cams with supercharger......what ones - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cams with supercharger......what ones
Saturday, October 01, 2005 8:31 AM
hey im going to change my lifters and i was wondering while im in there what cams i could put in my ld9 engine with the gm blower. i was looking at the jbody performance cams but i heard you need special boost cams with lower duration or something. help me out in what cams to put in my ld9 and tell me what i have to modify and all to put them in. i also have a set of 2.3 ho cams sitting around. thanks

Re: cams with supercharger......what ones
Saturday, October 01, 2005 8:46 AM
Well so far the "secret cam swap" seems to be the best swap for boost it is a mild cam.

here is some info for you. I have posted this so many times.
Well, I guess I will let the cat out of the bag now. For over a year now I have been speculating about using Quad4 cams in the LD9 as upgrades. The first idea cam from here -->http://babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar40032.htm

Since the 95 spec cam has the required cam position sensor lobe and the power steering drive, it should work.

Next I found the specs for the Mantapart street cams:
Mantapart Mild Cams Specs
198 degrees @ .050" with .360" lift for the intake
201 degrees @ .050" with .374" lift for the exhaust

What I saw was this:
1995 Cam Specs
200 degrees @ .050" with .360" lift for the intake
200 degrees @ .050" with .360" lift for the exhaust
LD2 (1990+) Cam Specs
200 degrees @ .050" with .375" lift for the intake
200 degrees @ .050" with .375" lift for the exhaust

Note the 95 intake and the LO Exhaust! Pretty darn close eh!

So I was always wanting to try this theory out, but was unable to find the time or courage to do it. That is where my buddies Mark and Colin came in. Mark really wanted to do this, so he went to alot of effort to find the cams. Colin (V6HO) came in and did the install into Mark's car, and it ran great with no codes.

Next up was Aaron's (Pimpin2da4) car the day before he left for the bash. Judging by him being the only NA car in the Quick 8, I think that the cams show what is possible.

I thought it more prudent to share this with everyone so the whole can benefit from the knowledge gained.

Now, everyone wanting to do this, hit up your local junkyard and get tuning!
www.GMPartsDirect.com

24574239 Intake camshaft for LG0(95 2.3DOHC) $197.64
22545390 Exhaust cam for LD2(Pre-95 2.3DOHC) $197.64

12355988 - Intake or exhaust cam carrier gaskets (upper and lower)
12363173 - Intake or exhaust cam carrier gaskets (upper and lower)
24575512 - Tensioner. Not required, but if you have timing chain noise..change this. Also, be sure you are familiar with how this part works because it has to be pre-loaded once installed to snug up the timing chain.
24575513 - Tensioner shoe. This will probably break when you remove, so change it anyway.
24575255 - Guide. Not required unless yours are worn.
24575257 - Guide. Same as above.
24575256 _ Guide. Same as above.
992704 - Assembly Lube. Good idea to coat the cam lobes and the carriers where the cam contacts with this stuff.
992869 - Oil supplement. The GM manual calls for this stuff when you do the cams.
12360464 - I think this # is the timing chain cover gasket. (optional)
245752453 - I think this is rthe # for the water pump gasket kit. This is only required if you are doing your water pump. I did my water pump and thermostat at the same time as the cams
----------CAM UPGRADE----------

The intake cam is from a 1995 (only) 2.3L Quad 4 engine.. the eighth digit in the VIN is a letter D. Can be found in 1995 Cavalier Z24's, Sunfire GT's, and Olds Achievas. Brand new, it's
Melling MC832

--->GM part #24574239($197.64). If you're looking under hoods, the casting number on the cam is 245/742 (which IS the same number as the 2.4L LD9, but has 0.360" of lift), and the casting number on the cam housing/carrier is 24574057.

The exhaust cam is from a 1990-94 (only) 2.3L Quad 4 engine.. VIN D as well. Can be found in 90-94 Grand Am's, Olds Cutlass, Calais, Acheiva, and Buick Skylark. Brand new, it's
--->GM part #24570698 or #22545390 (a little confusion there)($197.64). The cam casting numbers are 255/455 (which IS the same number as the HO cams, but only has 0.3750" of lift, not 0.410") and the housing/carrier itself is 22542963.

If you are going to do this swap, here is the complete list of gaskets required. I bought them not as kits because I didn't want to be left over with gaskets I didn't need. When I compared costs briefly with Nate, it would appear that I didn't spend more than him and may have even saved some money because the kit he got had the head gasket, and I didn't get a head gasket. YOU DON"T NEED A HEAD GASKET FOR THE CAM SWAP! I also bought a new timing chain cover gasket, but you don't need to. Unless yours is leaking, you can re-use it. If your car is pre 1997, you may want to change it while you are in there anyway. Here are the GM part numbers

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:03 AM
so basically it swaps right in with new gaskets and lubes? also what kind of lifters can i use? 2.4 high rev's?

Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:30 AM
It will take about 8 hours if you are a compitent mechanic but havent done the swap. Its not hard at all. JBP has the High rev lifters you are lookin for. I cant really gauge just doin cams for ya though since when I did the swap for a friend I also pulled the head and ported and polished it . Deff change the gaskets though, thats one area not worth cheapin out.

