pistons ??? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
pistons ???
Monday, October 03, 2005 12:26 PM
Ok I figured it would be easier to buy jpb 2200 performance block my ? is
running a turbo setup at between 10 & 15 psi and a 75 nitrous shot what
ratio should I go for and your reason for your answer I talked to a guy from jegs
and he said a 7 to 1 would be best I confused

Re: pistons ???
Monday, October 03, 2005 9:19 PM
This is kind of off topic, but why not just run 25-30 psi of boost instead of doing 15-20psi AND nitrous?

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Monday, October 03, 2005 9:36 PM
7:1 ratio pistons is ungodly crazy low compression. do they even make them for the 2.2

Monday, October 03, 2005 10:24 PM
snoop that's too stupid man. start off with 8.5:1 compression and about 15 psi. you'll need a high level of tuning, drivetrain work, and a lot of work just to get to that mark.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 2:54 PM
7:1 would be custom but that is what the guy from jegs told me personally I wanted 9:1 and I want to keep it on the street side more than track caues I will still drive it on weekends or night and Abe you know how much trouble I'm havin anyway so its not like its much more than what I'm already coming out of pocket for and the nitrous is just a little helper to get movin and I got another safc and I've been reading up on the megasquirt which for the price seems to work well or I think with both should do ok
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 5:29 PM
sycx 1 A.K.A snoop wrote:7:1 would be custom but that is what the guy from jegs told me personally I wanted 9:1 and I want to keep it on the street side more than track caues I will still drive it on weekends or night and Abe you know how much trouble I'm havin anyway so its not like its much more than what I'm already coming out of pocket for and the nitrous is just a little helper to get movin and I got another safc and I've been reading up on the megasquirt which for the price seems to work well or I think with both should do ok

well if you are ready to spend $6000 on motor and turbo project... then ok I'm here to help ya. But in all honesty, you'd be wiser to start off with 8.5:1 compression, and 15 to 20 psi with good tuning. Even there you will need more than just forged internals. Think of the fuel and drivetrain mods you will need. And that right there will set you possibly in the 12s. How much better do you wanna go man?

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 7:10 PM
Well I have the new feul pump & fpr ,bought it when I got my nx kit that susposed to support up to 500 hp I'll get RC injectors and for tranny I was looking into that so called bullet prof tranny for the auto's and really If you look at it thats not much
cause internals would be $1200 lookin about $800 for shop work then probly another $1500 just to pull and replace motor and tranny plus $3000 for a intercooled turbo setup and I would hate to do all that to a block that keep snaping timing chains like twiggs plus my # 1 cylinder is screwed so any way I look I'm going to spend $5 to 6 grand so might as well start off fresh
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 12:34 PM
best of luck in your endeavors... but like i will tell ya, this bulletproof transmission you speak of, you're probably looking at 3grand right there... plus axles and everything else

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 12:43 PM
I agree...we've had excellent success with 8.5-9.0:1 pistons. With all due respect to your Jeg's representative, he may be generalizing a bit, he's got a million applications to keep track of. What's that old saying..."Jack of all trades, Master of none."

Most of the piston companies offer 'off the shelf' (non-custom) pistons in this range, thereby also improving lead times and pricing.

You came to the right place for your info...the Org!

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 3:11 PM
I just don't beleive in short cuts when it comes to my ride hey Bill whats up with the hahn 2200 turbo and abe it's just like havin a kid whatever they need u must provide it
and like I said tranny is already shot just like the motor a new tranny would run me bout $2400 any way so Y not get one that is already made instead of breakin it down rebuild and replace and save a couple $$ and axles already been found up to 300hp
right were I want to get any way
Friday, October 07, 2005 8:35 AM
7:1 is way to low. Your off boost performance is going to be so bad you won't even like to drive it on the street. Personally I prefer 8.5-9.0:1 for street/strip boosted cars. Your off boost performance will be good.

I'm just starting to get into J-Bodies. I have a 400 HP 1GB AWD Talon atm running 25 PSI on 91 pump gas. It's still the stock bottom end running 7.8:1 CR. I plan to turbo the sunfire before I build my talons motor. It's fast enough to eat almost every honda in Las Vegas.

If you want to use large amounts of "boost" then maybe think of 8:1 CR. But your gas milage will go down and of course the more you boost the more fuel you will use.

Maglin
92 Talon TSI AWD Turbo (HX-35 @ 25 PSI on Pump) 400 AWHP
99 Sunfire (Mostly stock, Lowered w/wheels) Soon to see boost.

Friday, October 07, 2005 10:54 AM
Well I trust all your decisions for the 8:5-9.0:1 is what I'm going with

THANKS JBODY
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search