possible fmu issue, fuels tapering down - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
possible fmu issue, fuels tapering down
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 9:45 PM
heres wjhat i noticed was happening tonite, i was coming home, came into boost, the car got up to about 75 psi where it normally sits under boost and then it would taper down to about 65 or so and hold there, boos ttapers down a bit to but even under lower boost settings i was always seeing around 70 - 78 psi of fuel pressure, i was playing withthe fmu trying to dump some more fuel to be on the asafe side and wasnt seeing a difference. heres a problem im having, its an ati brand fmu, basically the same company that makes procharger if i remember right but my buddy says it looks like the vortec ones that hes seen, now when i turn the screw all the way out it starts affecting my vacuum so i cant turn it out too far, im not sure if going in or going out raises the fuel pressure or not. slight changes dont seem to register enough for me to notice, then againits hard to drive under boost and watch the dman guage on the dash. maybe someone can shed some light on this.

also one more thing, im running an internal wastegate with a 5.5 pound spring but i cant seem to get over 10 pounds of boost with it. now i know these things wil lcreep in cold weather and ive seen it do so, but some days i can get 10 pounds in the daytime and some days only about 7 or 8 which is what i was seeing tonite coming home from work, actually it would hit 10 and then taper back to just under 8 from what i could see. my problem is my home made manual boost controller wont let me adjust to a higher boost setting, going from the stock to 8 pounds was just a twist away, ive turned the damn thing almost 4 full turns and its still not going any higher, is it a wastegate issue, is the boost controller just too much of a piece of crap? im running a line directly from a nipple on the turbo to the boost controller and then to the wastegate. it should be hooked up right, the side with the little hole in the fitting goes to the wastegate, prevents it from sticking fomr what i understand. anyways, any input would be great

parting out my built and boosted 97 z24 so4x4.com/cavy.html for pics and a parts list

Re: possible fmu issue, fuels tapering down
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 10:27 PM
sounds like your fuel pump is going....

I know i was told to watch for fuel pressure drop at high rpms and cutting out.... those are signs of the stock pump going

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:29 PM
pump is a walbro aftermarket unit, my second one, better not be going, lol. it doesnt drop down below what wot would be at without boost, still above, gonna play with the vac lines on sunday

parting out my built and boosted 97 z24 so4x4.com/cavy.html for pics and a parts list
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:41 PM
i agree sounds like a pump

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 10:37 AM
well lets hpoe its not, because im not buying another walbro if it is, my last one lasted a few months and this one has been in the car for a month, lol.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 10:14 PM
definatly boost related, boost spiked a few times and the fuel went with it and when it held the fuel did to, i gotta check the vacuum lines, damn home made kits

oh but wihe playing around i got up to about 135- 140 mph and went oh crap too fast, gonna slow down now

Thursday, October 06, 2005 4:22 AM
i used a turkey baster to check my FMU a long time ago...
all i did was disconnect the vacume line and give the FMU a positive pressure wheil i wached the fuel guage.

"forcast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius and a chance of doom"

Thursday, October 06, 2005 6:16 AM
thats an intreesting way of doing things, i think ive got something similar i can use, or il ljust get someone to blow into the line, lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search