2002 Z28: Slp coldair Pac, Corsa Catback, 3200 stall

Saturday, October 01, 2005 12:57 PM
so basically all i do is take my 95 2.3 HO cams and swap them where the 2.4 ones were and put new lube and gaskets on and use 2.4 lifters (stock or aftermarket?) on the cams and start her up and ill notice what? more torque or what? thanks guys

Saturday, October 01, 2005 1:06 PM
you will notice it a lot more with a ported head.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Saturday, October 01, 2005 5:33 PM
i got them seceret cams and they are awesome. i got them for 75$ for the two plus a HO intake manifold which i sold for 35$.

i just replaced the stock cams with the seceret, and got some new cam tower gaskets. But the engine i put them in had 12k miles when we did the cam swap B4 we installed the motor into my car.

u will notice that from 4k rpms on you will smile. Also a 9lb flywheel will get you there faster .

Saturday, October 01, 2005 8:12 PM
well i got HO cams right now so this week im gonna get LO cams and do the secret swap i guess. shall be nice with my jbp lifters

wonder if ill drop any tenths at the track with the supercharger, n02 and my new cams? im running 14.1 now

Saturday, October 01, 2005 8:56 PM
A friend of mine is using a stock intake cam with a 2.3 HO exhaust cam. He really likes it, claims a nice gain in the top end.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 1:17 AM
Skilz10179 wrote:A friend of mine is using a stock intake cam with a 2.3 HO exhaust cam. He really likes it, claims a nice gain in the top end.

the HO exhaust cam instead of the LO? hmmmmmmmmmm... wouldn't that be too much duration for boost?

Sunday, October 02, 2005 5:38 AM
hey my boy said he has a 93 or 34 grand am with a 2.3 engine but it only says ohc so is that the LO cam i need or do i need a dohc version? thanks

Sunday, October 02, 2005 7:14 AM
Spotabee Racing wrote:
Skilz10179 wrote:A friend of mine is using a stock intake cam with a 2.3 HO exhaust cam. He really likes it, claims a nice gain in the top end.

the HO exhaust cam instead of the LO? hmmmmmmmmmm... wouldn't that be too much duration for boost?

No.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Sunday, October 02, 2005 12:23 PM
jsunfireGT2000 wrote:hey my boy said he has a 93 or 34 grand am with a 2.3 engine but it only says ohc so is that the LO cam i need or do i need a dohc version? thanks

Nope. if it just says OHC it's the Single Overhead Cam motor. the LO will say Quad 4 DOHC

Sunday, October 02, 2005 12:58 PM
i know a guy too running the set up like skillz said. but i think he has the ho cam tower with the cam (exhuast).

Sunday, October 02, 2005 2:49 PM

I have heard the same thing. Stock intake cam specs are very similar to 95 LGO intake cam. I think that big part of the hp gain is due to exhaust cam. I think.

Anyway what supercharged cam specs do you think will be used with OEM ECU with SC program and wild enough to produce good gains without issues or CEL's or MIL's?

Regards,

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 7:25 PM
^ my buddy was running the GM s/c reflash with that cam set up talked about above. No issues.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 8:52 PM
So in that case we have to figure which cam setup has the best cost effective ratio? The standard secret cam setup, or the stock intake cam the the HO exhaust cam with the proper HO cam housing.

Monday, October 03, 2005 7:23 AM
ya to use a HO cam you must use a HO cam tower....

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Monday, October 03, 2005 11:53 AM
Taetsch Z24 wrote:ya to use a HO cam you must use a HO cam tower....

Chris

Or have it machined.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Monday, October 03, 2005 12:05 PM
and if you have that kind of money just get custam cams so you can have better lift on the intake side too

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Monday, October 03, 2005 12:17 PM
Taetsch Z24 wrote:and if you have that kind of money just get custam cams so you can have better lift on the intake side too

Chris

I was actually talking about the intake side. I have both intake and exhaust 2.3 HO cams in my motor. Exhaust side just used a 2.3 cam housing but for the itake side the stock 2.4 cam housing had to be machined.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Monday, October 03, 2005 12:19 PM
correct me if im wrong... but you dont need the cam sencer right?

and how did you get the hex in the HO cam for the PS?

and were did you get that done....?

thanks

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Monday, October 03, 2005 12:28 PM
Taetsch Z24 wrote:correct me if im wrong... but you dont need the cam sencer right?

and how did you get the hex in the HO cam for the PS?

and were did you get that done....?

thanks

Chris

Yes, the cam has a cam sensor lobe welded to it as well as the end drilled out and hex fitting pressed in to run the power steering pump. The housing was bored to accept 35mm pre 95 2.3 lifters as well as machined in a few other areas to clear the cam lobes. The cam and cam housing were done by Miller Performance. [URL=www.millerperformance.com]www.millerperformance.com[/URL]

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Monday, October 03, 2005 12:30 PM
thanks

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Monday, October 03, 2005 12:30 PM
Disreguard that last link, this is the right one http://www.miller-performance.com/

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search