2.4 tranny - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 tranny
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 7:20 PM
well my tranny took a large dump the other night, blew a hole threw the case and now i am in the market for a tranny, everyone around me has ones to fit the 2.2 or the ecotec, and from what i hear their is no way to make them fit, or is their? cutting and welding dosent scare me on bit. or if anyone has one kicking around that they might be intrested in selling???

Re: 2.4 tranny
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 10:49 PM
If you disassemble the transmission and swap over your bellhousing, it would work. That assumes the hole is in the outer case, not the bellhousing.

Otherwise... no, won't work.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 11:43 AM
is swaping the cases easy to do?
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 1:24 PM
Not exactly.... you need special tools to do it, and effectively you're disassembling the entire transmission to do it.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it an 11. I've rebuilt engines before, but I wouldn't even think of attempting this.

Thursday, December 29, 2005 11:25 AM
I've done it several times, It sucks. But if your still interested in building a trans, I have a 2.4 Izuzu case that's perfect, but 5th gear is shot inside, so it's due for a rebuild. You can chose whatever compatible internals to throw inside of it and go to town, but like Lenko said, it's not a simple job. Let me know though.....

Friday, December 30, 2005 3:33 AM
i have a tranny out of my 99 z24 perfecet condition
Friday, December 30, 2005 11:55 AM
well i took it to a tranny guy, and he has rebuilt 100's of them, and he said with the 2.4's you can swap alot of the 2.2 parts in with it, but you will lose some bottom end and gain in the top.the only thing that will help them is a locker, the spider gears are really weak, so i took got him to take them out then i made some outta a few blocks of steel i had at the shop,and had them hardened and now its being rebuilt now, all it needed was the 5th gear and the shift fork, and the case....i had to weld up the hole.
Friday, December 30, 2005 4:27 PM
Ah, I have a machined diff too. I should have told you earlier, oh well.

Monday, January 02, 2006 7:30 AM
lol, how do you like it? work good
Monday, January 02, 2006 9:24 AM
It's not installed, I just put a new trans in before I got it. That's why I'm considering selling it, no use for it.

Monday, January 02, 2006 12:02 PM
how much are you asking for it, i could more than likely sell it easly

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search