Q about boost threshold - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Q about boost threshold
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:59 PM
Ok so i have read maximum boost by Corky Bell, and the first time i read
it it really didnt sink in. So i picked it up again and have been reading it. I am ready to buy
my turbo and i keep going back and forth with a couple turbos. And after reading this book again it has just opened up more and more Q than answers. but here i am asking about boost threshold. Thank for all the help. this will make up my mind i think.

So am i correct to say that i can have a turbo with a boost threshold of lets just say 1800rpm and still not be into boost at 3000rpm as long as I'm not at w.o.t. see it would be nice to have a lower boost threshold for me cause I'm not a track person nor a street racer. i only wanted boost to come in at 3000 rpm so could still drive the car normally(no boost) if i wanted. sorry if this is a newbie Q . any info on this subject would really help me out thanks...

Re: Q about boost threshold
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 6:04 PM
My boost comes on at around 1800 RPM if I'm not on it, and I can stay in vacuum going down the highway and the street if I don't need to be in boost.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 6:09 PM
your exhaust turbine A/R is what determins when you will start to build boost.
an A/R of .48 will spool up quicker then say a A/R .63
but the .48 A/R will max itself out befor the .63
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 6:13 PM
thanks. so as long as you drive normally you could stay out of boost no mater what turbo
you have on your car. for the most part.

having a smaller turbo that spools so quick do you fill any top end power loss. i guess loss is a bad word to use but i think you know what i mean.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 6:30 PM
yes having a smaller turbo can effect top end power.
your foot is the deciding factor for boost. if you drive like grandma you will get normal gas mileage with little boost and little power. if your foot is a lead weight you will drink your gas have high boost and you will have the power.
Thursday, January 05, 2006 4:55 AM
I suggest a .63 ar.. I have a .48 on mine now but had the .63 and miss my top end with the .63

although my .63 didnt full spool till like 3600 rpms where as my .48 is full spooled by 3k

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, January 05, 2006 2:00 PM
I have a boguht a turbo with a 68 My turbo spools up after I lock up the car and go inside.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Thursday, January 05, 2006 2:45 PM
haha. its all in the foot, and in the turbo. you can be at the redline, but if youre only barely holding it there, or going down a hill without pressing the gas, and not see ANY boost. or, if youre in the mid range (even 2500 or below) and you put the pedal to the floor, the boost will start creeping up there. when my secondary fuel pump went out, i realized you can drive completely out of boost.... just very very carefully.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search