Torquing the three-speed - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Torquing the three-speed
Saturday, April 29, 2006 11:39 AM
Just wondering where people generally torquebrake their three-speeds up to? I was messing around today and even with it torqued up to about 1800 rpm the car didn't seem to launch all that hard. It also "forgets" to shift and hits the rev limiter out of first at WOT, even fully warmed up. These two points are making me consider changing the trans fluid - it's the original fluid at 96k miles. Ideas?

I was happy when I heard my car ran 10s. Then I found out that was 0-60.

Re: Torquing the three-speed
Sunday, April 30, 2006 4:12 AM
Wooo. Original fluid at 96k? My fluid was burnt at 56k and I had a GM dealer flush it and change the filter. Then I did a pan drop + filter change 5k later just to make sure it was cleaned out. I would be ascared of doing that at 96k on orignal fluid though. Might stir up the crap in the trans so to speak. If my trans was slipping into 2nd that bad I would stop beating on it and save for a new trans. IMO

Sunday, April 30, 2006 11:06 AM
Hmmm Monday morning I'm calling the dealership. I generalyl don't beat on it though, and shifts into second are fine *unless* my foot's *right* on the floor.

I was happy when I heard my car ran 10s. Then I found out that was 0-60.
Sunday, April 30, 2006 1:54 PM
Maybe the TV cable is out of adjustment. But Im not sure how much that affects these transmissions...

Monday, May 01, 2006 5:47 AM
When You guys launch do you downshift into low or do you just mat it ?
Monday, May 01, 2006 4:01 PM
Slammed Cavy wrote:When You guys launch do you downshift into low or do you just mat it ?

not much point in going down into first imo, its not like these transmissions have a manual valvebody or something so just mat it...

and FOOT BRAKING is different for every vehicle, one with cheap @!#$ no good tires will sping alot easier than one with good street tires/drag radials/slicks. If you plan to stick with the 3spd auto i would reccomend getting the Trans-go shift kit installed, it'll cost abit of cash to get it done but well worth it, put some Type F transmission fluid in it and adjust the TV (kickdown) cable and you'll be good to go and have a solid tranny.

at 96K i'd change the fluid and get the TV adjusted and go from there.

Start New Topic Advanced Search