can i use dexron3 ATF in my manual tranny? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
can i use dexron3 ATF in my manual tranny?
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 11:02 PM
i thought i read somewhere i could use ATF in my manual tranny. its a 98 if that matters. if not, what kind of MTF do i buy? any type?

i lowered my car about a week ago, and today i started hearing a pop whenever i take off from a stop or brake to a stop. i think it might be the tranny low on fluid, or could it be somthing in my strut assembly?

thanks.

- Cameron (CaliforniaCavalier)
- www.csc-motorsports.com (my new NOR-CAL car tuning site)

Re: can i use dexron3 ATF in my manual tranny?
Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:05 AM
Sounds like you could have a CV shaft problem. For fluid its called syncromesh gm uses it in almost all of their transmissions in the 90's, Penzoil manily makes it.

96 Camaro A4 383 12.5:1, E85, Full suspension, Nitrous outlet plate kit, hooker headers and catback, 3800 circle D converter.

2002 Silverado LQ4 6.0 CAI, Long tube headers, 4" exhaust

1996 s10- 97 ECU and wiring, soon to be boosted daily driver.
Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:55 AM
could be a bearing. They sometimes go when you lower it.

You can use dexron 3 in your manual tranny.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:57 AM
i dont think its the cv shaft, im almost positive its in the strut assembly.

i never heard the problem in my old car, and then i put my new struts and springs on it and it started making the noise. then i got this new z24 and had it for a few weeks....never heard the noise...then i put the struts and shocks from the old one on it and i hear the noise again.

what is that round thing with all the bearings in it called that sits above the spring on the strut? maybe thats going bad?

Thursday, January 12, 2006 12:37 PM
Sometimes the upperstrut mounts can make those noises, pop and crackle. is the spring settled in right?

96 Camaro A4 383 12.5:1, E85, Full suspension, Nitrous outlet plate kit, hooker headers and catback, 3800 circle D converter.

2002 Silverado LQ4 6.0 CAI, Long tube headers, 4" exhaust

1996 s10- 97 ECU and wiring, soon to be boosted daily driver.
Thursday, January 12, 2006 11:46 PM
Emry wrote:Sometimes the upperstrut mounts can make those noises, pop and crackle. is the spring settled in right?

but it never made that noise for the first few months, then one day it started....then i put the suspension on my new car and the noise continued....but now its LOUDER.

when i come to a stop it makes a squeek sound....like it makes multiple high-paced sqeeks as i slow, then when im going reall slow it makes a slower paced squeek, then as i turn it makes a thump.

god its so loud now.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 8:30 PM
I got the 98 sunfire with manual tranny. Call redline oil and order the MTL 70w-80 fluid. Its the same weight as the GM Synchromesh Fluid and redline has already made the MTL to replace the stock fluid of GM/saturn. Works great..you will need 2 qts to complete drain and refill. Recommend you get it really warm and then drain it. If you looking at the car its underneathe on the drivers side half way up. Can't miss it...decent size bolt. Hope this helps. MTL is around 9-13bucks a quart..but it'll never need replacing
Monday, January 16, 2006 9:17 AM
hey i found out what the noise was.

it wasnt my strut bearing at all....apparently it was the lug nuts were loose and so when i was driving down the road my tire came off and went down the hill.........
but i got it and put it back on. thank god no damage to the car.

however, the lugs started comming loose again, and arent wanting to stay on the studs. so i got 5 new studs and nuts im going to put on today.

Monday, January 16, 2006 11:47 AM
Check the wheel bearings anyway. I had a problem like that a few years ago with another car. I took the car to get some work done and whil I was there I had them rotate the tires because I'm lazy. Anyway, they didn't torque them down enough and my lugs came loose on one side. The impact from the wheel wobbling arond was bad enough it messed up the wheel bearing. And I read a post on here from about a week ago that they were having the same problem.

Opfer benotigt. Keine Erfahrung notwendig.

Victims needed. No experience necessary.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search