Possible to swap a ecotec into a pre 2000 cavy? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Possible to swap a ecotec into a pre 2000 cavy?
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:41 PM
I have a 1998 Cavalier z24 automatic and the engine and tranny is shot so I want to swap the 2.2L ecotec motor into it as well as the getrag 5 speed tranny. I am able to get a ecotec cut car/parts car so my concern is with the wiring. Also since I have an automatic tranny will the mount be different than the eco getrag ?

Re: Possible to swap a ecotec into a pre 2000 cavy?
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:49 PM
also does anyone know if my 2.4 L power steering pump will work on the ecotec
Re: Possible to swap a ecotec into a pre 2000 cavy?
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:26 PM
your power sterring will work..........

and it will work but it will need trans mounts bolted in for the new trns

*************Yea i spell liek wrong get over it*****************
** If i write in caps its cause im @ work and i can only write in caps cause the keyboard is a retarded CAPS only keyboard.**
Re: Possible to swap a ecotec into a pre 2000 cavy
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:35 PM
yeah I'm putting a 2.2 ecotec and tranny in my 1995 z24 too looks like some work but do able

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 11:39 PM
Someone on this site has a write up of a 2000 and up conversion to Ecotec and that is not suppose to be as bad.

--------------
Yea, ummmm. I used to have a J-body...
Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:11 AM
Snowman wrote:your power sterring will work..........

and it will work but it will need trans mounts bolted in for the new trns

Not bolted, welded

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:37 AM
hey guys, i havnt been on here in a long time, but ill be helping with this swap. Kyle will be getting the entire fron section from an 04 fire to go into his 98 Z24 auto. Since his car is auto, is that trans not a getrag? Wouldnt the trans mount be the same then for the 04 getrag 5spd?

I read completely thru the write-up on the eco swap on here... lotsa good info but i think we have a few extra hurdles swapping into a non-BCM car. Shouldnt be much of a concern tho.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:53 AM
If you wanna swap in an eco in a pre 2000 car you will most likely need the following(trying to remember from another guy on here that did it)

engine
tranny
complete wiring harnes(inside the cab as well)
gauge cluster
fuel lines
fuel tank along with the pump

basically a donor car..

Some please corret me if Im wrong, im just going by memory here.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:41 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:If you wanna swap in an eco in a pre 2000 car you will most likely need the following(trying to remember from another guy on here that did it)

engine
tranny
complete wiring harnes(inside the cab as well)
gauge cluster
fuel lines
fuel tank along with the pump

basically a donor car..

Some please corret me if Im wrong, im just going by memory here.

Your on the right track.
Here is a link to a post on this topic. I outline what is needed in a pre 2000 J.
Ecotec swap

FU Tuning

Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:35 AM
ok so with the donor we are getting, pretty much everything will be included except for the gas tank, pump & evap.

what is wrong with keeping the 2.4 tank, pump, sending unit & evap? I know the new tank is plastic, but his tank & pump is brand new. probly less than 1000km on them. and whats wrong with just wiring the stock 2.4 eval up? If we have to adapt fuel lines, thats not a problem.

and regarding the sending unit, he has all aftermarket gauges including fuel level... the new cluster will just be tucked behind the dash just to keep the car running. I imaging the BCM will set the CEL, but it wont actually prevent the car from running, will it?

Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:06 AM
You wont need the 2.4 power steering pump since you are getting the complete frt section of the car. Just use the new rack, lines and pump.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:08 AM
Also, the auto and 5 speed mounts are completely different. You will need to cut the brackets from the donor frame rail and weld them onto the car.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:15 AM
ok, but if his PS pump will bolt right up to the eco, we'd rather do that... one less fluid to buy, and one less system to bleed.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:17 AM
who said anything about buying fluid and bleeding, if you transfer everything over and leave the lines/pump attached to the rach, you dont lose fluid or have to bleed!
Stop being so lazy jackass!!!!!

Thursday, June 15, 2006 12:11 PM
lol, get yerass down here and help then Darren

Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:28 PM
Here is the problem I see your going to run into. You will need a BCM to run the Ecotec. You really need the inside wiring of the car to have the BCM in the car. If you use a 2000+ inside wiring you would do not have to use the gauge cluster(stock) like you do on a pre 2000 to run the car. 2000+ plus cars will run without a gauges cluster, so using the aftermarket gauges will be fine. With using a 2000+ inside wiring this changes connections back by the fuel tank for the fuel pump and evap. I know of at least one person who has done a ecotec and used the pre 2000 gas tanks, it can be done, but he used a 2000+ wiring harness. The 2.4 and Ecotec power sterring pumps are the same (except color/finish) of the houseing that mounts to the cam, so you could use the 2.4 pump. My question is way be so cheap to not want to buy power sterring fluid. I personally like the Ecotec power sterring houseing better over the 2.4 one.
The tranny mounts are different. You can buy them from GM for about $25 each, or you could just cut the ones out of the clip you have and weld them into the car getting the motor. You will need to cut the auto mount off it will get in the way when you go to mount motor and tranny. We know we had this happen. Make sure you take measurements on the mounts to get them welded in the correct place.

FU Tuning

Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:29 PM
its not about being cheap over power steerin fluid, its just that the system is already sealed. would you unhook your AC compressor when you pull the engine, or leave it in then just re-bolt it in. same dif, it just saves a bit of time with having one less set of lines to worry about leaking, and one less fluid system to have to worry about getting all the air out of.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:30 PM
and we are getting the BCM as well as the interior harnesses. about the only thing we wont be getting is the eco tank, fuel pump & evap.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search