gear ratios - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gear ratios
Friday, December 23, 2005 9:35 PM
hello im wondering what the stock gear ratios of a 4T40E 4 speed ATX are and how exactly you go about changing gear ratios? i read in another post on here about a guy doing it jus curious how it is done. thanks for any info.....

Re: gear ratios
Saturday, December 24, 2005 6:32 AM
In order to change the gear ratios, you would have to phsyically change the gears. Now, if you're talking about shift points, that's more computer controlled.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, December 24, 2005 9:26 AM
so to get a more performance oriented gear ratio i would pull certain gears off right? and also on shift points if i use a full stand alone such as greddy emanage ultimate or AEM would those include the ability to work shift points around?
Saturday, December 24, 2005 8:11 PM
Yes to change the change the gear ratio you would have to change the final drive gears, The simple version of getting to these is remove the side cover remove the channel plate and there they are. It is a little complicated but not out of the relm of a patient person lol. If you get me the broadcast code off the trans ID tag I'll be able to tell ya what your gear ratio is, what you can switch it to and what car to ge tthe parts from. The ID tag is on the passenger side rear of the trans just below the VSS. The number I need is in the left column second set down, it's 4 digits the first one will be a number and the next 3 will be letters.

You can electronicly control shift points with a stand alone just make sure the unit You buy has been tested with the 4t60e, I learned my leasson the hard way.

85 fiero GT 3800 sc swap in progress
98 Sunfire 4.9 and AWD swap in progress
85 S-10 turbocharged 3800
83 Citation x-11 turbocharged 3.1 with AWD 6000 running gear SOLD
94 Bonneville SLE daily driver
94 Bonneville SSEi wifes pearl pink daily driver
93 Bonneville SSEi I duno why
94 Bonneville SSEi parts for the rest of them

Saturday, December 24, 2005 8:25 PM
what stand alone would you recommend i purchase? and i will be able to get you the code tommorrow as its already dark out tonight... so yeah thanks for the info so far.
Saturday, December 24, 2005 8:32 PM
Both of the ones you listed should work fine I haven't used them myself but i know a little bit about them, and being their both pretty popular you should be fine.

85 fiero GT 3800 sc swap in progress
98 Sunfire 4.9 and AWD swap in progress
85 S-10 turbocharged 3800
83 Citation x-11 turbocharged 3.1 with AWD 6000 running gear SOLD
94 Bonneville SLE daily driver
94 Bonneville SSEi wifes pearl pink daily driver
93 Bonneville SSEi I duno why
94 Bonneville SSEi parts for the rest of them

Saturday, December 24, 2005 10:01 PM
Hell Fire (Ed Young) wrote:so to get a more performance oriented gear ratio i would pull certain gears off right? and also on shift points if i use a full stand alone such as greddy emanage ultimate or AEM would those include the ability to work shift points around?

The Greddy E-manage ultimate does not change shift points...

www.greddy.com wrote:GREDDY PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS INTRODUCES
THE e-MANAGE ULTIMATE (Engine Control Unit Manager)
Ideal for optimizing and fine-tuning performance products such as; Exhaust, Air Intake, Intercoolers, Boost Controllers and Turbo upgrades, the e-manage Ultimate does it better than any other system on the market. The GReddy e-manage Ultimate does what no other piggyback ECU can, engineered to preserve the best features of the original e-manage (Economically priced, there is no need for tuning from scratch and it is compatible with most Japanese performance vehicles). Some of the new Ultimate features include; add and subtract fuel and ignition maps, a two-preset memory, A/F Target Map (for self tuning), built-in adapters and correction maps, and extensive data logging with Map Tracing for easier tuning. The new e-manage Ultimate includes the Support Tool CD to access all features from a standard USB cable.

T J wrote:You can electronicly control shift points with a stand alone just make sure the unit You buy has been tested with the 4t60e, I learned my leasson the hard way

He has an 3rd Gen J-body 4-speed...it's a 4T40E, not an 4T60E. Also, a standalone wouldn't have anything to do with the transmission. As long as it gives you the option on the software to manipulate the shift points with the computer, that's all you need.

Saturday, December 24, 2005 10:20 PM
4T40E trans on 95-05 are all the same.

1st 2.960:1
2nd: 1.626:1
3rd: 1.000:1
4th: 0.681:1
Reverse: 2.143:1

FDR is 3.29 and effective (overall) ratio is 3.91

You can change the gears to affect the FDR... but I've never seen anyone bother.

Saturday, December 24, 2005 11:20 PM
and its that the lower the number the longer the gear stays active right? and also adam does the AEM like you wrote in your write up have the necessary programming available for everything? oh yeah and on another note MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE..
Monday, December 26, 2005 12:05 AM
The numbers have nothing to do with how long they stay active. That is determined by the PCM and the shift points programmed into it. At this point in time, I don't know of any way to reprogram them.

Monday, December 26, 2005 2:27 PM
just get stickshift

http://www.myspace.com/crdaonline

Monday, December 26, 2005 5:17 PM
the AEM can adjust transmission controls including shiftpoints

and for example a 2.6:1 gear ration will accelerate faster then a .6:1 gear ratio so if your talking about how 3rd gear really sucks in our trannies then youd be better off holding 2nd gear out to a higher rpm if possible so that when 3rd comes in itll be in a higher rpm and acclerate better

The one, the only, ME.
Monday, December 26, 2005 6:54 PM
AEM is a company... what product?

Monday, December 26, 2005 8:41 PM
Lenko, John Lenko wrote:AEM is a company... what product?

I believe he's takling about AEM EMS

Monday, December 26, 2005 8:46 PM
CRDAONLINE wrote:just get stickshift

Easier said than done lol

Monday, December 26, 2005 9:48 PM
NJHK (The JBO Negro) wrote:

exactly especially when i could throw that 2-3 grand that i would have to drop for a manual into a quaife lsd, autotrans interceptor, and a high stall torque convertor, and still have about a grand and a half to mess with.... plus i dont like holding onto sticks all day anyways i found a website a few days ago that builds up automatic transmissions and they build up 4t40e's forgot what the website is gonna have to give them a call and see what they do to it.... anyways thanks for the info so far.
Monday, December 26, 2005 9:51 PM
Hell Fire (Ed Young) wrote:
NJHK (The JBO Negro) wrote:

exactly especially when i could throw that 2-3 grand that i would have to drop for a manual into a quaife lsd, autotrans interceptor, and a high stall torque convertor, and still have about a grand and a half to mess with.... plus i dont like holding onto sticks all day anyways i found a website a few days ago that builds up automatic transmissions and they build up 4t40e's forgot what the website is gonna have to give them a call and see what they do to it.... anyways thanks for the info so far.

That would be a great find...serach man, SEARCH! lol

*job

Monday, December 26, 2005 9:51 PM
LOL I meant...

Monday, December 26, 2005 10:15 PM
ahhh this sucks my damn history cleared =o( oh well ill look a bit and then when i get home from work tommorrow ill look some more.....
Monday, December 26, 2005 10:57 PM
Level Ten...?

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 3:47 AM
Lenko, John Lenko wrote:Level Ten...?

probably lol

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 4:52 AM
no it wasnt level 10 but i might check there and see if they do one.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search