tranny mount or engine mount going? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tranny mount or engine mount going?
Friday, July 14, 2006 4:54 PM

Hi, I am new to Sunfires, and front wheel drive, so I am hoping someone can help me. I have a 99' Coupe with the three speed automatic, and 2.2 engine. I noticed when I was loosening the spark plugs, how easily the motor would rock back and forth. I got the top engine mount out, and took it to the auto store. I was going to order a replacement, but a worker messed with it and said it was in good condition. They told me a different mount was the culprit. I didn't think to ask where it was located. I got under the car and searched all over, but didn't see another mount. Could someone let me know how many mounts there are, and their locations? I have searched all over the internet, and did searches in this forum, but found nothing. Thanks for the help

Kevin

Re: tranny mount or engine mount going?
Friday, July 14, 2006 8:29 PM
right straight below the upper engine mount, its on the passenger side attached to the subframe, down and to the right of the crank pulley.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 10:02 AM
the stock mounts on the J-Bodies are completely sloppy. I had pictures of the deflection in my stock upper motor mount before. I'll have to take some pics of the stock mounts and how much the soft rubber deflects. I replaced every mount with urethane bushings. Best thing I've ever done to the car. At least before the big power mods. LOL.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, July 17, 2006 9:22 AM

I was just looking on the wrong side. I would like to see those pics. The mount I took off had alot of deflection, but the guy said that was normal. Felt like way too much to me. I will not be increasing power output so I feel stock replacements would suffice. Thanks.
Monday, July 17, 2006 9:53 PM
if you can grab the top of the engine and move it back and forth lots and see a good 1" or more of movement in the upper mount its @!#$!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 12:01 PM

Then I was right. I thought that didn't look right in that mount. Thanks everyone.
Saturday, August 12, 2006 1:08 PM

Can anyone tell me how to get the tranny mount out? I know it is on the driver side, and in the rear of the transmission, but that is about it. If anyone has some tips that might make it go faster, I would appreciate it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search