Pictures Of A 3400 Turbo Setup - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pictures Of A 3400 Turbo Setup
Thursday, October 20, 2005 3:49 PM
Hi Guys
I just wanted to show you pictures of a 3400 turbo in a j-body but its in a 2nd gen and where I found the pictures was as at v6z24.com which im a member over there 2 but anyways here is the pictures.

Xtreme PC Concepts Opening Up Soon In Decatur Indiana

Re: Pictures Of A 3400 Turbo Setup
Thursday, October 20, 2005 4:02 PM
I could never figure why these guys drop all this money on a custom setup and then dont bother to throw in an IC.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Thursday, October 20, 2005 4:27 PM
geeez. where would you route the pipes anyway. but yeah i agree.

"IF YOU PERSIST IN DOING WHAT YOU HAVE ALWAYS DONE .....
EXPECT RESULTS NO DIFFERENT FROM WHAT YOU HAVE ALREADY ACHIEVED"

Thursday, October 20, 2005 4:53 PM
no room for a down pipe either

Thursday, October 20, 2005 5:13 PM
it does run from what brent says on his message on v6z24.com

Xtreme PC Concepts Opening Up Soon In Decatur Indiana
Thursday, October 20, 2005 7:00 PM
Down pipes are overrated!

But thats pretty sweet. My car will have that someday!!

Boosted 97 2.2L 5 Speed
Boosted 3.4L soon to come
Thursday, October 20, 2005 7:13 PM
Sunfire GTR wrote:Down pipes are overrated!

But thats pretty sweet. My car will have that someday!!

you may think so, but with the way thats set up its just asking for a fire and some big problems. it atleast needs something to direct the exhaust some where else besides the manifold, coil packs, head, and that wonderful looking paint on the intake manifold

Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:20 PM
they direct the open wastegate gas down, but nothing for the turbo?? also will have some problems with the oil drain being mostly horizontal from the turbo. sorry but looks cheap and thrown together. but I'll give him props on the work.

View my MySpace
Friday, October 21, 2005 4:08 AM
Does it occur to any of you that maybe the pictured setup isn't complete and the downpipe just isn't installed in the pic? duh..... There's plenty of room for it to ssnake between the turbo and manifold there, just gotta get a little creativ with the bends. And the reason for no intercooler is that if the turbo is matched well enough, than you can blow up to a certain amount of boost without needing one, so long as the tuning is done properly. There are turbo kits out there for the 3800 that make 300hp non-intercooled. I'm not saying that I would run without one, because an intercooler allows you to run more timing advance without detonation, but its not a crime to run things non intercooled. And its a lot safer to be non-intercooled on a big displacement, big turbo setup than on a little 4 banger with a smaller turbo.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, October 21, 2005 2:15 PM
Regardless of the size of the motor, running more than say 5 or 6psi of boost is probably not a good idea unless you use some sort of intercooler. At the very minimum, you'd want premium fuel, I would think no less than 91 or 92 octane. Looks like a killer setup, though. But wouldn't you NEED a downpipe if the car is ever going to be on the street? Cuz that's kinda how everything gets routed to the rest of the exhaust.

"Silly cluth, glazing is for donuts!"
Friday, October 21, 2005 2:21 PM
what part of "the car in the picture is under construction" don't you get?

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said

Friday, October 21, 2005 2:32 PM
I felt like having a moment. Seriously, though, it looks like it could be a sick ride. Now, I'm not all that familiar with GM yet, so forgive me, but what engine is the 3400? I guess the better question is why that particular engine instead of a 3800? That seems to be the V6 of choice. Educate me on this, cuz I personally am a Mitsubishi man, and I don't know much about every GM engine yet.

Friday, October 21, 2005 3:04 PM
It is out of a Lumina or a Malibu or something.
YOU CAN RUN 40 PSI in NON IC set up??
Ask Brent Rau, what he did when he blew the intercooler, he picked up a MPH and better ET.

IC's ARE overrated, if you motor is tuned right then you can care less for one.
That car is not done yet, there would be fire coming out of that Turbo on idle let alone any kind of boost. lol

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Friday, October 21, 2005 4:21 PM
3.4 is quite a bit easier to fit (almost a bolt-in for people who already have the 3.1L V6), and makes about the same power as a N/A 3800 (which requires some.... "massaging" of the engine bay to fit).

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, October 22, 2005 5:22 AM
The intercooler theory is sort of subjective. Yes, many of the NHRA drivers run without intercoolers, and they run upwards of 40psi and sometimes more, but they're also not running pump gas. But if you try to run 40psi on gas from the local Kum and Go you're pretty much screwed. I for one wouldn't want to risk it. An intercooler is just cheap insurance.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search