heating up, and yes it makes those spots super hard and you can get clutch chatter from it.

take it to a place that does clutches locally and ask them to rebuild the pressure plate, i'm sure any clutch shop can do it for you, i've had it done a few times.

Start New Topic Advanced Search