Thinking About A 2001 Cavy - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thinking About A 2001 Cavy
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 3:07 PM
Hey everyone,

i posted this in the third gen forum, and was directed over here. Im looking at purchasing a 2001 cavy coupe with a 2.2 and only 42000 miles. Is it reasonable that i could get a good 250-275 hp if i either s/c or turbo'd it? i would a;lso get an aftermarket throttlebody, air intake, heads, cams, and headers as well as a full exhaust system among other things. basically anything other than spray or touching the bottom end.

is anyone running close to these kind of numbers? if you are, how was the experience and would you do anything different? i really like these cars because they are so light and when u make that kind of hp, they become really fun cars. i used to have a 88 2.8 v6 cavy as my first car before i killed the engine.

thanks

Re: Thinking About A 2001 Cavy
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 3:54 PM
Well, I dont have a s/c or turbo in my car yet. But from what I have heard around here in the forums. You could get up to almost 250 hp from those mods. But remember, some of those mods you listed would be replaced by a turbo, or s/c.

If you wanted to hit 275hp+ you would need to touch the bottom end. These car can run 12 psi with stock internals, which could get you to run 12.8 seconds in the quarter mile. And thats pretty fast. Now if you touch up the bottom end (pistons, head swap/ work) you could boost your car even more. Also, new fuel pumps are a must have with a turbo. But yah, with some work, a little to the bottom end, and some quality products (hahne racecraft stage 2 turbo), I dont see why you couldn't hit 275 hp or more. I think I have seen some people on this site w/ 300 hp.
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 7:18 PM
thanks,

i just wanted to make sure that the 2001 wasnt like an odd year. i noticed alot of turbo kits were up to 2000 or 2002 an on. thought maybe it was a bad year to have or something. i did notice that the cavy i was looking at was the 2.2 that has only 115 hp (boo). i have a line on a good condition 2003 ls coupe for the low 6k range that i may pick up. i know that having a 2.2 ecotec, id have no problem running that kind of hp.
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 7:54 PM
if its not an eco 2.2 then you are going to have a much harder time getting to that 250/275 mark and there aren't any superchargers for that motor. I don't believe that RSM has one, and they are the only company that has a cetrifucal supercharger for any cav that I know of. The only thing you could do is turbo it and I would SEARCH around this forum for more information on how much boost you can run through a 2.2

Scott

When I boost, you boost, we boost
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search