Autotrans sometimes slips! - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Autotrans sometimes slips!
Saturday, December 10, 2005 3:52 PM
Sometimes usually when hot it appears as if the tcc won´t apply or slips it´s when you have to put it in park or neutral for a moment then back to Drive... After a lot of searching found that the 4t40e usually suffers from a sticking valve (Oregon Performance Trannnys the kit to fix this is from Sonnax) it´s the TCC regulated apply valve, the symtoms are what my tranny is doing) to fix it I´ll have to rebore and put a new sleeve made of high quality aluminium, sonnax kit $37... Ok till here... but the reamer kit which they say is needed is $275... ! .... so it be over $300 doing it myself ...if I don´t f.. up something....Now I also found the complete valve body for something like $285 (WWW.WITTRANS.COM CLICK ON SEARCH AND ENTER IN U14740 you have to match the cast nbrs) this is cheaper and less risky I guess? So i´m confused.... someone help... should i buy the complete thing??Have anyone dealt with this supposed often ocurring problem with the 4t40e tranny?

Re: Autotrans sometimes slips!
Saturday, December 10, 2005 9:42 PM
Be sure to install a trany cooler you can pick one up cheap about 35 bucks the biggest problem with the 4t is poor circulation on cooling the fluid!
Sunday, December 11, 2005 1:30 PM
I got the tranny cooler from Summit for about that price, also installed a Autotrans Interceptor wich improved some the performance of the tranny.
Monday, December 12, 2005 5:21 PM
By the way made a mistake and connected the tranny cooler to the power steering.... to do it right will have to get new hoses with the fittings from the old ones on tranny side... for the moment I have a well cooled power sterring fluid
Monday, December 12, 2005 11:37 PM
Did you check the trans fluid level first?

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 9:02 AM
I´m looking forward to check the level since there is no dipstick I´m not completely sure where is the plug under the car, read somewhere it´s located under the harness at the front of the tranny??
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 1:43 PM
Passenger side, by the axle.

[ulr]http://www.quality-trans.com/faq/faq8.htm#41

If nothing else... add some fluid. See if that solves it before you go buying expensive parts

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 3:54 PM
John Thanks for the info, I think finally I located the plug just under the two hoses that take the trans fluid to the radiator, will check the level.
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 7:20 AM
My mistake... wrong plug. It has to be on passenger side. I´ll check this afternon and let you all know.
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 12:32 PM
I think its on the driverside. Im pretty sure it is.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 12:41 PM
It's on the passenger side. 11mm bolt. Anything else is wrong.

That plug by the cooler lines is for a pressure gauge.

Read the link, it will tell you everything you need to know... the car has to be level, running, and up to normal operating temperature.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 12:45 PM
If you don't feel like you can check the fluid level yourself many dealerships will do it for you as part of a free check up service esp. if you got the car from there.

--------------
Yea, ummmm. I used to have a J-body...
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 1:29 PM
At last I found the little plug, Lenko is right of course it is on the passenger side at least in the Z-24 1996 I checked it at normal operating temp ( engine was off ) and it spilled about 1/4 to 1/2 of a liter. Damn I guess have to check it again with engine runing.
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 1:40 PM
After I check my tranny fluid level and asuming it´s OK. Guess my tranny problem is the regulated apply valve wich takes me back to my first post on this thread, have anyone changed the sleeve of this valve? Is the reamer tool really required or could I use something else, drill, dremel or something? not to spend the almost $300 of the reamer tool.
Friday, December 16, 2005 6:01 PM
Tranny cooler is now working and put back the power steering small radiator too...space was tiny but it all fitted OK.
Sunday, December 18, 2005 10:41 PM
well on my auto the plug was ont teh drive side rite behind the block. This is on a LD9 motor or Z24 with an auto. Just a thought. driver side at least im pretty sure tahst what it was.

Thanx Charles
Monday, December 19, 2005 7:04 PM
No, the plug is on the passenger side it is a 11mm plug it is to the back close to some harness and wires, the one on the driver side is at the front and is where you may use a pressure gauge to measure the pressure of the automatic transmission. I plan to do that and then with the Interceptor rise the pressure some 15 psi.
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 9:26 PM
you can probably find a new tranny for the cost of all that crap.. how many miles are on the car. its a 96 i would assume some what of alot id just check car-part for a tranny personally

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 5:01 AM
For those who couldn't get the link, Here's Lenko's link to ATRA for the 4T40E Fluid Check. Just follow the directions. Hardest part would be getting under a level car.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 8:40 AM
Thks for the info .
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 9:00 AM
Nice looks on that blue Z-24... congratulations Brandon. My tranny has some 66000 miles and I changed the oil and filter about a year ago when I had a new 7/8 2.4l from GM put in. (Planing to rebuild the old one with brute force on it... next year) For now after raising the Interceptor to 100% all is ok so I´m just letting the tranny stay.
By the way how comfortable is the vertical doors to get in and out of the car?

Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:57 AM
Thanx man. Vertical doors are quite easy to use they can ither open lik a reg. door or go up it all works out good luck with the trans man.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 6:34 PM
Wow, terrific... do both versions do the same, chinese is half price but doubt it´s quality?
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 5:33 PM
Finally I could check the tranny oil level the right way, vehicle raised and level, running and at normal op. temp. moved the selector to all shifts then remove the plug, it was short by 3 qtrs. Thanx to you all guys for the links.
Sunday, January 01, 2006 8:33 PM
If you do that valve body modification. Use the correct tools. You can't micky mouse it and expect it to work. If you had a machinist friend, he could probably do the reaming or boring much cheaper than the cost of those tools.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search