Is this okay? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is this okay?
Friday, November 18, 2005 1:00 PM
I'm just about to start my Turbo installation and just had a quick question.

I'm taking it one step at a time since it's my only ride right now......anywayz is there any harm in installing an FMU say for 2 weeks WITHOUT boost. I know it doesn't activate until boost levels have been achieved but I wanna play it safe.

It's just that I don't wanna cram everything at once when I fully get into the installation.

Re: Is this okay?
Friday, November 18, 2005 1:02 PM
I don't see a problem with it, but I could be wrong...

Any others?

Friday, November 18, 2005 2:23 PM
It shouldn't raise your fuel pressure till you put boost to it.
So like him i see no problem.

Friday, November 18, 2005 2:47 PM
So it going in then guys, thanks.

Friday, November 18, 2005 3:47 PM
well if you want to make sure it does NOTHING AT ALL

LEAVE THE VAC UNHOOKED ........... then it acts like theres nothing there....... I had my fmu hooked up and didn't have vac line .... so I had to drive my car to napa....... to get some ..... if there is no vac source there is no "boost reference" for the FMU to get a reading .....

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Sunday, November 20, 2005 10:00 PM
it wouldn't matter. unhooked or hooked up. it senses boost, and your motor without forced induction, makes nothing but vacum. there's no way it would sense any boost whatsoever, so yea so ahead and hook it right on up.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, November 21, 2005 9:19 AM
but if he has the cartech then cant it mess with the fuel pressure unless he tunes it?

DRIVE HARD OR DONT DRIVE AT ALL!!!

Monday, November 21, 2005 10:05 AM
The Cartech uses the onset screw to set base (0 vac) fuel pressure. So if he has the Cartech he will just have to make sure the Cartech is set to less psi than the inrail fpr. Go ahead and install it, but back off the onset screw.

2000 Turbo Z
Monday, November 21, 2005 12:51 PM
Even an adjustable FMU (like the Cartech or Bell Engineering FMU, as mentioned) shouldn't mess with fuel pressure. Higher pressure in the manifold lets less gas flow through the FMU. The fuel "backing up" because the FMU won't let it through is what causes higher pressure in your fuel rail. It's a bass ackwards concept, but that's how it works.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search